Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Whether he’s ultimately a success or not, I don’t think we could have realistically given ourselves a better chance of surviving with this appointment. We need experience, this isn’t time for unproven managers, or those who don’t know this league well. Every appointment is a gamble, but appointing someone with no experience at this level to salvage this season would have been a huge risk for all parties.

This sounds suspiciously like mine and a lot of other Rovers fans' take on our situation at the time we appointed him.

For what it's worth, I think you'll be fine. There's enough quality in the Pars squad to pull away from trouble, it's down to Hughes to get the best out of them.

I could be well wide of the mark, but Dom Thomas seems like the antithesis of a John Hughes player. Bobby Barr's whole ethos was "just let me go out and play" which Hughes absolutely despised. Thomas seems the same. The last thing he wants is to be burdened with stringent responsibilities. It'll be interesting to see how that dynamic develops. 

15 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Yogi’s first interview and he’s already called the squad a ‘soft touch’ and a ‘laughing stock’.

I mean, he’s not lying but unsure if it will have the desired effect.

It’s just the start!! Mano eh Mano , kit man will be doing team talks soon as well, 

Yogi’s first interview and he’s already called the squad a ‘soft touch’ and a ‘laughing stock’.

Throwing the players under the bus this early on isn’t a great move. Some will respond positively to it but some definitely won’t.

I could be well wide of the mark, but Dom Thomas seems like the antithesis of a John Hughes player. Bobby Barr's whole ethos was "just let me go out and play" which Hughes absolutely despised. Thomas seems the same. The last thing he wants is to be burdened with stringent responsibilities. It'll be interesting to see how that dynamic develops. 

Think you could be right. I wouldn’t be surprise to see Thomas have a similar relationship with Hughes as he did with Grant; Hughes will know he’s a cracking player at this level but won’t think twice of dropping him if he doesn’t like his attitude.

2 minutes ago, smpar said:

Think you could be right. I wouldn’t be surprise to see Thomas have a similar relationship with Hughes as he did with Grant; Hughes will know he’s a cracking player at this level but won’t think twice of dropping him if he doesn’t like his attitude.

It's a very one-sided account from someone who's had numerous, well-publicised falling outs with John Hughes, but the Tell Him He's Pelé interview with Bobby Barr is a very good account of what it's like to be a mercurial player under his management. 

For every disgruntled tricky winger who doesn't want to track back, I'm sure you could find a combative midfielder who'd run through brick walls for Hughes, but there's no doubt he's a divisive figure whose methods live and die by the personalities in his dressing room.

The big advantage, albeit a potentially expensive one, is that the Pars still have January to come. He's got eight weeks to work out who's on board and who's not, and then a window to bring in more of his own men. I wonder how much latitude he's got in that sense. If he wants to flip ten players, is there going to be budget to do that? I suspect he wouldn't have taken the job without those kind of assurances. 

34 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Has he passed any comment on the Pars' board yet?

6 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It's a very one-sided account from someone who's had numerous, well-publicised falling outs with John Hughes, but the Tell Him He's Pelé interview with Bobby Barr is a very good account of what it's like to be a mercurial player under his management. 

For every disgruntled tricky winger who doesn't want to track back, I'm sure you could find a combative midfielder who'd run through brick walls for Hughes, but there's no doubt he's a divisive figure whose methods live and die by the personalities in his dressing room.

The big advantage, albeit a potentially expensive one, is that the Pars still have January to come. He's got eight weeks to work out who's on board and who's not, and then a window to bring in more of his own men. I wonder how much latitude he's got in that sense. If he wants to flip ten players, is there going to be budget to do that? I suspect he wouldn't have taken the job without those kind of assurances. 

Have you not seen how shite Hughes is at signing his own players? 

We’ve got 7 points from 13 games and are hurtling towards L1.
Fair play to the man if he can make us worse because I’m not sure that’s even possible.
Pretty sure our thread said pretty much something similar....the last three times.

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Throwing the players under the bus this early on isn’t a great move. Some will respond positively to it but some definitely won’t.

Yogi has my full support in weeding out any player who can't accept that they were as much part of the problem as Grant. We're rooted bottom of the Championship and players should at least have some humility to acknowledge they've not done enough. I have no problem giving players a second chance but no time for any player in that changing room who thinks they're better than the rest and the responsibility doesn't apply. 

56 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hughes going for a Fife relegation double. 

He's like the Fife grim reaper, Cowden and East Fife fans must be shitting themselves, he'll be coming for them next.

What about Kelty?!

51 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

This sounds suspiciously like mine and a lot of other Rovers fans' take on our situation at the time we appointed him.

For what it's worth, I think you'll be fine. There's enough quality in the Pars squad to pull away from trouble, it's down to Hughes to get the best out of them.

Is there really? We have some good players but the squad is unbalanced to f**k and padded out with dross (Pybus, Graham, Mehmet, McCann for example) and permanently injured guys (Cole).

29 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Mcglynn told yous to f**k  off then 😉

B6B12D29-D654-4028-9CD8-0548A9CBAE3E.jpeg

The club almost certainly didn’t approach Raith, as Raith would correctly have told them to bolt.

19 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Don't bode for Kai Kennedy, who is an absolute shitehawk. 

1 minute ago, AuldReekie said:

Yogi has my full support in weeding out any player who can't accept that they were as much part of the problem as Grant. We're rooted bottom of the Championship and players should at least have some humility to acknowledge they've not done enough. I have no problem giving players a second chance but no time for any player in that changing room who thinks they're better than the rest and the responsibility doesn't apply. 

Problem is, he's not great at working with what he's got, when what he's got isn't very good, and even worse when it comes to making his own signings, even ICT fans said his signings weren't good. Really isn't the guy you want at a struggling club, Hartlepool and Raith found that out to their cost. Managed to keep County up but they had a shockingly bad Hamilton team as a safety net, and Kilmarnock weren't much better.

I've read from players saying he's a good coach, esp ICT players, but he's an obstinate c**t that wants to play football a certain way, and doesn't want to compromise when the players he has aren't good enough to play it out from the back. Will he have learnt any lessons from previous struggling club appointments, you'll soon find out.

If he has us trying to play out from the back all the time then we're in trouble.

For Grant's last few games, he had the keeper pass short to Edwards, only for Edwards to smash the ball up the pitch aimlessly. This is because the opposition knew this was a tactic and quickly closed Edwards down. Grant persisted with it, resulting in us needlessly giving away possession and inviting pressure.

Was even worse earlier in the season. 

Not sure we have the players to play out from the back when they will be under pressure, especially Connolly who likes to boot the ball all over the place.

5 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Problem is, he's not great at working with what he's got, when what he's got isn't very good, and even worse when it comes to making his own signings, even ICT fans said his signings weren't good. Really isn't the guy you want at a struggling club, Hartlepool and Raith found that out to their cost. Managed to keep County up but they had a shockingly bad Hamilton team as a safety net, and Kilmarnock weren't much better.

I've read from players saying he's a good coach, esp ICT players, but he's an obstinate c**t that wants to play football a certain way, and doesn't want to compromise when the players he has aren't good enough to play it out from the back. Will he have learnt any lessons from previous struggling club appointments, you'll soon find out.

It should also be said we appointed Hughes in December 2013 and we had been flying before hand. The rest of the seasons results were pretty dire while Hughes was trying to get the players used to his tactics/style of play. Granted it paid off massively in the 2014/15 season but he needs time which Dunfermline don’t have to put his ideas across.