Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Good of Allan "Biscuits" Preston to come onto P and B to big up his brother in law John "Yogi" Hughes. Makes a change from him trying to sell players he represents when he's on Sportsound.

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

Good of Allan "Biscuits" Preston to come onto P and B to big up his brother in law John "Yogi" Hughes. Makes a change from him trying to sell players he represents when he's on Sportsound.

Might be worth confirming whether "Yogi" has ever won the Scottish Cup though as I'm not sure if that point's been addressed.

13 hours ago, darry111 said:

Yogi won the Scottish Cup in 2015 beating Celtic on the way and would have probably won the League Cup the year before if there was better refereeing (Foran brought down in the box v the sheep shee!!gers) 

Genuine good luck to Pars and Robbo but derbies against  Kelty may beckon.

He also signed Nat fucking Wedderburn and put him straight into the starting 11 for the Europa League Qualifiers.

That should have been enough to never get another job in football again.

He also signed Nat fucking Wedderburn and put him straight into the starting 11 for the Europa League Qualifiers.
Enough of the Nat Wedderburn slander, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Enough of the Nat Wedderburn slander, thanks.

I have nothing against him but he has never been anything more than an average championship player. So to sign him after finishing third and winning the Scottish cup, in case you hadn’t been told that recently, and getting straight into the starting 11 was absolute madness.

Saturday was strange. First half was ok, I thought. There were spells we looked quite good and you could see what they were trying to do and they did it well. Second half, particularly once we conceded the 2nd, was just awful. We fell apart and Morton deserved their win.

If that had been the first game of the season, under a new manager, I might not have been so negative based on the flashes of good play that we had. However, we’re desperate for a win and never looked like winning that game. The interim managers should have prioritised winning and set the players up for a battle, not trying to play pretty football and hoping for a result. 13th game of the season and we have no identity.

We have so many individuals that are good enough, but I don’t see any kind of system that would work as a team. Breen looked alright and should keep that position. He looked fairly good defensively and should get better as he plays more. But our defenders are not suited to playing it out from the back. We seemed to have a plan in place for certain runs to be made to free up certain players (both full backs, Todd and Dow) but the defenders still couldn’t spot any of these runs or any teammates in space. It was quite concerning. Connolly was dreadful, but I can’t see Vytas being better at that sort of thing. Allan and Todd looked ok, but if they don’t have defenders that can play it out from the back, they’re not really a partnership that will cope at this level. I thought it was the first time Todd looked like a fairly decent midfielder at this level. He deserved his goal.

A lot of things broke down once we got it to Dow/Thomas/Kennedy. Dow was awful, he just isn’t the player he was pre-injury. But we have zero cover/replacements for anyone in those roles, if we stick with the 4-2-3-1. Thomas and Kennedy looked lively, but kept choosing the wrong options (trying to beat 1 man too many, shooting rather than passing, passing to a man surrounded by defenders, rather than a man in space).

O’Hara was too static and we’d be better with someone who could come deep to help out and/or create space for Dow/Kennedy/Thomas to make that run in behind. Wighton seems off the pace though and Todorov just doesn’t fit into this team at all. Our goal came from the defenders being drawn to O’Hara and out of the centre of the box and Todd running into that space. But we didn’t see movement like that often enough. That’s not just coaching. Players in attacking roles should see that kind of space and make these runs without needing to be told. Likewise, O’Hara should notice that both CBs are following him and make runs into the channel or come deep more often, creating space in the box. Then he has to trust his teammates to make those runs.

Early in the season I’d probably be saying “they can work on that in training and it’ll get better”, but these guys have been given the task of trying to get a win/wins now, before a new manager is appointed. Wasting time trying to play pretty football and setting up a system/style that can take weeks to get right is not what’s required now. Setting up a team to win is all that matters now.

There's no danger Kenny Miller will be appointed. 

I know we've been absolutely fucking terrible this season but there'll be a few teams in that bottom half that must be sh1tting themselves that we might somehow win a game. They must all be looking at our results every week praying that we get beat. If we manage to win a game or even 2 then it's all up in the air. It can all turn around quite quickly.

Just get a half decent manager on board. Soon.

Went to watch on Saturday more out of morbid curiosity than anything else. Thought the young boy Breen stood up to Ugwu really well for 21 and there's certainly potential in him to be a strong centre half at this level. I always thought Connelly was a solid centre half at the bottom end of the premiership but looked poor on Saturday.

I think Dunfermline need to get this appointment right as they now look in real trouble. Morton were poor, but left with 3 points and 3 goals. They didn't create a huge amount but they were just solid and the Pars struggled every time a cross went in the box and I am unsure if at any point they won the second ball. Also Pars fans, what up with this trying to play as many wingers as possible. Kennedy, Thomas, Dow & O'Hara all shoehorned in. 

Possibly a question for the likes of @craigkillie but what is longest winless run to start a season from a team who has then gone on to stay up in this league?

I still think Dunfermline will be safe, there is enough about that squad to stay out of trouble reasonably comfortably by the end of the season with a competent manager but there can’t be many teams who have stayed up after going the first 13 games without a win.

Even the Raith Rovers team of kids and French duds who had never played 11 aside football assembled by Claude Anelka didn’t take that long to get a win FFS.

Edited by R.R.FC

27 minutes ago, WestHibee said:

Went to watch on Saturday more out of morbid curiosity than anything else. Thought the young boy Breen stood up to Ugwu really well for 21 and there's certainly potential in him to be a strong centre half at this level. I always thought Connelly was a solid centre half at the bottom end of the premiership but looked poor on Saturday.

I think Dunfermline need to get this appointment right as they now look in real trouble. Morton were poor, but left with 3 points and 3 goals. They didn't create a huge amount but they were just solid and the Pars struggled every time a cross went in the box and I am unsure if at any point they won the second ball. Also Pars fans, what up with this trying to play as many wingers as possible. Kennedy, Thomas, Dow & O'Hara all shoehorned in. 

O’Hara is not a winger.

I thought on Sat they were playing a 4-2-3-1 with Dow, Kennedy and Thomas playing behind O’Hara.

Why you’d play that team and smash long balls forward is a question for the great thinkers of our game.

Edited by Cardle is Magic