Jump to content

Walking Down The Halbeath Road


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:


Along with the Super Joe and Higgy at Kelty Hearts. Going to be some laugh battling for play off spots with Falkirk, while Kelty romp the league.

Just realised you meant Cardle.

Autocorrect showing disrespect to Super Joe there.

Edited by Shandon Par
Link to comment
Share on other sites


You're outlining minutes per goal here for Wighton and Todorov, but in both cases they are over extremely small sample sizes. Neither of them has ever hit double figures in a league season in their career and neither of them would really have finishing down as one of their main strengths. Todorov is a good, if somewhat limited, targetman, and Wighton is an excellent technical player. I thought the latter was one of the best players on the park when we played you earlier in the season, but he did all his best work outside the box.

I’d definitely agree regarding Wighton having other qualities and I get what you’re saying regarding both of their lack of appearances. But I’d still argue that they are both more proven as goal scorers at this level than O’Hara. They both scored 9 last season, when we only played 3/4 of a season. Barring one purple patch in 19/20, O’Hara hasn’t scored regularly. He had a purple patch of 8 goals in 8 games that year, but hasn’t produced that sort of form before that or since. I’d personally have him down as the least proven of the 3 strikers. However, I do believe that both Wighton and Todorov should be capable of a decent partnership with O’Hara - Wighton and O’Hara had a very good spell together late last season actually.

Todorov hasn’t impressed me as a target man. For someone his size, he gets bullied a lot and doesn’t have much strength. He seems to be better with his feet than his head, but he just hasn’t fitted in here regardless of the role he’s been asked to play. Hopefully the new manager can get the best out of him.

I’m a big fan of Wighton’s overall game. He reads the game better than most and is capable of some brilliance. However, he has been very out of form lately and needs some confidence.

As I say, your analysis is generally very good and I wasn’t really criticising at all. Just trying to put forward a different perspective. In my opinion all of our strikers should be capable of scoring goals. I think just about every other position needs strengthening before the strikers - although, I wouldn’t be against adding more strength/depth to that position if the right player was available.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I've no idea if I've already asked this but could MacDonald play right midfield? His crossing is fucking delightful.

Almost all the goals in out 2 home league cup games came from his crossing, then bizarrely he was locked in a cupboard under the stairs for 4 months. Yeah I think he could play there. Can't be any less effective than Dow or Kennedy just now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah we took off Thomas and then realised we didn’t have anyone who could cross from the right so they had to bring on a full back. Incompetence.

What would be worse; finishing 10th or getting relegated in the play-offs by Falkirk or Petrie’s Montrose?

Edited by Cardle is Magic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

McDonald had a good cameo, got past the full back a couple of times and it was his good cross that lead to Wighton forcing a good save. 

 

If he was left footed I'd have him straight in over Edwards, who is by far and away our worst guaranteed starter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

What would be worse; finishing 10th or getting relegated in the play-offs by Falkirk or Petrie’s Montrose?

Given Falkirk are looking, well, shaky at best, that’s the winner for now. Losing to Petrie and Montrose would be a lovely up yours to the board, while finishing 10th would be a massive achievement with Morton and Queens in the running. I’m surprised anyone thinks the new manager will be announced sooner than next week, because the Board surely realize the last go was an absolute fuckup and they need this “search” to look competent. If they spend less than three weeks interviewing and vetting, I’ll be amazed…and they’ll be absolutely roasted if the choice isn’t universally hailed. Despite the urgent need to get someone in to try to right the ship, they really have to get this one right, not right now…so it’s likely going to be either a hard wait for Pars fans or serious frustration when they balls it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

McDonald had a good cameo, got past the full back a couple of times and it was his good cross that lead to Wighton forcing a good save. 

 

If he was left footed I'd have him straight in over Edwards, who is by far and away our worst guaranteed starter. 

Have zero memory of Wighton forcing the keeper into a save which thankfully suggests I’m going senile and won’t have to worry about the Pars much longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Given Falkirk are looking, well, shaky at best, that’s the winner for now. Losing to Petrie and Montrose would be a lovely up yours to the board, while finishing 10th would be a massive achievement with Morton and Queens in the running. I’m surprised anyone thinks the new manager will be announced sooner than next week, because the Board surely realize the last go was an absolute fuckup and they need this “search” to look competent. If they spend less than three weeks interviewing and vetting, I’ll be amazed…and they’ll be absolutely roasted if the choice isn’t universally hailed. Despite the urgent need to get someone in to try to right the ship, they really have to get this one right, not right now…so it’s likely going to be either a hard wait for Pars fans or serious frustration when they balls it up.

If the club weren’t considering other options from back at the Queens’ defeat then they’re clueless.

It’s been 8 days since they sacked him but surely the knew a replacement was likely going to be needed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the club weren’t considering other options from back at the Queens’ defeat then they’re clueless.
It’s been 8 days since they sacked him but surely the knew a replacement was likely going to be needed?


They’ll have told Grant he needs X amount of points in a certain time after that QoS game. To not work in the background on sourcing potential replacements should X amount of points not be achieved after telling Grant that, would be, quite simply, fucking idiotic. They cannot be that stupid. I really hope they’ll have had this all lined up and ready to go with the shortlisting, interviews etc in a good timescale to get the new man in place as close to Grant being sacked as possible.

We usually announce stuff on a Tuesday, so fingers crossed it is Robertson and he is unveiled tomorrow. They cannot be so stupid, again, as to appoint another idiot and/or rookie.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DAFC. said:

 


They’ll have told Grant he needs X amount of points in a certain time after that QoS game. To not work in the background on sourcing potential replacements should X amount of points not be achieved after telling Grant that, would be, quite simply, fucking idiotic. They cannot be that stupid. I really hope they’ll have had this all lined up and ready to go with the shortlisting, interviews etc in a good timescale to get the new man in place as close to Grant being sacked as possible.

We usually announce stuff on a Tuesday, so fingers crossed it is Robertson and he is unveiled tomorrow. They cannot be so stupid, again, as to appoint another idiot and/or rookie.

 

We’ll see, but the appearance so far is that they are perfectly capable of being that idiotic/stupid. I highly doubt they did anything serious about seeking a replacement until Grant reached a point where he could not make the assigned goal. To do so before that smacks of a lack of belief in a manager you have just given a demand to, and is likely to undermine your position with any manager candidates. You could certainly gin up a list of potential targets, but reaching out would potential result in a Pyrrhic victory at most, as any reputable candidate would surely be turned off by such behavior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think that's where he was put when he was brought on at the weekend?

It got utter desperate when we brought McDonald on. It was a case of chucking another sub on (who, as others have said, incidentally did quite well) and hoping that the fresh legs would work in our favour. We lost all shape and cohesion by that stage on Saturday.

Not sure what Dow’s role was on Saturday. He was a bit of a lost puppy the entire game, just hanging around the final third but not actually offering or doing anything.

I actually thought Breen did very well, particularly in the first half, he kept Ugwu out of the game effectively but, much like everyone else, seemed to crumble in the second half.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...