Breaking Bad

Kejan

Up to season 3 episode 10 on this. Season 3 for me has been a bit poor, that 'fly' episode was fucking shit.

Overall its a decent show but nowhere near as good as what its made out to be, people saying this is up there with The wire and The Sopranos are mental.

Just don't see where its going to be honest, have been wanting Jesse to get killed for a while now.

Those 2 Mexican hitmen....

This is why I avoided everything to do with BB until I'd finished watching it.

I disagree with your post but I can see why you've said it.

ETA: fwiw I thought the fly episode was excellent as it shows how controlling Walt is and needs to be, even over something as insignificant as a fly.

Edited by James Keatings

Probably built up too much for you to enjoy it fully, dontcha just hate when that happens. You're right though, it's not up there with The Wire, it's far better than that hugely overrated show.

The two aren't really comparable imo. The Wire is more of a social commentary (albeit it a very cynical one) offering many different perspectives, where Breaking Bad is more like a joyride from the perspective of Walter White/Heisenberg. I preferred the wire, but also really enjoyed Breaking Bad.

The two aren't really comparable imo. The Wire is more of a social commentary (albeit it a very cynical one) offering many different perspectives, where Breaking Bad is more like a joyride from the perspective of Walter White/Heisenberg. I preferred the wire, but also really enjoyed Breaking Bad.

Good post.

My personal opinion stems from The Wire shooting too many blanks as it progressed, certainly a lot more so than BB. Viewer investment in the individuals in a broader character base and more plotlines versus the intense investment in what was happening to Walt, Jesse, and the other main characters to a much lesser extent.

Game of Thrones is even broader in terms of plotlines and possibly characters, but creates much better viewer investment in the characters than The Wire. I only really gave a shit about McNulty, the Hispanic woman partner, the straight laced black dude climbing the ranks, and of course the shotgun dude. Oh and the trolley dude.

/ramble

Edited by banana

Being currently about halfway through S4 of Breaking Bad it's really struggling here. I agree that the fly episode was shit, and for whatever you want to say about the show being fast paced or whatever, it's hit a wall here.

Not to mention I find all of the characters completely shallow to the point of being caricatured emotions and nothing else. Aside from Hank, he's actually interesting. The rest are wallopers.

Come back and give us your thoughts once you've watched season 4 and 5. You're just getting to the good stuff.

Yeah, to be fair the end of season 3 was good. I was going to give it a break before season 4 but its hooked me in....

Can't decide if Jesse's killed that dude or not.

Problem Dog was on Spike tonight. Hank's scene at the end of that episode is on par with anything throughout the series, for my money.

Yeah, to be fair the end of season 3 was good. I was going to give it a break before season 4 but its hooked me in....

Can't decide if Jesse's killed that dude or not.

Very envious that you've still got it all to watch!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read the thread but finished watching series 4 recorded from Spike.

The thread of cause and effect running through is brilliant, this coupled with the manipulation by various characters adds to the enjoyment.

Gus walking out of the old uncles room after the bomb went off was fucking hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, been watchin on spike.

Season 4 and the end of season 5 were really good.

Im also going to start sons of anarchy as i've had the first 4 seasons on dvd for a few years now and never opened it.

Edited by Fisherman

Also finished it on Spike. Extremely glad it's over. An absurd show which garnered praise it didn't deserve which will be roundly forgotten about in ~5 years.

I get your relief man, i'm often slogging through 5 seasons of stuff i don't rate..........holy f**k

I've recently watched the whole thing season 4 where it's all going off with Gas is the best one. I felt it really lost the humour as it went on and just turned darker.

I felt it was as much about Jessie developing emotionally as it was about Walts descent. Also anyone else think Walt junior looked more like Ted?

In terms of great tv shows it had its moments but I think every Dexter was better and it didn't get close to the first prison break.