Walking Down The Halbeath Road

A couple of folk mentioned the 2015/16 season earlier so I thought I’d have a wee look and compare the squads, leagues and results. 

Tuesday was league game number 27. Our 27th league game of 2015/16 was a 5-0 win against Stenhousemuir on 5th March 2016. We had an 8 point lead going into the game, but Peterhead’s 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers stretched our lead to 10 points. The win over Stenny put our points total to 62, which is exactly what we have now. Our goal difference that day was up to +52, a fair hike compared to our current difference of +30. Despite that gap, we’d actually conceded more (19) by that point than we have this season (16).  We’d also kept far fewer clean sheets back then (11) whereas we’ve kept an impressive 16 clean sheets so far this season. 

The 2015/16 team was known for its goalscoring prowess, by match day 27 we had scored 71 goals. We’ve so far managed <65% of that tally, with 46. 

Hardly breaking news, but we’re obviously less prolific yet far more astute defensively than we were 7 years ago. This team is certainly more aggressive with a real hard-to-break-down style of play, whereas the 2015/16 squad was more free-flowing. 

Who would come out on top in a head-to-head in their prime? I’m saying the current squad as McPake is willing snd able to change the game in a way Johnston never was. There’s definitely a few intriguing match-ups though; Cardle vs Comrie/MacDonald; Paton vs Edwards; Faiss and Moffat vs Bene and Breen; Geggan and Falky vs Chalmers, Todd/Hamilton. 

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
42 minutes ago, smpar said:

A couple of folk mentioned the 2015/16 season earlier so I thought I’d have a wee look and compare the squads, leagues and results. 

Tuesday was league game number 27. Our 27th league game of 2015/16 was a 5-0 win against Stenhousemuir on 5th March 2016. We had an 8 point lead going into the game, but Peterhead’s 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers stretched our lead to 10 points. The win over Stenny put our points total to 62, which is exactly what we have now. Our goal difference that day was up to +52, a fair hike compared to our current difference of +30. Despite that gap, we’d actually conceded more (19) by that point than we have this season (16).  We’d also kept far fewer clean sheets back then (11) whereas we’ve kept an impressive 16 clean sheets so far this season. 

The 2015/16 team was known for its goalscoring prowess, by match day 27 we had scored 71 goals. We’ve so far managed <65% of that tally, with 46. 

Hardly breaking news, but we’re obviously less prolific yet far more astute defensively than we were 7 years ago. This team is certainly more aggressive with a real hard-to-break-down style of play, whereas the 2015/16 squad was more free-flowing. 

Who would come out on top in a head-to-head in their prime? I’m saying the current squad as McPake is willing snd able to change the game in a way Johnston never was. There’s definitely a few intriguing match-ups though; Cardle vs Comrie/MacDonald; Paton vs Edwards; Faiss and Moffat vs Bene and Breen; Geggan and Falky vs Chalmers, Todd/Hamilton. 

Good Post. 

Who from that team gets in this team? 
For me an amalgam of the two first teams....

Mehmet

Comrie
Bene
Breen
Edwards

Cardle
Todd
Hamilton 
Falky

Fais
Moffat

Take this teams defensive side and that teams attacking prowess, roughly. 

Combined 11 from those 2 squads? 

I might go with the below, tbh theres a few I would change my mind on if you asked me another day edwards for one instead of talbot

Mehmet

Comrie fordyce bene talbot

Hosler geggan todd cardle

FEB moffat

Edit - @Stoo61 posted at the same time

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

8 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Combined 11 from those 2 squads? 

I might go with the below, tbh theres a few I would change my mind on if you asked me another day edwards for one instead of talbot

Mehmet

Comrie fordyce bene talbot

Hosler geggan todd cardle

FEB moffat

Edit - @Stoo61 posted at the same time

No Edwards...

bold GIF

Talbot over Edwards is criminal. Pretty equal defensively but Edwards is head and shoulders above Talbot in an attacking sense. 

42 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

Who from that team gets in this team? 
For me an amalgam of the two first teams....

Mehmet

Comrie
Bene
Breen
Edwards

Cardle
Todd
Hamilton 
Falky

Fais
Moffat

Take this teams defensive side and that teams attacking prowess, roughly. 

Pretty close to what I would pick.

I would have Mick Paton in there ahead of Falkingham. I didn't think Falkingham was much of a standout that season. Paton got about 17 assists that year.

I also remember Murdoch being very good that season and I'm 50/50 with him and Deniz.

If McAusland stayed a bit longer I would've had him ahead of Breen. Breen is a great goal threat but has my heart in my mouth too often at the back.

Murdoch

Geggan McAusland Bene Edwards

Hamilton Falkingham

Todd

Faiss Wighton Cardle 

Very attacking and a shame for Comrie, Breen and Mehmet who would be the first 3 subs. Paton and Moffat completing the squad.

DenIz
                       Breen Bene
Comrie                BRE                  Edwards

Geggan      Todd

Moff.       Faiss      Cardle

Combined 11 for me would be:

Murdoch

Comrie  Bene  Breen  Edwards

Geggan  Hamilton

KRH  Todd  Cardle

El Bak

couple of slightly more controversial selections in there. I think Murdoch was the better keeper. Mehmet has been very good, but I think defenders are largely to thank for the better goals against/clean sheet stats.

I honestly don’t think anyone from the 15/16 defence was better than what we have now.

went 4-2-3-1 because I wanted to make the most of Hamilton/Geggan as a partnership, who I think would be excellent. They’d make the defenders’ jobs very easy and be really annoying for any opposition midfield. But I couldn’t leave out Todd, who I think is best in a more attacking role.

Couldn’t really choose between KRH and Mochrie. Feel like both have had good spells, but neither been real stars. But the creativity/excitement. Recency bias probably the reason that KRH edges it. He’s been excellent down that right hand side lately. I feel like him down one side and 15/16 Cardle on the other would be really exciting to watch.

No debate about striker, given the 2 seasons we’re talking about.

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Couldn’t really choose between KRH and Mochrie

I'd probably have Paton over either.

KRH has been better that Mochrie in the last few weeks but feel Paton was very important in the amount of goals El Bak got

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'd probably have Paton over either.

KRH has been better that Mochrie in the last few weeks but feel Paton was very important in the amount of goals El Bak got

Can’t disagree with that. Paton was excellent that season. Seemed to be unlucky with injury the rest of his time at the club. Seemed to be a common theme at that time - a lot of injuries.

9 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Pretty close to what I would pick.

I would have Mick Paton in there ahead of Falkingham.

Mate, Falkingham's fist pump game was so strong.

Like....I see a lot of good passion in this current team but The Falky Fist Pump? Get it in there. Revel in it. Drink it in.