Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Never hated a Pars manager more than Hay. Clueless and didn't look one bit arsed about us sitting bottom (thanks for keeping us up again, Leish). Kenny was also on the same lines, but he couldn't handle the dressing room, not one player looked as if they gave a damn, whilst picking up probably the healthiest wages in the league. Jefferies has a bit to go before becoming a club legend, although you really couldn't have asked for anyone better at this bleak time. Fantastic man.

Edited by DAFC.

I hated Jocky Scott far more tbh.

I'm not old enough to remember those times, fortunately. Started going to the games in 98, if I remember rightly. Davie Hay takes the biscuit.

I'm not old enough to remember those times, fortunately. Started going to the games in 98, if I remember rightly. Davie Hay takes the biscuit.

Lucky you, I can still remember 6 at the back v Cowdenbeath.

I think JJ has handled our situation very very well, and his baring a disaster be will be remembered in a rather good lighting you want to say that makes him a legend or not is up to the individual but for me not yet. But then I don't think you can be a legend until you leave the club at least.

Is it not a tad sad that of all the positive things going on with the club at the moment, we're discussing the correct terminology to discuss JJ's tenure? He's worked incredibly hard to keep everyone together for at times no money at all. The players are all hungry and motivated. There is positivity from supporters that I have rarely witnessed while supporting the Pars. There aren't many managers who would have stuck around when we went into admin.

The results for the past several months have been almost irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Would anyone have given two shits about staying up if we'd went bust? Of course not. I'd love to do well this season and think we have a good chance but I'm not terribly fussed how we do as long as everyone is trying their hardest and the club gets back on the right path.

We were doing pretty well at the start of January up until our financial collapse, which as a result affected our performances on the field and the points deduction didn't help, although the deduction still gave us a chance to stay up..

Considering we had managed to get ourselves into the position where we were ahead of Cowdenbeath going into the last day and had the worst team in the league at home, we should not have found ourselves ending up in the play offs.

I reckon we should be aiming to reach the promotion play offs this season, anything less would be a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, yes we are all grateful that we still have a club, yet at the same time, we shouldn't be lowering expectations to just being happy that we're avoiding another relegation, as the players should be capable of reaching the play offs.

Compare the behaviour of Jefferies to Ally McCoist who have had to work in similar circumstances. Jefferies has also been through similar at Hearts which would have helped him deal with things better.

Do you honestly think there is anyone who could have handled it better ?

Using some of our previous managers as examples:

Calderwood: As soon as the money ran out he bolted to Aberdeen

Hay: Whined about only being allowed to offer players £500 per week in his book while at EEP

Kenny: He was just generally a clueless and spineless buffoon.

I'm not debating that Jeffries has handled it well; he absolutely has. We'll never know if anyone could have handled it better. Think you're being very harsh on Calderwood; is it now wrong to try to further your career? That Jackie McNamara, he ran away for more money the cad! Different issue mind.

I think some folk aren't quite grasping that I'm firmly behind Jeffries and think he has done a good job and has (for the most part) handled himself very well. I thought that some people would take this view, which is sad. All I was saying is that many people were talking of him as a legend, and I've seen people list him above actual legends, and I simply don't think he merits it.

I completely agree with your viewpoint on Jefferies being a legend or not if you look back. I don't think I'm being harsh on Calderwood at all, it's been proven that he's shite without a massive budget and signing a massive squad of players then paying several of them off was a major part of our financial problems that came to a head this year (although the board are mostly to blame for that but Calderwood's penchant for a huge squad was a symptom).

I completely agree with your viewpoint on Jefferies being a legend or not if you look back. I don't think I'm being harsh on Calderwood at all, it's been proven that he's shite without a massive budget and signing a massive squad of players then paying several of them off was a major part of our financial problems that came to a head this year (although the board are mostly to blame for that but Calderwood's penchant for a huge squad was a symptom).

Has it?

The board are 100% to blame for the problems his signings caused. They could have at any point just said 'no'. If he asks for a budget and is given one, then why wouldn't he spend it? They could have given him a massively reduced budget, but didn't.

Has it?

The board are 100% to blame for the problems his signings caused. They could have at any point just said 'no'. If he asks for a budget and is given one, then why wouldn't he spend it? They could have given him a massively reduced budget, but didn't.

Yep, he refused to sign a new contract with Kilmarnock because he didn't like the budget they offered saying something like it would be impossible to work with that budget, and then Mixu Paatelainen went in and did better than Calderwood with the same budget Calderwood was offered.

EDIT to add: Yes, the board could have said no but did we really need to sign players like Junior Mendes and Scott Walker and then pay them to go away ?

Edited by GordieBoy80

Jefferies is a potential legend in my eyes, hasn't done anything to warrant being given the status yet but was the best person we could have had in charge throughout this whole saga.

We should name something after him. Perhaps the car park. He did break Jim Leishman's leg after all, so we can't be too generous. :P

Jefferies is doing an excellent job for Dunfermline and deserves a lot of praise. The fact that he was willing to work without a wage and did his best to almost save the Pars from relegation despite the points deduction and the constraints on the squad he had at his disposal says it all really.The guys experience shone through in the cup game against Cowden when he put a rocket under the players at half-time and transformed their approach to the game. The fact they responded so well to what he told them shows the respect they have for him. He has a bit to do before being called a legend though. Always rated the grumpy but strangely likeable person. Could have made a good Scotland boss a while back.

Feck the Pars though ;)

However, it's also worth pointing out our last 3 competitive results.

He was talking about Calderwood.

And he was correct. Some of the displays and results in away games under Calderwood were fucking disgusting. I never got why, as some teams we reamed at home we were annihilated against away, putting in the most limp, insipid cowardly performances. Even more mystifying is that when he got it right, we were brilliant away. That was rare though.

Edited by DA Baracus