Breaking Bad

Kejan

One wee criticism about the most recent episode is that I found Jesse's realisation about the ricin cigarette and Brock's poisoning a bit unconvincing. I appreciate he had his suspicions about this at the time, but the way that Huell's frisking caused the scales to fall from his eyes seemed uncharcteristically clunky.

I've only just finished the first half of season 5 so I don't want to read the thread in case of spoilers, but does Netflix put them up right after it finishes in the States? (if not, what time does it get put up in the UK?)

1 day later.

I've only just finished the first half of season 5 so I don't want to read the thread in case of spoilers, but does Netflix put them up right after it finishes in the States? (if not, what time does it get put up in the UK?)

The episodes finish in the US at 3am our time, and the episodes are then up on UK Netflix about 5 hours later.

Is the guy that Saul Goodman gets to act as the dodgy environmental health officer in order to influence the car wash owner into selling up the same guy who played Ralph in The Sopranos?

attachicon.gifSkylar-Phone-1312222724.jpg attachicon.gifimages (1).jpg

It's the comedian Bill Burr. You should watch some of his stand up, he's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY05HQHYvvA

Another great episode. Not quite as action-orientated, but it really sets things up for the final 4. There was an unbearably ominous sense of foreboding throughout, and I always thought that something big could happen at any point. The writers are little cockteases.

My particular highlight was Skyler's scene with Walt in which she told him that Jesse must be killed. Skysenberg indeed.

Anyway.. Walt will use a little bit of that ricin on somebody soon, and Marie will get the wrap for it after not deleting her internet search history for 'untraceable poisons'. BOOM.

Great, great episode. I really like where Jesse's storyline is going now. I've always thought he provided a great contrast to Walt's trajectory. He has the motivation to try to bury Walt and if the last four episodes are going to be almost a faceoff between the two, it'll be great.

I also like how Skylar is going deeper and deeper down the dark path with Walt to the point where she now finds the idea of murdering someone to keep their family safe acceptable.

Jesse Pinkman must seriously underrate Walter White if he thought that a big baldy guy in a leather jacket standing directly opposite looking right at him was his hired assassin.

Skylenberg to one side for a moment, I thought that Hank writing off Jesse as collateral damage showed him to be every bit as amoral as Walt. A possible twist might be that Walt's call to Meth Damon was in fact about Hank, rather than Jesse, although I don't see it personally.

That's me caught up to date now, what a great 12 episodes!

Jesse is fucking great, great character and Aaron Paul has been utterly fantastic. Saul is awesome tremendous, I'll be proper gutted if either of those two die. "a nuance discussion of the virtues of child poisoning", I was in stitches :ph34r:

I enjoyed this episode, the action may have died down but the tension was through the roof throughout the episode. It sets up the last 4 well, Jesse's always coming up with great ideas like the magnet for the hard drive and swapping the water for the methylene so hopefully this will be another one of those.

Jesse Pinkman must seriously underrate Walter White if he thought that a big baldy guy in a leather jacket standing directly opposite looking right at him was his hired assassin.

He's seriously paranoid though, and plus, he might not have walked because of that. He seemed to be dead certain about the plan of action after that. So he may have walked away anyways, regardless of what he thought of the guy looking at him.

On the points on Hank and Damon, yeah, I agree on the Damon part. Once again Walt showed that he cares about Jesse a fair bit. As for Hank and Jesse, I think he's just become so obsessed with catching Walt that he doesn't care what he does or who he does it do, he'll catch him. Obsession can do that to the best of people.

On the subject of Saul dying, I'm now taking it as a dead certainty, and think all of the spinoff nonsense has been to take us off the scent.

Wasn't really into that episode there.

Only livened up the last 10 minutes or so.

Think we can all get a bit carried away expecting a few plot twists and a murder or so in every episode. Episode 2 seemed a bit less gripping than 1 but it set up an unbelievable bit of TV in ep 3. Same here, everything's poised brilliantly for what comes next.

With Gomez now on board, Skyler seemingly now an evil bitch, Meth Damon re-entering the fold and Jessie fully turned against Walt, everyone has their balls out. :thumsup2

Another great episode. Not quite as action-orientated, but it really sets things up for the final 4. There was an unbearably ominous sense of foreboding throughout, and I always thought that something big could happen at any point. The writers are little cockteases.

My particular highlight was Skyler's scene with Walt in which she told him that Jesse must be killed. Skysenberg indeed.

Anyway.. Walt will use a little bit of that ricin on somebody soon, and Marie will get the wrap for it after not deleting her internet search history for 'untraceable poisons'. BOOM.

I like it. "He's luckier than you" as Jesse said. Maybe not internet search history but Hank and now Marie's interest in geology will become relevant in them getting stitched up, I reckon.

Edit: As for Jessie underestimating Walt, if you were understandably shit scared of someone murdering you and there was some bald nutter looking guy watching you as you went to meet him, you'd freak out. As Dom said though, think it's probably more to do with having another idea.

Edited by SodjesSixteenIncher

The significance of the other guy in the decision was clearly played up by the writers/director. However, I suppose you could interpret that as Jesse knows he can never trust Walt, even if that guy isn't a henchman. Can't say I've ever tried it, but something tells me a meth comedown would be pretty para too.

I don't see any way that poisoning someone with ricin could be pinned on Marie when Jesse has presumably spoken about it in his video statement, added to the fact that this ties in with Jesse suggesting (at the time) that ricin may have been used when Brock was poisoned.

Edited by The OP

Loved that episode. The intensity was cranked up from the beginning, to the point where it was almost exhausting watching it in anticipation of what was going to happen next. I'm beyond the point of guessing what's going to happen now though, happy to just enjoy what is going to be some more stunning tv.

One wee criticism about the most recent episode is that I found Jesse's realisation about the ricin cigarette and Brock's poisoning a bit unconvincing. I appreciate he had his suspicions about this at the time, but the way that Huell's frisking caused the scales to fall from his eyes seemed uncharcteristically clunky.

Totally agree with that. How he came to the realisation about the ricin so quickly on what could best be described as a 'possibilty' at best - and wouldn't waver from it, annoyed me a bit.

Just caught up and this is the first time I've allowed myself to look at this thread...

Great series!

Like others, felt the 'ricin realisation' was a bit Hollywood for Breaking Bad, which has showed its teeth as a realistic drama about humans and characters...

That episode tonight I thought was fucking excellent. Thought Hank really came into his own.

Are we all still supporting Walter? I mean, he's apparently the 'devil' incarnate, and his actions speak as loud as his words - why do we all still cheer for this anti-hero? I actually don't even know what I want to happen; never really felt like that before. With most big series, I always generally have favourites and hope that the story goes one way or the other, despite, even if like Tony Soprano they are a bit monstrous, I can still cheer for them and hope for the best. With Walter... He's an amazing character and obviously the star of the show - do I want him to 'win' in the end though? I'm not sure.

There's a thing called 'Talking Bad' on Netflix which is basically a cheesy American chatshow discussing the finer points and milking the show's teet for all it's worth, but the presenter made a good point about Walter - he's such an adept liar to nearly everyone, but when it comes to his family he just fumbles and tells the worst stories ever. I guess you can tell what Walt really cares about through his lying... Does he care about Jesse? I'm not sure.

Somewhat on that note, I was always 50/50 on Aaron Paul's perfomance... Sometimes he was great and sometimes he was a big pile of chedder. This season though, and in particular the most recent episodes, he really has excelled himself. Definitely stole the show that most recent episode whilst being far from cliché.

Totally agree with that. How he came to the realisation about the ricin so quickly on what could best be described as a 'possibilty' at best - and wouldn't waver from it, annoyed me a bit.

To be fair, isn't the whole premise of the show a bit of a reach? Walter's jump from family man, chemistry teacher to cooking meth and then to where he's at in the space of a year (and however long) is ridiculous. But some things need to be let go for the purpose of story-telling. The ricin is another of those.

I don't think many people root for Walter anymore, nor are we supposed to. I think we're pretty much at the point where Walt is the bad guy and has to be taken down.

And he very obviously cares about Jesse, and there was another example of it this week. The very idea of Jesse being killed nearly had him strangling folk.