Travelling to a German game

McLee

Excellent, i have tickets for Augsburg's opening day match against Dortmund, so pretty chuffed that it's a saturday afternoon game and not on the Friday night.

Free tickets though work by the way. Got to love the fact that the Augsburg MD used to work for us :thumsup2:guinness

I went to watch Dynamo Dresden v I think Magdebourg (spelling),at the time a German 3rd tier game.

Over 20,000,2 or 3 1 to 'Dee-na-mo',loads of East German drinking going on,before,during and after ko,got bladdered with Dee-na-mo fans.

Great crack!

Was in Munich in April, Bayern game was sold out but got tickets to Augsburg v Frankfurt. Good atmosphere, nice stadium but was a fair walk to nearest tramstop. As with most Bundesliga games we had to load a card to pay for beer at the kiosks. Usually manage over for at least one German game a season.

• 1 month later...

Going back to Dusseldorf at the end of this month.

When the match days were set, it looked like a bit of a disaster. Dortmund, Dusseldorf and Leverkusen are all playing Saturday afternoon. We've decided to go to Dortmund on the Saturday.

Thankfully, Duisburg (now BL3) seem to be playing Friday night (according to kicker.de, officialy website still has it down as being undecided). I've been to Duisburg 4 times now and have a real soft spot for them so I'm chuffed I can go again.

On Sunday, there are multiple options, none of which can be confirmed until the matchdays are set. Regionalliga West or Oberliga are the only alternatives though, so unlikely to be big crowds or much glamour. It will just be like being at Ochilview

I'm having a look at the grounds of some of the teams I can go to see on Sunday. Some of the stadiums looks like a slightly more ramshackle Shawfield. I'll not be picking the game by proximity to Dusseldorf or by quality of team but by how Soviet chic their stadium is. The worse the better.

Edited by Fudge

I'm having a look at the grounds of some of the teams I can go to see on Sunday. Some of the stadiums looks like a slightly more ramshackle Shawfield. I'll not be picking the game by proximity to Dusseldorf or by quality of team but by how Soviet chic their stadium is. The worse the better.

How was Dortmund on the big terrace? Worth the £110?

How was Dortmund on the big terrace? Worth the £110?

To be honest, probably not.

We were in the ground a hour before kick off and even then the terracing was packed. The lower section of the terrace is your traditional crash barriers. The upper section has distinct rows, with pull down metal seats. We were in the upper section and it was really pretty cramped, bordering on uncomfortable. We didn't go for a drink during the match for fear of the person who went for the drinks not being able to find their way back!

It was a great experience, but I actually prefered the terraces at Schalke and Gladbach. We're going back to Dortmund again and have gone for seated tickets this time as they're a bit cheaper (still £80 from seatwave though!)

After some decent quality football at world class stadiums on the Friday and Saturday, on Sunday we're taking in what is essentially and amateur match.

Schwarz Weiss Essen v Ratinger SV in the Oberliga Neiderrhein.

A few years ago I arrived at Dusseldorf Weeze airport and tried to get a bus to Gelsenkirchen for a Schalke match, but narrolwy missed the bus. A man operating an unlicensed taxi in the form of a hire van offered to take us there for 10 Euros a piece, but ended up dropping us off in a desolate car park on the outskirts of Essen. After a long walk in light drizzle, we eventually made it to the city centre. It was like a slightly worse Middlesbrough, but I'm looking forward to going back.

The ground itself is exactly what I was hoping for. Sweeping, crumbling terraces with a saftey certificate lowered capacity due to its ramshackle nature.

essnswg4.jpg

441810617_ff569b66e8_z.jpg

350.jpg

Has anyone taken in a Schalke game? Where's the best place to fly too? Was thinking D'Dorf and getting the train thru?

Either that or flying to Cologne and going to a Bayer Leverkeusen game. Taking my old man for his 60th. He's always wanted to experience a German match.

You can either fly to Dusseldorf Weeze (about an hour outside Dusseldorf) with Ryanair, Dusseldorf International with Lufthansa or Cologne with Germanwings. It really doesn't matter.

Gladbach, Dortmund, Schalke, Leverkusen, Bochum, Duisburg and Cologne are within an hour by train from Dusseldorf (plus Fortuna Dusseldorf obviously play in Dusseldorf itself). Your match ticket doubles as a free rail/bus ticket as well which is handy. There are very, very frequent trains to each of the places so they are no hassle at all to get to.

Schalke usually sell out for every match so you'll probably haver to buy via touting sites seatwave or viagogo, but maybe if you contacted the club directly they could do something for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Travelling to Berlin for the Hertha v Schalke game on the 2nd of November. Finally booked after a long time discussing doing a German game. Plans afoot to go to a game out of Dusseldorf after the new year also.

Very easy stadium to get to via the train system, enjoy!

Travelling to Berlin for the Hertha v Schalke game on the 2nd of November. Finally booked after a long time discussing doing a German game. Plans afoot to go to a game out of Dusseldorf after the new year also.

Train to Olympic Stadium station. You will get searched going into the Olympic Stadium at the outer gates/ turnstiles. You will then be asked for your ticket again when you enter the stadium proper, so make sure you don't throw away your ticket after the outer gates !

Superb stadium but a bit too big for Hertha. Generally they get 40-50,000 but more for bigger games and when they're doing we'll. I was there 4 years ago when they had a spell at the top of the league and got 62,000 versus Leverkusen,. They had a full house last year in Bundesliga 2 against Union Berlin. 78,000 for a 2nd division game. Amazing.