Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Indicative of a team that ultimately gets relegated when they change tactics and players every single game.

Hughes is fucking clueless. Only marginally better than Grant, and that’s not what we needed. We needed a total revamp and it hasn’t been forthcoming. Fucking disgrace this has been allowed to happen by the hierarchy.

An absolutely abysmal on-field record for McArthur as he gives up his role. Yes, he helped save the club etc etc blah blah, but at the end of the day, the results he has overlooked the past few years have been nothing short of a disgrace. Him and the hierarchy ultimately to blame for allowing this. Not all on them tbf but they were the ones making these important decisions which they got wrong every single season. Shambles. The past decade has been nothing but torture with no real change we all were expecting a la Leish in the 80s to get us back up to the top flight. We’ve just got worse, actually. An absolute disgrace.

It’s still an improvement on Grant but that’s a very low bar.

This is a rather important point. People seem quick to point out he’s better than Grant. But that really shouldn’t be the standard that any manager is judged on. Ayr, Morton and QoS have all sacked managers who were better than Grant and had better records than Grant.

13 league games (I think?) under Hughes. Not giving him the Inverness game. We’ve failed to score in 6 of them - as well as the cup game v Partick, which would be 7 of 14 in all comps. He seems to ‘experiment’ with different things every week. Including this Dorrans attacking midfield experiment that just doesn’t work.

We were 3 points behind 8th when Grant was sacked. If you want to pretend Hughes was in charge for the Inverness game, we were 5 points behind 8th when he was appointed. But the reality is, we were 2 points behind 8th (and just 3 points behind 6th place) when he took his first training session. This is our worst league position of the season and there’s only 9 games left.

I kinda agree with a lot of what has been said by @CallumPar, @Cardle is Magic and @DAFC. above but its hard to blame tactics too much for today's game. Arbroath had two, maybe three chances and scored with one of them. We had five or six, hit the frame of the goal with three of them and missed a double chance sitter just before they scored. It's not like we were awful today, although the changes he made were baffling and why Thomas doesn't start/come on sooner is also a head scratcher.

Took a drive up to Arbroath today and thought we were unlucky but not being adventurous enough to create out own luck. Need to pose more attacking threat. I can't stand the one up front. We need to win games and the isolated striker is no use.  We are over doing the passing too. We do it with no pace or attacking purpose. We give teams too much time to get into their defensive shape.

Edwards was utterly shocking today. Lawless one on one should've done much better. Dorrans hitting the ball at the keeper from 6 yards out. Knocking the ball about in areas that doesn't hurt the opposition may look good , but it's not what you need in a relegation battle. We will go down if we don't start getting more bodies in the box and being a bit more direct.

Edited by Chubbychops

Probably better just ditching all niche, tactical possession pish and just go with the big man up front and nippy striker playing off him, with wingers. I mean, we’ve done pretty much everything else and it has failed, so…

Just now, DAFC. said:

Probably better just ditching all niche, tactical possession pish and just go with the big man up front and nippy striker playing off him, with wingers. I mean, we’ve done pretty much everything else and it has failed, so…

Hughes is an utter fraud if he claims to be a guy who plays possession football.

He's a long ball, caveman shitebag manager.

He may claim that we have to play really defensively, but we still concede really easily. Therefore, the defensive set up is nonsense.

The c**t plays Lawless and Dow yet not as natural wingers most of the time. To compound this, he leaves Dom Thomas on the bench! When he brought DT23 on today, it appeared to be as a wingback!! 

We are the league's lowest scorers and have conceded the most.

Just get Hughes so, so far to f**k. He deserves f**k all from us. Punt him in the summer and hire Tommy Wright.

You were doing so well, right up until Wright (which I know is just a jest)

The more I think about it the more I would like to see Cardle manager next season. Legend that knows the club and was a spearhead every team he played in. Looked a proper leader as well as being a legend. Would rather see that than the usual merry-go-round pish.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We're doon.

Huh? Only 2 points behind with 27 still to play for, including a home game with Queens to finish .... believe me there's a long way to go yet. I couldn't even begin to forecast this ...

10 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Huh? Only 2 points behind with 27 still to play for, including a home game with Queens to finish .... believe me there's a long way to go yet. I couldn't even begin to forecast this ...

That's to 9th though, can you see us bettering two sides who are on the up and full of confidence from League One?

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

That's to 9th though, can you see us bettering two sides who are on the up and full of confidence from League One?

Yep, I've been thinking that too and for Queens that was definitely the case a month ago under AJ when we were so negative and confidence was shot. Mind you back then even 9th was dreamland.

Thing is, Cove are strolling L1 and we just papped them oot the Diddy Cup, wasn't much in it to be fair but we had a bit too much nous on the night. Makes me think places 2, 3 & 4 in L1 (although confident as you say) would not be quite at Cove's level, so all would not be lost. Famous last words ... I know.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, I've been thinking that too and for Queens that was definitely the case a month ago under AJ when we were so negative and confidence was shot. Mind you back then even 9th was dreamland.

Thing is, Cove are strolling L1 and we just papped them oot the Diddy Cup, wasn't much in it to be fair but we had a bit too much nous on the night. Makes me think places 2, 3 & 4 in L1 (although confident as you say) would not be quite at Cove's level, so all would not be lost. Famous last words ... I know.

If you papped us out of the Diddy Cup what did we do to you at Palmerston in the Scottish Cup!? Granted under AJ (and see below).

That game last week you got off the mark very quickly, sat back and then soaked a decent amount of pressure but for all the territory and half chances, we never had our shooting boots on. Another day we'd have taken a chance or two and it would have altered proceedings. Prior to Junior's 2nd half chance i don't think there could of been any complaints if Cove drew on level terms. Fyvie inexplicably missed a sitter from a couple of yards out. Was saved by Rae who looked very capable.

Granted towards the latter stages Queens had a couple of break away chances. On the day it's about winning and QoS did that.

Willie doing a fine job at the helm and clearly QoS looked like they have turned a corner, fine result yesterday.

As for L1, Airdrie look an improved side than the one that failed to get past Morton last season in the playoff final. Not inconceivable that we are in the playoffs, only 5 points ahead with 8 games still to go. If we're in the playoffs (and make it to the final) we wouldn't fear QoS or whoever we might come up against and I'm presuming vice versa.

Championship final will be competitive but wouldn't like to say which way it might go.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Last year Morton were in a similar situation and looked doomed, and yet they comfortably dispatched Montrose and Airdrie in the playoffs.

Those two sides do appear to be slightly better than last season, but I do feel there’s more of a gulf between the divisions than is generally thought. Dunfermline should still have enough to beat anyone in the top half of League One.

But do you remember last time Yogi faced the playoffs? I think everyone expected Raith to get through them fairly comfortably. Instead, Brechin beat them and became one of the worst teams ever to play at this level of football.

It honestly seems to be that any team that are well organised and willing to fight for every ball are going to beat us. Every week, I feel like we’re being outfought all over the park. Guys like Chalmers, Dorrans, Dow, Edwards and Lawless seem to back out of any 50/50 or physical challenge. Our team is very ‘soft’ and are still too focussed on playing ‘pretty’ football, rather than fighting for their lives. Passing it about the back when we’re losing is just awful to watch and will not get us results. In fact, it became clear that, despite the lack of goals, McCann’s physicality and battling with defenders is an asset to our attacking play. When he came on, we were finally able to win a few battles at that end of the park. We need to play him and O’Hara together, but the manager just won’t do it.

We’ve won 3 of 13 league games under Yogi, failing to score in 6 of them. He’s brought in 7 players, so doesn’t have the excuse that it’s Grant’s team anymore either. His ‘experiments’ get more and more bizarre/desperate every week. 62nd minute yesterday, he made his first sub. We played the next 20 minutes with Dom Thomas at RWB and Ryan Dow at LWB (where he’d played all game to that point). We also had Josh Edwards on the left of a back 3 for almost the full game, becoming the 11th player we’ve played at CB this season and the 7th player to play at CB in Yogi’s 13 games (Connolly, Gaspuitis, Breen, Martin, Donaldson and Ambrose before him). We have 9 games left and the manager is still experimenting with the squad. Seemingly with no clue how to get the best out of any of his players.

20 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Last year Morton were in a similar situation and looked doomed, and yet they comfortably dispatched Montrose and Airdrie in the playoffs.

Those two sides do appear to be slightly better than last season, but I do feel there’s more of a gulf between the divisions than is generally thought. Dunfermline should still have enough to beat anyone in the top half of League One.

Morton lost to Montrose 2-1 in the first leg and it took a 120th minute goal in the second leg to avoid penalities. Very close to potentially going out in the semis.

They beat Airdire 1-0 with a 94th goal in the final first leg. Second leg they steam rolled it completely.

All the Championship sides should be capable of competing and at least on their day beating a top half L1 side.

Edited by CoveRangers1922