Walking Down The Halbeath Road

There's no danger Kenny Miller will be appointed. 

I know we've been absolutely fucking terrible this season but there'll be a few teams in that bottom half that must be sh1tting themselves that we might somehow win a game. They must all be looking at our results every week praying that we get beat. If we manage to win a game or even 2 then it's all up in the air. It can all turn around quite quickly.

Just get a half decent manager on board. Soon.

Went to watch on Saturday more out of morbid curiosity than anything else. Thought the young boy Breen stood up to Ugwu really well for 21 and there's certainly potential in him to be a strong centre half at this level. I always thought Connelly was a solid centre half at the bottom end of the premiership but looked poor on Saturday.

I think Dunfermline need to get this appointment right as they now look in real trouble. Morton were poor, but left with 3 points and 3 goals. They didn't create a huge amount but they were just solid and the Pars struggled every time a cross went in the box and I am unsure if at any point they won the second ball. Also Pars fans, what up with this trying to play as many wingers as possible. Kennedy, Thomas, Dow & O'Hara all shoehorned in. 

Possibly a question for the likes of @craigkillie but what is longest winless run to start a season from a team who has then gone on to stay up in this league?

I still think Dunfermline will be safe, there is enough about that squad to stay out of trouble reasonably comfortably by the end of the season with a competent manager but there can’t be many teams who have stayed up after going the first 13 games without a win.

Even the Raith Rovers team of kids and French duds who had never played 11 aside football assembled by Claude Anelka didn’t take that long to get a win FFS.

Edited by R.R.FC

27 minutes ago, WestHibee said:

Went to watch on Saturday more out of morbid curiosity than anything else. Thought the young boy Breen stood up to Ugwu really well for 21 and there's certainly potential in him to be a strong centre half at this level. I always thought Connelly was a solid centre half at the bottom end of the premiership but looked poor on Saturday.

I think Dunfermline need to get this appointment right as they now look in real trouble. Morton were poor, but left with 3 points and 3 goals. They didn't create a huge amount but they were just solid and the Pars struggled every time a cross went in the box and I am unsure if at any point they won the second ball. Also Pars fans, what up with this trying to play as many wingers as possible. Kennedy, Thomas, Dow & O'Hara all shoehorned in. 

O’Hara is not a winger.

I thought on Sat they were playing a 4-2-3-1 with Dow, Kennedy and Thomas playing behind O’Hara.

Why you’d play that team and smash long balls forward is a question for the great thinkers of our game.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

O’Hara is not a winger.

I thought on Sat they were playing a 4-2-3-1 with Dow, Kennedy and Thomas playing behind O’Hara.

Why you’d play that team and smash long balls forward is a question for the great thinkers of our game.

I wouldn't say O'Hara is striker either.... can drop off a sticker and play in the hole but he's no exactly going to hold up the ball. Especially the balls Connelly was playing 

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Possibly a question for the likes of @craigkillie but what is longest winless run to start a season from a team who has then gone on to stay up in this league?

I still think Dunfermline will be safe, there is enough about that squad to stay out of trouble reasonably comfortably by the end of the season with a competent manager but there can’t be many teams who have stayed up after going the first 13 games without a win.

Even the Raith Rovers team of kids and French duds who had never played 11 aside football assembled by Claude Anelka didn’t take that long to get a win FFS.

St Mirren took 15 games to record their first win in 2016/2017, and had only 4 points at this stage of the season. In fact they had only 4 points going into December

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
stupid typo

I still think Dunfermline will be safe, there is enough about that squad to stay out of trouble reasonably comfortably by the end of the season

Can people please stop with this nonsense? 13 games into the season and we haven’t won a game - not through luck, but due to being horrendous at football. 11 good individuals don’t always make a good team. We have individual quality, nobody has questioned that. But it’s hard to see any style of play that would work for this ‘team’ the defence is suited to long balls. The strikers are not suited to long balls at all, our central midfield options are either not very good or unproven (in the case of Allan) at this level.

Our best creative players (Kennedy and Thomas) need us to play a quick attacking game, where they’re running at defenders. But we either punt it up the park or play a really slow passing game. Honestly, it’s hard to see a way that these players come together and find a way of playing that works right now. We have a group of decent individuals, not a team. It’s a recipe for disaster. Grant just signed anyone who he thought was good, with no idea how they would fit into any sort of formation/style of play.

25 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Not when he held off 14 of your players at once in front of the Norrie a few years back at the end of a 1-0 win. Legendary.

His season of sluggish water carrying for us was far less legendary.

Not when he held off 14 of your players at once in front of the Norrie a few years back at the end of a 1-0 win. Legendary.

Legendary for holding a couple players back in the corner?

Quite a fall from grace that he’s now jobbing about for Stenhousemuir at the mere age of 30.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

I know we've been absolutely fucking terrible this season but there'll be a few teams in that bottom half that must be sh1tting themselves that we might somehow win a game. They must all be looking at our results every week praying that we get beat. If we manage to win a game or even 2 then it's all up in the air. It can all turn around quite quickly.

Just get a half decent manager on board. Soon.

Given that you just got turned over by the second worst outfit in the league on your own midden, I doubt anyone will be 'shiting themselves' at all about your trips to play the top (competent) half of the division. 

You've literally just cut yourselves adrift. 

19 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Can people please stop with this nonsense? 13 games into the season and we haven’t won a game - not through luck, but due to being horrendous at football. 11 good individuals don’t always make a good team. We have individual quality, nobody has questioned that. But it’s hard to see any style of play that would work for this ‘team’ the defence is suited to long balls. The strikers are not suited to long balls at all, our central midfield options are either not very good or unproven (in the case of Allan) at this level.

Our best creative players (Kennedy and Thomas) need us to play a quick attacking game, where they’re running at defenders. But we either punt it up the park or play a really slow passing game. Honestly, it’s hard to see a way that these players come together and find a way of playing that works right now. We have a group of decent individuals, not a team. It’s a recipe for disaster. Grant just signed anyone who he thought was good, with no idea how they would fit into any sort of formation/style of play.

I certainly didn’t say you were unlucky to be where you are. You’ve been absolutely awful and clearly the worst side in the league so far. However, there are still 4 sides above you in easily catchable distance.

Surely a good manager moulds a group of 11 good individuals into a competent team at this level and certainly not one that goes 13 without a win. It’s hardly a stretch to say if you gave John Robertson (for example) this exact squad, as unbalanced as it may be, at the start of the season you may have mustered up 6 points more than you have under Grant/Shields/Whittaker. With that you would be 6th so you’re hardly marooned to the bottom despite your dreadful form.

A competent manager who can instil some confidence in the players (maybe by the plate-full) and get them organised it’s hard to imagine you not having enough to get to safety.

That’s without taking into account you will have a substantially bigger budget than every side around you at the bottom of the table in January to make some changes. Granted January is a difficult window and you may have to limp along till then but I would still be very surprised if Dunfermline were relegated if they get this managerial appointment correct.

Personally don’t really care if you stay up or don’t but I just think there’s enough for a new manager to work with that you’re clearly not doomed.

I certainly didn’t say you were unlucky to be where you are. You’ve been absolutely awful and clearly the worst side in the league so far. However, there are still 4 sides above you in easily catchable distance.
Surely a good manager moulds a group of 11 good individuals into a competent team at this level and certainly not one that goes 13 without a win. It’s hardly a stretch to say if you gave John Robertson (for example) this exact squad, as unbalanced as it may be, at the start of the season you may have mustered up 6 points more than you have under Grant/Shields/Whittaker. With that you would be 6th so you’re hardly marooned to the bottom despite your dreadful form.
A competent manager who can instil some confidence in the players (maybe by the plate-full) and get them organised it’s hard to imagine you not having enough to get to safety.
That’s without taking into account you will have a substantially bigger budget than every side around you at the bottom of the table in January to make some changes. Granted January is a difficult window and you may have to limp along till then but I would still be very surprised if Dunfermline were relegated if they get this managerial appointment correct.
Personally don’t really care if you stay up or don’t but I just think there’s enough for a new manager to work with that you’re clearly not doomed.

As has been mentioned though, to finish 8th you generally need 40 points. That means we need 33 from our remaining 23 games. That’s a tough task for anyone at this level. To be comfortably safe (as you and others have mentioned), we’d need at least 50 points, which would mean 43 points from the remaining 23 games. Only 2 teams (Killie and Inverness) have bettered the ppg total that we would need for that, so far. It’s just not even a reasonable suggestion.

There is absolutely no chance that we will be comfortable at any point this season, due to what has happened and the squad that we have. That’s the point I quoted and questioned. I’m not arguing that literally any other manager could have got us more points than Grant did. I genuinely believe that they would. I just can’t agree with anyone who thinks, from where we are now, we will be comfortably safe. It’s very very unlikely we will finish above 9th and that is in no way comfortably safe, given it would result in a play off. That’s the reality of the situation.

At the risk of over-simplifying things, I feel the need to point out that being bottom of a 10 team league means that at least 4 teams above you are getting points each week. In the championship, those clubs near the bottom do pick up points and anyone can beat anyone. That makes climbing the league a lot tougher than you’re making out.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

A lot of people seem to think we'll be safe. I honestly just don't see it. MAYBE get 9th at a push, but there has to be massive changes for that. The squad is not good enough. There's too many luxury players not equipped for what's ahead. I honestly think we are fucked. CallumPar makes good points above. Generally 6th-10th are really poor but take points off teams above them from time to time. We can't even beat teams 6th-9th at home. We are in a bad state. Unless we go on a mad winning run all of a sudden, I think we are seriously fucked. Whoever comes in and if they manage to keep us up, they are automatically a legend in my eyes. It's seriously that bad.