Travelling to a German game

McLee

Myself and a few mates are looking to travel to Germany to watch a game in October and stay for the weekend. Would like a decent standard of football and a decent place for a booze up aswell. Any recommendations?

Flights to Munich and Berlin seem reasonably cheap as well as accommodation in either city.

I'll get these two jokes out of the way for you. "Oh a h*n wanting to travel to his homeland" and of course "because your team wont be in Europe/will be extinct next year".

Not entirely up to date on German relegation, but Koln were a Bundesliga side this season. Leverkusen is something like 15 minutes away from the centre of Koln by local train also. You can easily stay in Koln (which has regular, cheapish trains from Amsterdam) and if you're lucky, attend two games in a single weekend. Can't see tickets being a problem for either side unless it's a massive game. or possibly their derby. Koln's a big city and a university city so you wouldn't struggle for drink, especially around the university area.

I've never been to a game in Germany, but a mate of mine has said good things about Eintracht Frankfurt. I've seen the videos and the atmosphere looks unreal, plus they apparently have some weird connection with Scotland so you'll be quite well received. In the videos you see a few saltires amongst their fans.

Berlin would be a good shout. Two teams there and easy to get tickets for them.

Tell me more....

Tickets we're unsure of. Some teams in Europe allow you to buy or reserve tickets and pick them up there, others you need to be in the country.

Saw Berlin when they were in the Bundesliga 2. Was a good trip. Arrive early though as the turnstiles are a nightmare! Great stadium and the Ultras behind the goal are crazy.

Berlin would be a good shout. Two teams there and easy to get tickets for them.

Aren't the two Berlin teams utterly shite though? I mean, if you wanted shite football but a city piss-up in Europe, you'd be just as well going to Prague.

Presumably the point of going to a German match is to see something at least half-decent.

Tell me more....

Tickets we're unsure of. Some teams in Europe allow you to buy or reserve tickets and pick them up there, others you need to be in the country.

No idea on other, but I got a printable e-ticket when I went to Leverkusen.

You said October. Do Munich and squeeze in an Oktoberfest trip while you're at it. Be very early in the month and you'll catch the beer festival. And the legendary erotik messe (google it).

Not entirely up to date on German relegation, but Koln were a Bundesliga side this season. Leverkusen is something like 15 minutes away from the centre of Koln by local train also. You can easily stay in Koln (which has regular, cheapish trains from Amsterdam) and if you're lucky, attend two games in a single weekend. Can't see tickets being a problem for either side unless it's a massive game. or possibly their derby. Koln's a big city and a university city so you wouldn't struggle for drink, especially around the university area.

Koln got relegated this season.

Tell me more....

You can buy tickets in the official Hertha shops, and they are usually easy to get a hold of anyway as they have an 80,000 seater stadium that unless bayern play rarely will sell out.

Union Berlin I'm not as sure about, but they are established 2.BL, so I doubt sell out.

You can generally phone or email the ticket offices and request tickets if your visiting and they'll tell you exactly. They all speak English too.

Koln got relegated this season. Fortuna Dusseldorf is pretty close to there though and they are in a play-off with Hertha Berlin to come up.

This is something I think me and my mates are looking to do in late August/early September. The Dusseldorf area seems to be the best option in terms of football teams on offer but Munich or Berlin would give a better city and would likely be my choice.

Aren't the two Berlin teams utterly shite though? I mean, if you wanted shite football but a city piss-up in Europe, you'd be just as well going to Prague.

Presumably the point of going to a German match is to see something at least half-decent.

Fair point about the standard. A few of the boys have been to Barcelona for a game and piss up the last couple of years but fancied a change and Germany was suggested. A good team with a decent stadium will be a main reason for going but obviously a decent city with plenty boozers required too.

Tell me more....

Considering Hertha play in the Olympiastadion and it's never usually more than half-full for regular league games, I'd imagine tickets will be fairly easy to come by for them. No idea about Union Berlin in Bundesliga 2.

You said October. Do Munich and squeeze in an Oktoberfest trip while you're at it. Be very early in the month and you'll catch the beer festival. And the legendary erotik messe (google it).

See that's been mentioned about Oktoberfest, I was definitely up for that. The beer festival is at the start of the month? May aswell do as much as possible. Erotik Messe - a sex fair. I like sex and I like going to the fair, I think I'll like this.

Obviously waiting for fixtures to come out before booking anything to make sure we catch a game.

See that's been mentioned about Oktoberfest, I was definitely up for that. The beer festival is at the start of the month? May aswell do as much as possible. Erotik Messe - a sex fair. I like sex and I like going to the fair, I think I'll like this.

Obviously waiting for fixtures to come out before booking anything to make sure we catch a game.

Beer fest starts in September and runs to early October. If there's no bayern game there will probably be an 1860 Munchen game so you should get one either way

Beer fest starts in September and runs to early October. If there's no bayern game there will probably be an 1860 Munchen game so you should get one either way

Usually really difficult to get tickets when the festival is on.