Travelling to a German game

McLee

Got a game this morning but straight after that I am off to Munich for a week with the girlfriend. First time I will be going and not getting an 1860 game but did get in tough with the club and I am going to their training ground on Thursday to get shown round and hopefully meet some players!

totally-fangirling.gif

(I'm also ashamed to admit this as an 1860 fan but I am also going to one of Bayern's public training sessions...)

Im getting a bit of money in soon and was first of all wanting to go to a man utd game - then the mrs suggested a trip to london instead - then my dad suggested that Amsterdam or perhaps a place in Germany would be relatively cheap so i think it could be a toss up between Munich and Amsterdam for a long weekend

Train to Olympic Stadium station. You will get searched going into the Olympic Stadium at the outer gates/ turnstiles. You will then be asked for your ticket again when you enter the stadium proper, so make sure you don't throw away your ticket after the outer gates !

Superb stadium but a bit too big for Hertha. Generally they get 40-50,000 but more for bigger games and when they're doing we'll. I was there 4 years ago when they had a spell at the top of the league and got 62,000 versus Leverkusen,. They had a full house last year in Bundesliga 2 against Union Berlin. 78,000 for a 2nd division game. Amazing.

Thanks for the heads up. Need to pick up our tickets first at the stadium ticket office. Looking at sales online I imagine there will be roughly 60,000 there for the game against Schalke.

After some decent quality football at world class stadiums on the Friday and Saturday, on Sunday we're taking in what is essentially and amateur match.

Schwarz Weiss Essen v Ratinger SV in the Oberliga Neiderrhein.

A few years ago I arrived at Dusseldorf Weeze airport and tried to get a bus to Gelsenkirchen for a Schalke match, but narrolwy missed the bus. A man operating an unlicensed taxi in the form of a hire van offered to take us there for 10 Euros a piece, but ended up dropping us off in a desolate car park on the outskirts of Essen. After a long walk in light drizzle, we eventually made it to the city centre. It was like a slightly worse Middlesbrough, but I'm looking forward to going back.

The ground itself is exactly what I was hoping for. Sweeping, crumbling terraces with a saftey certificate lowered capacity due to its ramshackle nature.

essnswg4.jpg

441810617_ff569b66e8_z.jpg

350.jpg

Good pictures.

There's a small stadium similar to that next to Borussia Dortmund's ground where their B team plays.

800px-Kampfbahn_rote_erde_tribuene.jpg

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Got a game this morning but straight after that I am off to Munich for a week with the girlfriend. First time I will be going and not getting an 1860 game but did get in tough with the club and I am going to their training ground on Thursday to get shown round and hopefully meet some players!

totally-fangirling.gif

(I'm also ashamed to admit this as an 1860 fan but I am also going to one of Bayern's public training sessions...)

How was your trip mate? Was over in Munich in the summer and despite being a fan of the big team in the city ( :P ) I took in an unexpected 1860 game when we were going for a stadium tour. Cracking stadium and a great city, looking to go back over early next year for a bayern game.

How was your trip mate? Was over in Munich in the summer and despite being a fan of the big team in the city ( :P ) I took in an unexpected 1860 game when we were going for a stadium tour. Cracking stadium and a great city, looking to go back over early next year for a bayern game.

Trip was excellent thanks! 1860 training was great, but the Bayern training was cancelled unfortunately but still saw from afar their first team training. Went on the Allianz tour, I had been before and it was quiet but it was totally mobbed, must be the Champions League factor, it has definitely meant a much more 'polished' tour and they have a new Bayern museum inside the stadium which is very impressive.

We did get an additional football bonus, the hotel we stay in every year was being used by the Mainz team before their game with Bayern so they were milling around on one of the evenings and said hello to a few of their team.

Been to Munich on a number of occasions and I totally love it, already planned my next annual April trip to see 1860 and I can't wait!

The only other sad/bizarre thing was as me and my girlfriend were walking around the Bayern training complex I told her about this kinda simple guy we had seen before at the Bayern training, maybe in his 40s, full kit, shinnies and boots. As we got round the corner to one of the fences that keeps the fans back at the ground (this is just on a public path) the same guy is getting changed into his boot, shinnies and full kit. The initial response in my head is, as should be 'full kit w****r!" but then I started to feel bad because this same guy, a guy we have randomly seen over the space of like three or four years, must turn up almost every day, watch the Bayern training behind this fence and then go home, sad life.

Trip was excellent thanks! 1860 training was great, but the Bayern training was cancelled unfortunately but still saw from afar their first team training. Went on the Allianz tour, I had been before and it was quiet but it was totally mobbed, must be the Champions League factor, it has definitely meant a much more 'polished' tour and they have a new Bayern museum inside the stadium which is very impressive.

We did get an additional football bonus, the hotel we stay in every year was being used by the Mainz team before their game with Bayern so they were milling around on one of the evenings and said hello to a few of their team.

Been to Munich on a number of occasions and I totally love it, already planned my next annual April trip to see 1860 and I can't wait!

The only other sad/bizarre thing was as me and my girlfriend were walking around the Bayern training complex I told her about this kinda simple guy we had seen before at the Bayern training, maybe in his 40s, full kit, shinnies and boots. As we got round the corner to one of the fences that keeps the fans back at the ground (this is just on a public path) the same guy is getting changed into his boot, shinnies and full kit. The initial response in my head is, as should be 'full kit w****r!" but then I started to feel bad because this same guy, a guy we have randomly seen over the space of like three or four years, must turn up almost every day, watch the Bayern training behind this fence and then go home, sad life.

Good stuff mate, I was looking forward to the tour when we went but we had no idea that 1860 were playing so it ended up pretty decent in the end. Was a roasting hot day and it was quality sitting with a beer watching a decent game in a cracking stadium, unfortunately my pals were complete washouts so the banter wasn't the best :lol: Obviously as the 1860 game was on all the Bayern stuff at the stadium was closed which I was pretty gutted about but I'll be back over soon enough so I guess it's something to look forward to. I take it you were home before the game on saturday? I managed to catch the second half which was pretty decent coming back from 1-0 down to win 4-1 :thumsup2

Good stuff mate, I was looking forward to the tour when we went but we had no idea that 1860 were playing so it ended up pretty decent in the end. Was a roasting hot day and it was quality sitting with a beer watching a decent game in a cracking stadium, unfortunately my pals were complete washouts so the banter wasn't the best :lol: Obviously as the 1860 game was on all the Bayern stuff at the stadium was closed which I was pretty gutted about but I'll be back over soon enough so I guess it's something to look forward to. I take it you were home before the game on saturday? I managed to catch the second half which was pretty decent coming back from 1-0 down to win 4-1 :thumsup2

Left the day of the game just as the Mainz team were leaving for the Allianz, was hoping to sneak on their bus! The tour is always the opposite for me, its always totally Bayern orientated with no mention of 1860 at all, although this year was different to be fair, the tour guide was a Bayern season ticket holder (£130 a season, bit steep eh?!?!) and he was loving that I was an 1860 fan and because I actually wanted to ask about football and not jus take a million random pictures (I'm looking at you Japanese tourists) so got decent chat from him.

Left the day of the game just as the Mainz team were leaving for the Allianz, was hoping to sneak on their bus! The tour is always the opposite for me, its always totally Bayern orientated with no mention of 1860 at all, although this year was different to be fair, the tour guide was a Bayern season ticket holder (£130 a season, bit steep eh?!?!) and he was loving that I was an 1860 fan and because I actually wanted to ask about football and not jus take a million random pictures (I'm looking at you Japanese tourists) so got decent chat from him.

Whats the deal with you guys, are you still looking for a move away from the allianz?

Went to Bremen v Freiburg on Saturday. Just my luck, only 0-0 of the Bundesliga so far. Brilliant day though- met some Bremen fans in a pub in town late morning and had a great laugh with them. Totally pissed when we jumped on the tram to the stadium.

Went to Hamburg v Stuttgart on Sunday. 3-3 draw, much better game.

Whats the deal with you guys, are you still looking for a move away from the allianz?

Yeah, and there has been big chat about moving to a purpose built stadium of about 35,000 - 40,000 I think near the older stadium in the Geising district of Munich or in Reim which is about twenty minutes east of Munich centre, but there are still lease terms to work through at the Allianz. 1860 had to give up all shares in the Allianz so own no part of it now, and have to give a ridiculous percentage of all ticket and food sales back to Bayern for every home game. We nearly went bankrupt a couple of seasons ago but seem a bit safer now, the squad is capable of getting to the Bundesliga but there has been a succession of very mediocre managers in the last five or six years.

Yeah, and there has been big chat about moving to a purpose built stadium of about 35,000 - 40,000 I think near the older stadium in the Geising district of Munich or in Reim which is about twenty minutes east of Munich centre, but there are still lease terms to work through at the Allianz. 1860 had to give up all shares in the Allianz so own no part of it now, and have to give a ridiculous percentage of all ticket and food sales back to Bayern for every home game. We nearly went bankrupt a couple of seasons ago but seem a bit safer now, the squad is capable of getting to the Bundesliga but there has been a succession of very mediocre managers in the last five or six years.

I watched the game against Köln last night, and I felt that 1860 were poor, and were very lucky to take a point. Was that just a poor night?

I've considered going through to an 1860 game, but I would imagine that a quarter-full Allianz Arena might be a pretty poor place to be for a match.

I watched the game against Köln last night, and I felt that 1860 were poor, and were very lucky to take a point. Was that just a poor night?

I've considered going through to an 1860 game, but I would imagine that a quarter-full Allianz Arena might be a pretty poor place to be for a match.

Could have been a poor night, but a 0-0 away against a team at the top of the table is a decent result, the Bundesliga 2 has about six or seven teams that will all be vying for promotion and 1860 should be part of that group.

The Allianz is designed in such a way that the atmosphere even with 15-20,000 is still fantastic (they lay on the facts about the angle of the stands etc during the tour), and I have been going for so long to the graveyards that are Station Park and Tannadice so to be stuck in the middle of the few thousand 1860 fans singing and jumping about non-stop for 90 mins (plus before and after) is a fantastic feeling.

Train to Olympic Stadium station. You will get searched going into the Olympic Stadium at the outer gates/ turnstiles. You will then be asked for your ticket again when you enter the stadium proper, so make sure you don't throw away your ticket after the outer gates !

Superb stadium but a bit too big for Hertha. Generally they get 40-50,000 but more for bigger games and when they're doing we'll. I was there 4 years ago when they had a spell at the top of the league and got 62,000 versus Leverkusen,. They had a full house last year in Bundesliga 2 against Union Berlin. 78,000 for a 2nd division game. Amazing.

I was at that Berlin derby. Cracking atmosphere.

I was at that Berlin derby. Cracking atmosphere.

Yup. By the time I got to my seat Union were 1-0 up. Great comeback though. Ronny's free-kick superb.

I'm looking to go to Hamburg in February for St Pauli vs Bochum game (I wanted to go to Berlin but was outvoted). Anyone know how easy it is to get tickets?

Yup. By the time I got to my seat Union were 1-0 up. Great comeback though. Ronny's free-kick superb.

I'm looking to go to Hamburg in February for St Pauli vs Bochum game (I wanted to go to Berlin but was outvoted). Anyone know how easy it is to get tickets?

Against Bochum should be no problem for getting tickets, but best to do online or by phone as soon as they go on open sale.

Day of the game won't be announced for a couple of weeks.

BL2 games (thanks to Sky) have fairly crap KO times.

6:30pm on Friday, 1:00pm on Saturday, 1:30pm on Sunday plus Monday at 8:15pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a ticket for Hertha Berlin v Bremen on December 13th as I'm travelling into Berlin that weekend.

tumblr_mw2rxx6hWx1t13mfqo1_500.gif

Would there be any smaller teams in the region playing over the same weekend? Union are away to Bochum and I'm not sure whether the lower leagues shut down early for winter

Got a ticket for Hertha Berlin v Bremen on December 13th as I'm travelling into Berlin that weekend.

tumblr_mw2rxx6hWx1t13mfqo1_500.gif

Would there be any smaller teams in the region playing over the same weekend? Union are away to Bochum and I'm not sure whether the lower leagues shut down early for winter

In BL2 you've got:-

Energie Cottbus against Fortuna Düsseldorf, Cottbus is about 1h20 - 1h30 on the train from Berlin Hbf.

In BL3 you've got:-

Hallescher FC against Rot-Weiß Erfurt, Halle is about 1h20 - 1h50 on the train from Berlin Hbf.

Two others in the BL3 (although 2½ - 2¾ hours on the train) would be Chemnitz against Unterhaching or Rostock against Elversberg,

My suggestion would be Chemnitz, direct train plus print@home tickets easy to buy on their web-site for €14.

Edit to add:-

Wolfsburg play Stuttgart and Hannover 96 play Nürnberg. Travelling by ICE then Wolfsburg is 1h10 away and Hannover 1h40 away. If considering either of these then make sure to get an advance saver ticket since the on the day walk up price is eye-watering.

Edited by German Jag