Travelling to a German game

McLee

I've been to Germany for games three times this season and every time I've stayed in Dusseldorf.

There are so many teams nearby (Fortuna Dusseldorf, Koln, Gladbach, Leverkusen, Dortmund, Schalke, Bochum etc) and you should be able to get tickets for any of them. Even if it's a 2nd Division game, the atmosphere in the standing section will be great whoever you go and see.

Dusseldorf is a fantastic city too and the Altstadt is a great place for a night out (Bolker Strasse/Kurze Strasse).

Most trips I've done (3 or 4 nights) are under £130 for flights and hotel from Edinburgh to Weeze.

Berlin's a great city too - so much to see and do and it's a brilliant place for a night out.

End of last season, I went to Hertha v Augsburg for the last game of the season. Could have been a (2nd division) title decider so was sold out weeks in advance. Was easy enough to buy tickets online (either using Google translate or someone who speaks German!). That was 77,000 folk but for most games this season there have been at least 15,000 tickets available.

Whether it'll be Bundesliga or Bundesliga 2 next season will depend on the next couple of weeks.

Saw Berlin when they were in the Bundesliga 2. Was a good trip. Arrive early though as the turnstiles are a nightmare! Great stadium and the Ultras behind the goal are crazy.

I went to see Union Berlin vs Erzgebirge Aue on a Friday night in October 2010. I think it was a 6pm kick off and we underestimated the train journey and got there just before 6. We assumed we would have no trouble getting in and the crowd wouldn't be too big. Wrong. There was loads of people just gathered outside a set of turnstiles, waiting to get in, no real order or queue had formed, so we decided to walk round to the other end of the stadium. On our way, we heard a huge roar from inside. Managed to miss both goals. Eventually got in around 30 mins into the match, tickets were €8 on the gate, and we ended up behind the goal in the middle of the Ultras section. Some scary characters in there. Terrifying albeit brilliant atmosphere at the same time. Stadium was packed, around 17,000 inside, just over 1k short of capacity, with the away end being relatively empty.

Went to Berlin with mates in February.

Friday night we went to the ice hockey which was surprisingly good. Berlin play at the O2 Arena which is a fantastic venue.

Saturday, went to see Hertha at the Olympic Stadium. It was about -9 during the day when we were there so ended up drinking mulled wine at the game to try and stay warm.

Bought tickets for both in advance by simply phoning the ticket hotlines. I checked online to see where I wanted to buy seats for.

I only speak a wee bit of German but the club staff spoke perfect English. Collected tickets for both games at the ticket office before the start.

Berlin is a great city at night as well.

Still have no idea how we managed to navigate the journey back to the hotel via the U bahn system at 4am when we were so pished we could barely stand up.

Good times.

Edited by fueradejuego

Myself and a few mates are looking to travel to Germany to watch a game in October and stay for the weekend. Would like a decent standard of football and a decent place for a booze up aswell. Any recommendations?

Flights to Munich and Berlin seem reasonably cheap as well as accommodation in either city.

I'll get these two jokes out of the way for you. "Oh a h*n wanting to travel to his homeland" and of course "because your team wont be in Europe/will be extinct next year".

I see you are from Port Glasgow, Paisley's twin town team of Furth just got promoted so if you can find a space among all the seepers from Renfrew Council who will be going over for their big games you could try them.

Was at Hertha's game at the weekend against Hoffenheim. Hertha needed to win and hope Koln lost to stay up so the stadium was reasonably busy (53,000 if i remember). The atmosphere was amongst the best I've ever been to with the ultras going crazy for the whole game - could show a thing or two to Scottish fans!

Took us about two hours in all to get from the centre out to the stadium via a whole load of changes on the U bahn and in the queues (as somebody mentioned earlier) are huge and they pat down everybody!

Good night out too, although again big queues for the watergate (apparently really well known!?) club!

Most grounds you go to are fantastic.

I've been to Werder Bremen and Hamburg SV. A bit cold. But awesome stadiums.

I'm eyeing up Stuttgart next season. Possibly a wee 2.Bundesliga game as well at Kaiserslautern if it works okay schedule-wise.

Took us about 45minutes from Brandenburg Gate to the ground via the U Bahn.

The searches at the turnstiles are a nuisance especially if you have various cans of lager hidden as my mate did. He even had a can under his Russian style fur hat.

I thought you could buy beer within the stadium...

I've been to Germany for games three times this season and every time I've stayed in Dusseldorf.

There are so many teams nearby (Fortuna Dusseldorf, Koln, Gladbach, Leverkusen, Dortmund, Schalke, Bochum etc) and you should be able to get tickets for any of them. Even if it's a 2nd Division game, the atmosphere in the standing section will be great whoever you go and see.

Dusseldorf is a fantastic city too and the Altstadt is a great place for a night out (Bolker Strasse/Kurze Strasse).

Seconded. Was in Cologne for a weekend in March, went to Fortuna Dusseldorf on the Saturday and it was excellent.

You can, but when i last went to a German football game it was €4.50 a pint sad.gif

Fairly reasonable, don't know how much you were expecting it to be.

Sorry if you have already made a decision, I haven't read through the posts, but I thought I'd give my tuppence worth. I was at a conference two years ago in Berlin and stayed the weekend after to go to a Hertha game. Easy enough to get tickets, easy to get to and from the ground on the train and a fantastic stadium with fantastic atmosphere (when the team are doing 'well' anyway, they were top of Bundesliga 2 when I saw them). Only thing I can recommend is that you try and collect tickets in advance or have them sent to you. I turned up to collect my ticket with half an hour to spare and still missed KO. If you go to Hertha then try to get a ticket for the Ostkurve, I went on my own so I settled for a good view in the gods, which I sort of regret. Berlin is a fantastic city, I really wish I could afford to go there again.

• 2 months later...

The consensus appears to be the Hamburg - Bayern Munich game on the weekend of 2-4 November. Now, to obtain a ticket we require to take a travel package from them which consists of guaranteed match ticket in second best zone, one night in a hotel (checked it's about 135 euros per night in one of their linked hotels), guided tour of the stadium, free entry into museum and 17 euros to spend in the club shop for 189 euros. We're planning on staying another two nights and that would cost 50 euros extra per night with them. 289 euros before we book a flight which is looking like £160ish from Newcastle. Checked a few hostels and cheaper hotels, can get private rooms for a group for less than 20 euros a night so we'll probably do that.

Anyone have any experience of getting a ticket over there? I understand the profile of the opposition is making this more difficult for us to do this on the cheap.

Edited by McLee

Highly recommend Union Berlin.

20 of us turned up to a game of theirs last season with kilts and Aberdeen tops on and were made to feel very welcome.

Absolutley superb atmosphere as well 8)

The consensus appears to be the Hamburg - Bayern Munich game on the weekend of 2-4 November. Now, to obtain a ticket we require to take a travel package from them which consists of guaranteed match ticket in second best zone, one night in a hotel (checked it's about 135 euros per night in one of their linked hotels), guided tour of the stadium, free entry into museum and 17 euros to spend in the club shop for 189 euros. We're planning on staying another two nights and that would cost 50 euros extra per night with them. 289 euros before we book a flight which is looking like £160ish from Newcastle. Checked a few hostels and cheaper hotels, can get private rooms for a group for less than 20 euros a night so we'll probably do that.

Anyone have any experience of getting a ticket over there? I understand the profile of the opposition is making this more difficult for us to do this on the cheap.

Is that in Hamburg or Munich? If Munich, you can go to the website called viagogo. It deals with Bayern season ticket holders who sell on their tickets for individual games. This is what we're hoping to use when we go next April. However it is no guarantee. A great site to go on to see where all European teams play is footiemap.com. Sign up for it and it also gives access to 2nd div teams as well. You also have Nurnburg, Augsburg & Furth within a couple of hours by train from Munich.