Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
If they keep Hughes on then they'd better massively adjust their budget downwards, as they'll struggle to shift 1000 season tickets, not to mention the reduction in walk ups, the reduction in lifeline funds, the reduction in merchandise and the reduction in prize money for when we finish well below the top places.

And factor in they'll inevitably be paying up his contract in October/November anyway.

Aye, that too.

Going to be a very, very costly season ahead if they retain him. Genuinely unsure how they could afford it.

Got to be one of those ones where it should be cheaper in the long term to bump him, but I genuinely think they think the guy is grreat and think he can do no wrong. Just like with Grant. Still think the board fantasise about that man in their spare time like Smithers when Mr Burns flies through the window. A weird bunch. 

I'm hearing he's away (again, lol)

Aye, I'm hearing from some folk connected to the club saying he is getting the boot. Hopefully it's true and not just chit chat. 

You guys better not be messing around. Either way, I’d imagine we’ll be releasing something today/tomorrow. Wonder if we’re just going for one big statement announcing all departures/changes (directors, management and players)?

You guys better not be messing around. Either way, I’d imagine we’ll be releasing something today/tomorrow. Wonder if we’re just going for one big statement announcing all departures/changes (directors, management and players)?

I would imagine that would be the case. It’ll be interesting to see who’s signing off the statements too.

22 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You forgot about Grant trying to make him a central midfielder.

As predicted, didn't take long.

22 hours ago, smpar said:

You don’t actually believe that, do you?

22 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Utter pish.

Okay so not only when the SportScene cameras were in town but not far off it. I count no more than five games where DT was on the form you expect of him, Raith home, ICT away, Killie at home, Thistle at home, Rovers at home. He's a luxury player, a very talented person with a football, all the skills in the book but he doesn't turn up every week and thems the facts.

Edited by The Toun Clock

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

That's a lot more games than most of the squad turned up for this season.

It wasn't a good season. We're clutching at straws if we can say DT had a good season because of a few good games. Great footballer but c'mon he was the best of a bad bunch.

7 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

If he turned up every week then he'd never have signed for us in the first place.

So weird to criticise Thomas when almost every one of the other 32 players we used this season performed worse.

DT was the topic, hence why he's being discussed. I've not got the time to criticise the other 32 jobbers I'd be typing until Christmas.

Okay so not only when the SportScene cameras were in town but not far off it. I count no more than five games where DT was on the form you expect of him, Raith home, ICT away, Killie at home, Thistle at home, Rovers at home. He's a luxury player, a very talented person with a football, all the skills in the book but he doesn't turn up every week and thems the facts.

Think you have to add Ayr at home (Hughes’ first game) to the list as well. He played well that day.

Once you factor that in, you seem to be arguing that someone who’s performance was crucial in 4 of our 7 wins isn’t going to be a big loss?

I thought it was very noticeable that he was the only player in the team that was direct and drove us forward. Particularly in the latter stages of the season, once we had Chalmers, Polworth and Lawless in there. Thomas was always the one who kept pushing forward in games, when everyone else kept slowing the game down. We definitely missed his style of play in the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

It wasn't a good season. We're clutching at straws if we can say DT had a good season because of a few good games. Great footballer but c'mon he was the best of a bad bunch.

DT was the topic, hence why he's being discussed. I've not got the time to criticise the other 32 jobbers I'd be typing until Christmas.

At literally no point did anyone say he wasn't the best of a bad bunch.

Attitudes about skilful players being "inconsistent" or a "luxury" are why Scotland produces a raft of tall, hard-working stiffs who have had all the creativity sucked out of them.

Done a quick bit of research. Dom Thomas started 16 league games this season. We got 20 points in those 16 league games. That means that he didn’t start in 20 league games and we got 15 points in those 20 games.

Worth noting that, in line with The Toun Clock’s criticism, he was subbed off early (around the hour) in defeats to Inverness and Killie, having been underwhelming. But I’d argue his ratio of poor games is quite far off. Given he probably played well in around 50% of his starts this season, which is a hell of a lot better than any of his teammates (except Donaldson).

Worth noting that we scored 22 goals at East End and 15 of them came when he was on the park. Away from home, I think he was less influential, but obviously got the winner away to Inverness. We struggled to score away from home all season though and he’s far from the only one to blame for that. I actually think the issue could be that we were too reliant on him, so teams would try and stop him, knowing we didn’t really have any other serious threat.

10 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Done a quick bit of research. Dom Thomas started 16 league games this season. We got 20 points in those 16 league games. That means that he didn’t start in 20 league games and we got 15 points in those 20 games.

Worth noting that, in line with The Toun Clock’s criticism, he was subbed off early (around the hour) in defeats to Inverness and Killie, having been underwhelming. But I’d argue his ratio of poor games is quite far off. Given he probably played well in around 50% of his starts this season, which is a hell of a lot better than any of his teammates (except Donaldson).

Worth noting that we scored 22 goals at East End and 17 of them came when he was on the park. Away from home, I think he was less influential, but obviously got the winner away to Inverness. We struggled to score away from home all season though and he’s far from the only one to blame for that. I actually think the issue could be that we were too reliant on him, so teams would try and stop him, knowing we didn’t really have any other serious threat.

"nah he just does tricks an that eh"

You play Dom Thomas in his natural position, even shit teams like our's chances of getting results instantly grows. It's just common knowledge. The club treated him like a total reprobate this season. It's so infuriating. 

5 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

You play Dom Thomas in his natural position, even shit teams like our's chances of getting results instantly grows. It's just common knowledge. The club treated him like a total reprobate this season. It's so infuriating. 

In what way did the club treat him like a reprobate? The current idiot manager didn't pick him for a few games & the idiot before him thought he was a central midfielder but think it's a bit of a stretch to say he was treated badly by "the club"