Travelling to a German game

McLee

• 4 weeks later...

What teams are near to Berlin? I've been before and seen Hertha and Union but fancy seeing some different teams and going to a different ground.

For the BL, Wolfsburg is the closest.

BL2, Braunschweig or Leipzig

3. Liga Cottbus, Rostock, Halle or RB Leipzig

4th Division / Regional Liga Nord-Ost, there are numerous Berlin teams eg Hertha & Union's 2nd strings. Berliner FC Dynamo, Berliner AK 07,

FC Viktoria 1889 Berlin, SV Babelsberg 03

1. FC Magdeburg, TSG Neustrelitz outside of Berlin.

Edited by German Jag

For the BL, Wolfsburg is the closest.

BL2, Braunschweig or Leipzig

3. Liga Cottbus, Rostock, Halle or RB Leipzig

4th Division / Regional Liga Nord-Ost, there are numerous Berlin teams eg Hertha & Union's 2nd strings. Berliner FC Dynamo, Berliner AK 07,

FC Viktoria 1889 Berlin, SV Babelsberg 03

1. FC Magdeburg, TSG Neustrelitz outside of Berlin.

Thanks for the info. Will need to do a bit of research to see how easy it is to get tickets.

• 2 months later...

Apologies if already asked, but how easy is it to get to games at Fortuna Dusseldorf, Schalke and Koln? Looking at going the first weekend in March, games are Dusseldorf-Bochum Friday, Schalke-Hoffenheim Saturday and Koln-Frankfurt Sunday.

Dusseldorf I'm guessing we can pay at the gate on the day? Looks like a bit of a derby though?

Schalke I'm hoping to avoid the viagogos of the world but have my doubts

Koln I really have no clue on, anyone been before?

If the option is there to buy online at a reasonable price I'm happy to do that.

Apologies if already asked, but how easy is it to get to games at Fortuna Dusseldorf, Schalke and Koln? Looking at going the first weekend in March, games are Dusseldorf-Bochum Friday, Schalke-Hoffenheim Saturday and Koln-Frankfurt Sunday.

Dusseldorf I'm guessing we can pay at the gate on the day? Looks like a bit of a derby though?

Schalke I'm hoping to avoid the viagogos of the world but have my doubts

Koln I really have no clue on, anyone been before?

If the option is there to buy online at a reasonable price I'm happy to do that.

Try Duisburg if you can, 20 minutes from Dusseldorf and is only 8 euros a ticket. Good value.

Got let down with Koln tickets 3 years ago when they announced at the last minute their would be no public sale. Their loss, I got tickets for Dortmund v Nurnburg which transpired to be the game that they won the bundesliga. Every time I've phoned a German club for tickets, I've been fortunate enough to get someone who speaks perfect English.

Schalke is definitely a tout job, Koln possibly touting site required as well

What about Leverkusen or Gladbach? Looking at their average attendance to capacity as a percentage they look like they may be slightly easier to get tickets for.

Can't be arsed reading the whole thread but I'm going to Schalke vs Paderborn in May. Got a mate over there who's talked me through travel.

Yet to book my flights but we're flying to Dusseldorf on the Friday night, train to Gelsenkirchen on the Saturday morning and spend the night there after the match. Be looking to be back in Edinburgh on Sunday night.

Gelsenkirchen doesn't have an airport so Dusseldorf, Dortmund and Munster were the closest options. Munster I think was the furthest away of the 3 cities and while Dortmund generally sounds more appealing, I believe there's a 3-4 hour transfer in Paris as opposed to a 1 hour stop in Amsterdam on the Dusseldorf flight.

Can't be arsed reading the whole thread but I'm going to Schalke vs Paderborn in May. Got a mate over there who's talked me through travel.

Yet to book my flights but we're flying to Dusseldorf on the Friday night, train to Gelsenkirchen on the Saturday morning and spend the night there after the match. Be looking to be back in Edinburgh on Sunday night.

Gelsenkirchen doesn't have an airport so Dusseldorf, Dortmund and Munster were the closest options. Munster I think was the furthest away of the 3 cities and while Dortmund generally sounds more appealing, I believe there's a 3-4 hour transfer in Paris as opposed to a 1 hour stop in Amsterdam on the Dusseldorf flight.

Another option would be flying from Cologne which has direct flights to Edinburgh with Germanwings. Just under 2hrs by train from Gelsenkirchen to Cologne-Bonn airport.

Another option would be flying from Cologne which has direct flights to Edinburgh with Germanwings. Just under 2hrs by train from Gelsenkirchen to Cologne-Bonn airport.

Shit aye, I was told Cologne too in fact. The hotel in Gelsenkirchen was already pre booked for the Saturday night only so looking to stay in one of the big cities on the Friday night.

Out of those 3, where would you suggest might be better for a decent night out? I'd also need to be in Gelsenkirchen about 11am so need to be able to get there via train early doors.

Shit aye, I was told Cologne too in fact. The hotel in Gelsenkirchen was already pre booked for the Saturday night only so looking to stay in one of the big cities on the Friday night.

Out of those 3, where would you suggest might be better for a decent night out? I'd also need to be in Gelsenkirchen about 11am so need to be able to get there via train early doors.

Düsseldorf & Cologne are head & shoulders above the other towns & cities in the region as regards nighlife. Places like Bochum, Gelsenkirchen, Wuppertal etc. are all/were heavy industry / mining centres of activity.

If flying in to Düsseldorf, would stay there on the Friday. Saturday to Gelsenkirchen (takes 45 minutes on the train, which will be free if you have a match ticket in your hand).

Sunday, take the direct Germanwings flight from Dusseldorf to Glasgow (currently available for €60).

Düsseldorf & Cologne are head & shoulders above the other towns & cities in the region as regards nighlife. Places like Bochum, Gelsenkirchen, Wuppertal etc. are all/were heavy industry / mining centres of activity.

If flying in to Düsseldorf, would stay there on the Friday. Saturday to Gelsenkirchen (takes 45 minutes on the train, which will be free if you have a match ticket in your hand).

Sunday, take the direct Germanwings flight from Dusseldorf to Glasgow (currently available for 60).

The tickets are with my mates supporters club over in Germany but I'm sure he could ship them over for me. Had no idea football fans get free rail travel. :lol:

Sounds fairly straightforward, cheers for the advice mate.