Walking Down The Halbeath Road

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Don't play you for 5 and a bit months but play you at home on 11th Feb and and away 18th Feb.

Glad that it's been rearranged for a Saturday but I can't ever remember playing two league fixtures in a row against the same opposition before.

I'm sure it has happened to us before but not 100%, maybe wasn't two league games. I seem to recall season 2011/12 and Inverness CT, I'm sure we played them 800 times in one season, league games, cup plus replays.

Glad it's a Saturday with us both being out the Scottish, common sense and chance of a better support with it being the weekend.

Edited by The Toun Clock

21 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Don't play you for 5 and a bit months but play you at home on 11th Feb and and away 18th Feb.

Glad that it's been rearranged for a Saturday but I can't ever remember playing two league fixtures in a row against the same opposition before.

Apparently it’s not as rare as you’d think. In fact, it’s the second time we’ve played Airdrie twice in a row in the last 15 years. Last time the games were only 3 days apart. Done a quick look at fixtures from last 15 years and came across the following:

Last season we played Killie away 12th Feb, had no game until 26th Feb, when we played Killie at home. Both in the league.

2010-11 we played Stirling away on 15th March, then home on the 19th. Both in the league.

2009-10 we played Airdrie at home 6th March, then away on the 9th. We also played Raith at home 16th March and away on the 20th that season - again, all of these games were in the league. We must have had a big backlog of fixtures!

20 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Apparently it’s not as rare as you’d think. In fact, it’s the second time we’ve played Airdrie twice in a row in the last 15 years. Last time the games were only 3 days apart. Done a quick look at fixtures from last 15 years and came across the following:

Last season we played Killie away 12th Feb, had no game until 26th Feb, when we played Killie at home. Both in the league.

2010-11 we played Stirling away on 15th March, then home on the 19th. Both in the league.

2009-10 we played Airdrie at home 6th March, then away on the 9th. We also played Raith at home 16th March and away on the 20th that season - again, all of these games were in the league. We must have had a big backlog of fixtures!

Was it 2009/10 or 2010/11 we had the really bad snow that began late November and went through until mid January? Might explain it.

New podcast episode alert! ‼️

Episode 6 of East End Tales is out now. We speak with Austin McCann about his time at the Pars, and the game in question this time is the day we papped the wee team 2-1 to effectively win promotion in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day! 

We are also looking for your ideas for a particular topic, but you'll need to listen to find out...

Subscribe to us on Spotify, Google Podcasts or Amazon Music to get these straight to your device without waiting for me to post them, or click on the link below to go straight to the podcast now, for your commute or a warm up for the Dundee game later tonight. Enjoy!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928

PS: Tomorrow we're already recording with another special guest, someone who had two stints at the club and was involved in a high-scoring thriller...

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

New podcast episode alert! ‼️

Episode 6 of East End Tales is out now. We speak with Austin McCann about his time at the Pars, and the game in question this time is the day we papped the wee team 2-1 to effectively win promotion in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day! 

We are also looking for your ideas for a particular topic, but you'll need to listen to find out...

Subscribe to us on Spotify, Google Podcasts or Amazon Music to get these straight to your device without waiting for me to post them, or click on the link below to go straight to the podcast now, for your commute or a warm up for the Dundee game later tonight. Enjoy!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928

PS: Tomorrow we're already recording with another special guest, someone who had two stints at the club and was involved in a high-scoring thriller...

Will give this a listen later. Enjoyed all of the others.

Next one, Gary Mason? Had two spells, involved in a 4-4 draw with St Mirren in his last season.

Sam Young starting tonight, good opportunity for the young lad. Hopefully he can play well! Good to see Todd, Wighton and Comrie get a rest. Also good for the other 3 strikers to get a start.

How bad must Max Little be? Can’t even get a run out in the challenge cup!

5 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

A draw and pumping from the league above in the last 2. 

Played decent enough. Not fussed. 

I wasn’t bothered about tonight at all. Don’t get me wrong, would have been nice to go through on Saturday but was all about the performance and not getting humped, if anything we should have won the game. Tonight, score line looks worse than it was, still went there and scored twice but as I said I wasn’t too fussed about going through, I’d rather we just kicked on and get out this league. Dundee went to Falkirk and won 0-3 in the last round so not like anyone in the division is doing anything better. 

Pars more than held their own last night. Everything Dundee hit was going in and the scoreline looks more comfortable than it was. 

See a few comments elsewhere highlighting how this team is not chamionship ready and we need 4-5 signings but I genuininely think we're not far off as we are. Need to strenghen the defence.

14 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Pars more than held their own last night. Everything Dundee hit was going in and the scoreline looks more comfortable than it was. 

See a few comments elsewhere highlighting how this team is not chamionship ready and we need 4-5 signings but I genuininely think we're not far off as we are. Need to strenghen the defence.

I think we would need 4-5 signings. But largely because I think we’d need a bigger squad/more options. In the championship, I I don’t think we’d get away with having just 3 CBs at the club, no cover at LB and no wingers. I don’t think the issue is that the starting 11 wouldn’t be good enough, I just think we need more/better cover or options to change things up.

How did Sam Young play last night? Glad to hear the team held their own. Dundee are clearly a better team than we’ll face at any point in the remainder of the season.

45 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Pars more than held their own last night. Everything Dundee hit was going in and the scoreline looks more comfortable than it was

Think that's not quite true.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Think that's not quite true.

Matter of opinion I guess. But I really didn't think there was a lot in it.  I thought making the 3 changes distrupted us and was the main cause of Dundee winning the game rather than a lack of quality.

When I say we don't need 4-5 signings, I mean for the starting 11. I think it's an exaggeration to say we're that far off. Filling the sqaud out I would agree with. We are a light on players but I would say that the case now, not just for the championship.

11 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Matter of opinion I guess. But I really didn't think there was a lot in it.  I thought making the 3 changes distrupted us and was the main cause of Dundee winning the game rather than a lack of quality.

When I say we don't need 4-5 signings, I mean for the starting 11. I think it's an exaggeration to say we're that far off. Filling the sqaud out I would agree with. We are a light on players but I would say that the case now, not just for the championship.

Thought we were pretty decent first half and created quite a few chances, again missing almost all of them. Benedictus got caught for their first. Equaliser was a lovely move. Dundee did have some other chances too.

Second half we weren't at it though and thought we struggled a bit. Our passing was really poor and the crossing not good enough. The 'defending' for their second was terrible.

Was mostly Dundee from then on, with our players only having a couple of half chances. Thought there was an obvious gulf from there. 

I think opposition clubs must now be targeting Mehmet with shots from edge of the box, as that's how their third and fourth came about, albeit not helped by some slow defending.

If we want to challenge for the title should we go up then we absolutely need quite a few new players in for the starting XI.

Hopefully the team now though will get the job done and ensure such decisions need to be made.

27 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Wonder if the upcoming "fixture pile-up" or the recent "pumpings" will lead to us chucking a few games to give the mutants over the bridge even a tiny chance?

Our Grangemouth friends will hope so but I don't think the cup defeats will have any impact. I'm sure we'll drop points between now and May but so will everyone else in the division. The league isn't done, but I do think we'll win it.

There's a lot of football to be played, I think we'll strengthen in the window, Falkirk could potentially be weakened if Kennedy leaves before they get a chance to add so who knows. I fully expect the march to the title to kick on when we take on Clyde this weekend.