Walking Down The Halbeath Road

They should make it a glitzy affair, like folk leaving The Jungle or Big Brother. Folk could gather on Halbeath Road, fireworks go off, the doors open and there’s Yogi. He’s handed a glass of bubbly and asked by Burty how he enjoyed his time. 

I’ll no longer accept anything else unless it’s Davina McCall standing outside Charlie D’s announcing each contract termination, followed by “how about one more?!?”

The statement made Yogi’s position untenable. He’d have some brass neck to stay on after his new boss has stated what a failure he was last season. Hopefully it’s just a matter of the club following all the right steps in terms of employment law. 

All the stuff about developing and selling players seemed to go out the window with Grant and Yogi. Yogi was simply Kenny mk2,  given a great budget to keep us up and failed miserably. Can’t blame him though - this season is squarely down to the board appointing possibly the least two qualified folk on the planet. 

Hired a guy who’s most recent championship experience was coming dead last.

He had us on track to come dead last.

Replaced him with a guy who’s most recent championship experience was coming 9th followed by an embarrassing playoff defeat.

He led us to 9th followed by an embarrassing playoff defeat.

And the board are shocked by all of this.

All the stuff about developing and selling players seemed to go out the window with Grant and Yogi.

This is the part I don’t get. Our player recruitment strategy, which had been largely successful, has been tossed out the window. We’re building a training centre and re-establishing an academy, but at the same time we moved away from signing youngsters and trying to develop them and use us as a stepping stone.

To be fair, in January we were desperate for players to save us. We failed despite going for older heads though, so we still would have been no worse just building for the longer term.

35 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Or Hughes who fucked him off for no being left footed.

The brings in a right footed disaster zone to replace him. That was a sackable offence in it's self, then you add the paying a fee for Joe Chalmers. The guy was a failure in the transfer market, as previously predicted by fans of previous clubs he managed.

I’m sure Andy Ryan was the first player we paid a fee for in a long time. It was a big signing, a bit of a statement that we were paying actual money, and said a lot about Ryan’s ability and form at the time.

Since then, it feels (might be overestimating it in my head) like we’ve bought quite a few players including Chalmers who have been, at best, completely average, and weren’t exactly expected to be a lot better than that.

Didn’t we pay a fee for Kyle MacDonald, for example? McArthur has been praised for at least having some business sense, but there’s been some frivolous spending followed up by some ‘times are tough’ statements from the Club over the last couple of years.

Might be wrong on a few things there, the thought of paying a fee for Joe fucking Chalmers just seems ridiculous, considering how significant it seemed to be coughing up for a player about 5 years ago.

I’m sure Andy Ryan was the first player we paid a fee for in a long time. It was a big signing, a bit of a statement that we were paying actual money, and said a lot about Ryan’s ability and form at the time.

Since then, it feels (might be overestimating it in my head) like we’ve bought quite a few players including Chalmers who have been, at best, completely average, and weren’t exactly expected to be a lot better than that.

Didn’t we pay a fee for Kyle MacDonald, for example? McArthur has been praised for at least having some business sense, but there’s been some frivolous spending followed up by some ‘times are tough’ statements from the Club over the last couple of years.

Might be wrong on a few things there, the thought of paying a fee for Joe fucking Chalmers just seems ridiculous, considering how significant it seemed to be coughing up for a player about 5 years ago.
Aye it changed from paying a fee being an eye raiser to pretty much being the norm. Turner another one who springs to mind who we paid cash for and returned nothing after running his contract down.

Aye it changed from paying a fee being an eye raiser to pretty much being the norm. Turner another one who springs to mind who we paid cash for and returned nothing after running his contract down.

Tbh I didn’t mind paying a fee for Turner. Clearly has/had potential at the time of signing and there was plenty competition. Similar to Ryan, just a shame it didn’t work out.

We paid fees/compensation for Murray, O’Hara, Thomas, Edwards and Turner, who I think were worth it - or have at least shown some glimpses of talent/potential. Also got Nisbet for free, due to a stupid clause Rovers put in his contract. We seemed to be very ‘on the ball’ with getting players under contract at other clubs, or just players we needed to pay compensation for.

We also paid fees/compensation for poor signings like Ryan, Lang, McGill, MacDonald and Chalmers. I may have missed some on either/both lists, but it’s clearly been a mixed bag in terms of success of the signings that we paid fees for.

My main concern is that of the 5 I’ve listed as not being poor signings, 3 have now left for nothing and only Edwards to date has signed an extension beyond their initial contract. We need to try and sort that.

We’ve also developed a new habit of selling some players. We sold Jackson Longridge in 2019, Nisbet and Lang in 2020 and McManus in 2021 for fees. Before that, can’t have sold many players since Willie Gibson?

Think you’re spot on, Callum. Paying a fee/compensation should be a bit of an investment. We’re spending money on players and watching them go for f**k all, for a variety of reasons, including being absolutely gubbins and players being free to go at the end of their contract with no reason to stay at Dunfermline.

Wasn’t the justification for the Ryan fee that it was within the allocated playing pool budget so up to the manager how he spent it? Eg, Ryan’s fee + wages would probably still be less than a season of Dorrans. 

Edited by Shandon Par