Walking Down The Halbeath Road

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Coming back from three down to win is impressive but it has overshadowed the fact Matty Todd nonchalantly clipped the ball into the far corner like he’s Ronaldinho, Pirlo or Zidane. 

By all accounts, all 3 have recently slid into his DMs in awe to congratulate. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Coming back from three down to win is impressive but it has overshadowed the fact Matty Todd nonchalantly clipped the ball into the far corner like he’s Ronaldinho, Pirlo or Zidane. 

Fordyce certainly enjoyed your equaliser, have a look at the highlights...

once a par always a par... 

Looking back at Saturday, I think that result/performance answers a few questions that have been asked of us.

A number of fans, of various clubs, have commented on the fact it’s our defence that win us games/points and we aren’t great going forward. On Saturday, on a rare off day for the defence, our attacking players stepped up and bailed them out. That’s what happens in a good team. The defence have bailed outright attackers out, when they’ve been guilty of poor performances/finishing/not creating chances many times this season. But it’s good to see that we can score goals and play some very good attacking football when required.

The management team will be assessing what went wrong in the first half and trying to find ways to make sure there’s not a repeat of that on Saturday. They’ll have enjoyed the win, but they won’t want to have to rely on that sort of comeback again!

Agree, although in a way it makes it all the more frustrating that we can't blow teams away like that as we clearly have players who have the skill, pace and power to do so. Had we done something in the games v Clyde and Peterhead we'd be even further ahead. Can't get too greedy of course but just frustrating that we can't seem to click going forward until we need to.

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Agree, although in a way it makes it all the more frustrating that we can't blow teams away like that as we clearly have players who have the skill, pace and power to do so. Had we done something in the games v Clyde and Peterhead we'd be even further ahead. Can't get too greedy of course but just frustrating that we can't seem to click going forward until we need to.

Yes we would be sitting 6 points further ahead going into the last quarter just 12 points of 70 which I think is around what we will need.

Hopefully the whole team can kick on from Saturday keep the goal scoring threat going but knuckle back down and keeping clean sheets.

Just watched the highlights again (ours & Airdries') - our defending was diabolical. Need to really sort that out for Saturday. We can't just abandon what we've been good at all season & let ourselves get carved open again like the weekend.

I'd take 1-0 right now.

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I don’t think we would get away with that kind of tactic in most circumstances. We were up against 10 men, who were camped out in their own box and showed no attacking intent. However, players like Mahon, Mochrie and Todd seemed to thrive at the opportunity to get forward and show what they can do. I also thought McCann played very well on the left. I’d hope that we can find a way to utilise the ability of these guys running at opponents with the ball.

Theres no doubt that we can play better in an attacking sense than we’ve shown most weeks. But, for whatever reason, we’ve rarely seen it - and only tend to see it once we go behind in a game.

I don’t think the defence have looked as solid the last few weeks and Saturday was a culmination of that. So I do wonder if it’s time to shift the mentality to trying to score more, rather than trying to concede less. But it’s a risk to change the mindset when we’ve still only lost 1/23 playing the way we have been.

Thing is teams have played us twice or three times mostly now so have a better idea what to expect. If we can change the approach slightly then I'm for it as it keeps other teams guessing. We got it wrong the first half and changed it quickly. Thankfully we could do that. As last season we all know how a ge like that would have ended.

Edited by Heaton

The first thing McPake bangs on about is the hard work and fitness and Saturday typifies what that core fitness can achieve even if the general play isn’t at its best. The clarity of thought to increase the tempo as the game goes on doesn’t just happen overnight.

I think if we had to go into a game with a win at all costs mentality we could do it no bother (eg that win in Falkirk). Definitely been a step up in the flowing football/fancy goals in recent months and being a bit sloppier and more open is maybe a consequence. It’s letting the players off the lead a bit after they’d shown they can knuckle down and be mentally stronger than last year. IF we went up we’d maybe go back to being a more brutal/robust unit to start with.

3 hours ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

McPake is our most competent manager in an age. 

Agreed. Knows how to change it up when it isn’t going right and isn’t scared to go against the status quo going in to a match. Haven’t had a manager like that in donkeys. 

Whilst we all say nice things about McPake the Evening Telegraph has ran an article linking him with the Motherwell job, Alan Temple who used to do a lot of the Pars stuff when at the Courier. Surely not? I’d be surprised if he was interested at this time, I’d say Motherwell will go down and we’ll go up anyway. 

Aye, in the eyes of outside observers he's probably doing "as expected" - a team relegated being at the top end of the lower division isn't that unusual - despite us knowing how well he's doing compared to the last two clowns and with the small squad we have. 

Given his past record in the top flight with Dundee, I'd imagine it would take us winning the league and then challenging at the top end next season for clubs higher up the food chain to take notice.