Travelling to a German game

McLee

Anyone used viagogo for tickets? Looking to visit either Berlin or Frankfurt, I guess tickets for hertha are readily available due to stadium size? Is it best to buy online or when you are over there?

As already mentioned, Viagogo should only be used as a last resort for high demand games.

For Hertha, as long as it's not a Bayern or Dortmund game then tickets are easy to get due to the 75.000 capacity.

Frankfurt games are more busy, but outside Bayern, Dortmund & Schalke are also relatively easy to buy.

There is a guide in English on the Frankfurt site, helping you to get round the German ticketing pages.

Another easy to use, legit, ticket site is Eventim.

As GJ said it's pretty easy to get Hertha tickets unless it's vs Bayern (I got tickets a couple of years ago vs Dortmund). You're as well buying tickets online then picking them up at the ground, I think you may able to print them off too. You'll be less than €25 for a good seat.

I can't understand why anyone who wants to go to Germany for a football weekend would go anywhere other than Dusseldorf or the surrounding cities.

The weekend I'm going the teams playing at home are.....

Dortmund

Monchengladbach

Schalke

Leverkusen

Duisburg

Bochum

This. Three of us were looking to go to a couple of midweek European games in England just over a year ago, realised it was going to be difficult to get tickets (Man City v Real Madrid, Liverpool v Young Boys) and started looking abroad.

Ended up going to Dusseldorf and going to Schalke v Olympiacos and Borussia Moenchengladbach v Limassol. Ordered tickets direct from club websites, cost 36 euros each for Champions League game and 28 euros each for Europa League and, as been pointed out, rail travel from Dusseldorf and then tram/bus to ground included in ticket price.

We had a great time. Cost us about £300 each, including return flights from Edinburgh to Weeze, bus from Weeze to Dusseldorf, two nights in a hotel, match tickets and all our food and drink. Doubt we could have done Etihad and Anfield for that, or had as good a time.

I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

• 2 months later...

Heading to Berlin this weekend for the Hertha v Hannover game. Should be a good weekend.

Where's a good place to go for the booze pre bad post match. Staying the Sunday aswell so looking for somewhere to watch the English games in the afternoon.

Cheers in advance for yer help....

Edited by wellboy1991

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So Münster drew Bayern in the 1st round of the DFB Pokal in August. No idea if I'll get tickets but I'm going to try.

Bochum, Duisburg and Viktoria Koln drew Leverkusen, Nurnburg and Hertha respectively so there are other options in the area.

• 2 months later...

I was at Duisburg-Nürnburg and Bochum-Stuttgart over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to get on the terrace for both, with Duisburg at 11 and Bochum at 13, which was fucking great. At Duisburg I was in the same block as the ultras which was quite fun, and at Bochum in the corner with a bunch of scary skinheads, although the atmosphere was probably better there.

As for the games, Duisburg won through an early dodgy penalty, and the rest of the game was pretty shite. Nürnburg were awful and don't like they'll be winning immediate promotion. Bochum were excellent and looked particularly dangerous on the break. Both teams had chances but Bochum defended well and could've scored more.

German football is fucking great.

Edited by afca32

Aachen?

Aachen are away to Oberhausen that weekend. Exact dates have not yet been set for that weekend but the Regionalliga-West fixtures, as taken from the Aachen web-site, are

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) Bor. Mönchengladbach II Sportfreunde Lotte

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) FC Kray SC Wiedenbrück 2000

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) Rot-Weiß Oberhausen Alemannia Aachen

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) VfL Bochum II KFC Uerdingen

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) Sportfreunde Siegen SG Wattenscheid 09

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) SC Verl FC Hennef 05

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) SV Rödinghausen Rot-Weiss Essen

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) FC Viktoria Köln 04 Fortuna Düsseldorf II

Sa. 27.09.2014 (Rahmentermin) FC Schalke 04 II 1. FC Köln II

Edited by German Jag

There's usually 1 or 2 Regionalliga West games on a Friday night and it's easy enough to get to 6 out of the 9 games from Dusseldorf. Siegen, Verl and Rodinghausen are the only 3 that we couldn't get to.

The odds of getting a Friday night game are decent, but I'm sure I could just about cope drinking in the Altstadt instead of going to a game

Just got hamburg- Frankfurt tickets. Never been to hamburg so any recommendations welcome. Get there Friday and game not until Sunday but not aware of any nearby game on the Saturday.

Games on in northern Germany that weekend are:-

Bundesliga

Wolfsburg v. Werder Bremen (Saturday, 6:30 pm)

BL2

Eintracht Braunschweig v. Sandhausen (Friday night)

Union Berlin v. SV Darmstadt (Saturday, 1:00 pm)

3. Liga

Holstein Kiel v. Sonnenhof Großaspach (Saturday, 2:00 pm)

Hansa Rostock v. MSV Duisburg (Saturday, 2:00 pm)

Regionalliga Nord

VfB Lübeck v. Werder Bremen II (Friday night)

Nothing I would classify as local. Closest would be Lübeck on the Friday night.

eta, next level down is the Oberliga Hamburg. Fixtures here.

Edited by German Jag

Bundesliga

BL2

3. Liga

Regionalliga Nord

Thanks for that. I'll probably just spend the Saturday looking about the city.

Bundesliga

BL2

3. Liga

Regionalliga Nord

German Jag you seem to be up to speed on this thread with good advice so wondered if you can help me.

I want to take my 8yr old son to a German match maybe around Nov. this year or maybe March next year. Am i right in saying if I stay in Dusseldorf that I could easily take in a Saturday and Sunday game in a weekend without to much travel?

He really wants to go to Dortmund game maybe Schalke next on his list, whats chances of getting tickets for this, do I build his hopes up? If not what teams are more realistic in that area? What sort of prices are we talking for tickets?