Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Wighton in league 1 would be decent. Dare I say even Mehmet would be okay for league 1, I actually thought he looked okay when Jakub was on International duty.

Shame about Martin next year would be a testimonial year for him I think.

Comrie going from POTY to "let's punt him" is a wild shout.

I understand people are upset but this notion of just binning an entire squad - most of whom are under contract - is a bit childish.

Comrie has, by his standards, had a ropey season (in the ropiest of ropey seasons this club may ever have had) and he's getting fired out of a cannon? Nut, no for me. 

I'm all for shifting on the shite but this all has to be taken into context of an awful season with two poor/criminally shite managers. 

With my midweek, dust settled from the weekend dross hat on. The players I cannot find an argument for keeping are Chalmers, Ambrose, Mehmet (wages) and Jones.  

Dom, Wighton and Todorov will leave of their own accord, I believe. 

The rest CAN be molded into something decent by a competent, dare I say modern, manager. 

Posted (edited)

Comrie any good? Always struck me as a standard championship RB. Nothing special. We’ll be in the market for a right back if Tumilty is indeed away.

Edited by Enigma

Comrie any good? Always struck me as a standard championship RB. Nothing special. We’ll be in the market for a right back if Tumilty is indeed away.
He's under contract so £250k should do it.

Just now, Rob1885 said:
44 minutes ago, Enigma said:

He's under contract so £250k should do it.

Hopefully a relegation clause in there somewhere then…

Hopefully a relegation clause in there somewhere then…

Honestly, I’d be surprised if we were offering contracts with relegation contracts last year. I would say that you don’t say you’re going for the title, then offer contracts with relegation clauses. But then you also really shouldn’t say you’re going for the title, when you appoint Peter Grant as manager.

I’ll be disappointed if Yogi/any of his signings (Chalmers) didn’t have relegation clauses. Would show a real lack of foresight from the board. We were only 3 points from 6th when he was appointed, it’s not like he had an impossible task.

Regarding Comrie, if Hughes is still here you (or someone else) might get him fairly cheap. He’s moved Todd to RB. Also got MacDonald signed up for next season. I’d imagine we might want to cash in on/offload one of the RBs. MacDonald would be my preference, but Yogi doesn’t seem to rate Comrie. A decent manager in at the club would keep him, no questions asked.

One of Comrie/MacDonald will be moved on now Todd is being moulded in to a RB. MacDonald would be my choice but wouldn't be sad to see either go tbh. 

It's clear that our board get moist about managers that like passing football, as if it's something that excites fans. It's a complete falacy. 

Fans want attacking football, if that incorporates passing then fair enough. Scoring goals gets the fans going and Hughes vision doesn't deliver that.

What we've had under Hughes is needless passing in areas on the pitch that cause no harm. No dangerous balls from wide areas and numbers in the box. Not scored in our last 4 away games now. That's not bad luck.  It's because the front areas are totally neglected with Hughes tactics.

Get him out after the play-offs regardless. Another mouth piece like Grant that can't back his waffle with results.

I don't think Hughes can stay tbh, especially if/when we go down. Fans have begun to turn on him and very, very few come back from that.

He'll end up getting punted in October/November anyway so best idea would be to come to an agreement by end of May and get the new man in for start of pre-season.

On the players, if Chalmers never kicks a ball for us again then I'd be fine with that. Edwards and Todd work their hearts out, even if they're limited. Dorrans could lead us to Champions League and the support still wouldn't take to him, nor him to us. I love the Holy Goalie.

Not scored in our last 4 away games now. That's not bad luck.  It's because the front areas are totally neglected with Hughes tactics.

You’re actually downplaying it. Agree with your post completely. Hughes is not the right man at all. We’ve failed to score in 9 of his 13 away games now, that’s just not good enough. He doesn’t set the team up to win away games at all. Even at home, I’m not convinced he sets the team up to win. He likes garbage possession in defence/midfield and doesn’t seem to come up with any plan to score goals. Goals win games and get fans to turn up, it’s as simple as that. Playing for 0-0/1-0 every week isn’t entertaining at all.

Yeah, all that passing about and going nowhere. Does my head in. Just wasting your own time. Fine, if you happen to be winning. Works at a higher level because players have better control and ping it around. Plus they actually know what they are doing. Pars just seem to run out of ideas.

Arbroath have been the best side I have seen this season, and they keep it simple. It isn't hard at all to take advantage of the players we have, but Hughes is managing to complicate it. 

On 05/05/2022 at 01:12, Cardle is Magic said:

I don't think Hughes can stay tbh, especially if/when we go down. Fans have begun to turn on him and very, very few come back from that.

He'll end up getting punted in October/November anyway so best idea would be to come to an agreement by end of May and get the new man in for start of pre-season.

According to Alan Temple it doesn't look good:

https://twitter.com/alanftemple/status/1522199923948666886?s=20&t=26m44J7k5_uZbnFODoAxnQ7ONVdm0m4enqjO8YkSk8g

33 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yeah, all that passing about and going nowhere. Does my head in. Just wasting your own time. Fine, if you happen to be winning. Works at a higher level because players have better control and ping it around. Plus they actually know what they are doing. Pars just seem to run out of ideas.

All we do is pass it around between the defenders and the keeper before a massive, aimless punt, because teams long ago knew to just press us and force it. We don't have players dropping from midfield for the ball enough. There are occasions where you can see what he's trying and even occasions where it works, and works well, but we just don't have the players to continually play out of defence; they aren't good enough to do it.

4 minutes ago, Islay said:

Horrendous news. Good luck with the season ticket sales. Think the club will be fortunate to shift 2000, and if they do and Hughes stays on, that's probably the new 'hardcore' figure going forward. Well done to the board for decimating the support should that happen.

Fucking dire news. Be lucky to shift 2000 in the Championship and it'll be well less if we get relegated. Board are a fucking joke.