Walking Down The Halbeath Road

15 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Goodwin Coyle Lennon Lambert Ross will surely be ahead of him in the running

Yeah I think there’ll be better suited people but sounds like he is one Motherwell have discussed. Hope he stays, think we’re building something good. They’d also have to pay a fee for him.

With Falkirk through to the next round that means they'll now be playing on the 11th of March, with Montrose to be re-arranged. I wonder if it's in our thoughts to re-arrange our game for amongst that cup tie? Have it the Tuesday before in the thinking that some players will have one eye on a potential Hampden game? Have it the Tuesday after in the hope they've had a grueling game? 

Not sure how rearranging games work. Is it entirely up to us, with SPFL approval or do both teams have to agree? I think we’d have been holding off to see if they went through. The game will likely be early March but I suppose what week was dependent on their cup status and if the BBC fancy sticking them on the box again. Could see Falkirk Vs Ayr being decent for the Friday night slot so they’ll not want to play Tuesday/Friday that week. 

Don’t think McPake would leave right now. It’s a job that’s not even half done. He’ll know himself that he hasn’t actually achieved anything here yet. If he left us now and then was a flop at Motherwell, he’d probably struggle to get another job at a full time club for a while. 

Having said that, money talks. As does the chance to manager at a higher level. He also seems to be the kind of man that would back himself to succeed wherever he goes.

His reaction at full time on Saturday and his passion in the dugout/on the touch line suggests his heart is fully committed to his role here. He’s given new contracts to players and has spoken about trying to recruit for next season already. That doesn’t sound like someone who’s going to jump ship at the first opportunity. However, I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

Goodwin Coyle Lennon Lambert Ross will surely be ahead of him in the running

Lambert's already ruled himself out (apparently), Lennon's not taking a new job until at after April for tax reasons while Goodwin and Ross have presumably just received fairly healthy pay-offs.

However, Motherwell have paid to bring in a manager currently being employed by another team exactly once in the last 30 years (Harri Kampman).

I'd be surprised if that changed for James McPake tbh.

18 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Not sure how rearranging games work. Is it entirely up to us, with SPFL approval or do both teams have to agree? I think we’d have been holding off to see if they went through. The game will likely be early March but I suppose what week was dependent on their cup status and if the BBC fancy sticking them on the box again. Could see Falkirk Vs Ayr being decent for the Friday night slot so they’ll not want to play Tuesday/Friday that week. 

@Skyline Drifter How does it normally work in regards to re-arranged games? If the clubs can't come to an agreement when will the league body step in? 

27 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Think all 4 QF are on TV. 2 on Viaplay and 2 on BBC.

38 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

@Skyline Drifter How does it normally work in regards to re-arranged games? If the clubs can't come to an agreement when will the league body step in? 

The League will initially ask the two clubs to agree a rearrange date between them though generally the onus is on the home club to make a proposal to the away one. The League generally don't like them to carry forward too far if it can be avoided in case a harsh February or cup progress leads to a fixture pile up but that's been less of a factor in the last few years with the growth in 3G pitches and no Scottish Cup replays now. If the clubs had mutually asked to wait until they saw if Falkirk had a game this weekend in the cup that would likely have been fine. Given that we've known for 3 weeks now they didn't have a free week and Dunfermline played Airdrie anyway, and there are no more free weekends, I'm surprised the League haven't insisted on something being sorted out before now, particularly with Falkirk now having a Montrose game to move and also the need to move the one on March 25th to the Friday to avoid a Scotland game which means they won't want to play the midweek before it either.

If we genuinely reach a point where the two clubs cannot agree a date the League will step in and dictate one, which would almost certainly be the next available midweek, or alternately whatever the Home Club are proposing if that's different for a good reason. They won't let it slide into April without a very good reason.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The League will initially ask the two clubs to agree a rearrange date between them though generally the onus is on the home club to make a proposal to the away one. The League generally don't like them to carry forward too far if it can be avoided in case a harsh February or cup progress leads to a fixture pile up but that's been less of a factor in the last few years with the growth in 3G pitches and no Scottish Cup replays now. If the clubs had mutually asked to wait until they saw if Falkirk had a game this weekend in the cup that would likely have been fine. Given that we've known for 3 weeks now they didn't and there are no more free weekends, I'm surprised the League haven't insisted on something being sorted out before now, particularly with Falkirk now having a Montrose game to move and also the need to move the one on March 25th to the Friday to avoid a Scotland game which means they won't want to play the midweek before it either.

If we genuinely reach a point where the two clubs cannot agree a date the League will step in and dictate one, which would almost certainly be the next available midweek, or alternately whatever the Home Club are proposing if that's different for a good reason. They won't let it slide into April without a very good reason.

Thank you 👍 

Can't see a relegation-threatened Motherwell spending even more money to buy out a contract on someone with no experience of keeping a team in the Premiership. McPake gets some amount of stick from fans in the Premiership and Dundee. It was his first season in the Premiership that year, and they weren't even cut adrift. Hopefully we have a good few years of him yet when he will inevitably take us back to top 6 and Europe*

*Definitely top 6 anyway

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

BBC reporting both John Hughes and James McPake being considered. Definitely sounds like a case of people just shouting random names. If they’re even considering giving it to Hughes, they should just forfeit the rest of the season.

John Hughes 😅

14 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Not crossed anyone's mind that he's maybe applied for it?

He's going nowhere unless firstly,  he' successful in his application and secondly , Motherwell pay up a compo package. You've got guys like Tam Courts, David Martindale, Jack Ross, Jim Goodwin, Ian McCall etc that have had more success in the game than McPake that will costs as much or less to employ.

Really don't think McPake's stock is that high. Getting Pars to the top of league one is hardly earth shattering.