Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Usually I’d think that focusing on one player is harsh, but not with Graham. Why leave a youngster there, when he’s costing us a goal (or two) per game?

Partick away in the cup, first goal he watched the man run off Watson and didn’t do anything. Second goal, his man ran to the front post and he just watched.

Dumbarton goal, he played a great pass to the Dumbarton player in space, with no Pars players in sight. Good assist.

Morton game he got bullied all game and look d like a complete liability. First goal, he completely lost track of the ball, turned his back to it and it hit off his head, for Ugwu to run onto. Mehmet ended up charging into him, once Ugwu had knocked the ball past him. Second goal, aimless punt into the box was going out for a goal kick. Graham decides to leap up and head it into the air, to keep it in play and they score from it.

Game on Saturday, from memory at least one of the corners they scored from came from Graham losing concentration and getting caught on the break. Then there’s the own goal, where he gets his body positioning/attempt to kick the ball all wrong. Swipes with his right foot, misses the ball and it hits off his left leg and goes in.

He’s far from the only one who’s been poor, but he’s consistently been our weakest link defensively and has been an easy source of goals for the opposition.

is he better? remains to be seen although its amazing how much better a player gets when they dont play. the one thing he definitely isnt is left sided which is what Grant wants which is why Graham was signed and also why Breen was brought in, it is up to Breen to earn the spot now. 

can get this pish about "our" players binned too. 

1 hour ago, Gigi Alabocheré said:

When we are in possession, there’s no where near enough options and movement from our players, along with fucking numerous passes straight to the opposition! We are so slow to get the ball moving, it’s just really, really shite. 

and it is slow because there is no movement, its been like that since half time against Stenny for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Gigi Alabocheré said:

and he’s brought Breen in. Why not give one of them a shot? If it’s cos they can’t play LCB then change the formation ffs. The team is massively unbalanced and the formation does not suit us.

Breen spent the whole of his time with us playing left centre back and was absolutely fine, fairly comfortably our best defender. Gave away a daft last minute penalty that got Hearts a draw at Palmerston but no other especially obvious errors.

When we are in possession, there’s no where near enough options and movement from our players, along with fucking numerous passes straight to the opposition! We are so slow to get the ball moving, it’s just really, really shite. 
I don’t even think the players knew what the game plan was. PG talking about winning the league and playing the right way? Holy fucking hell. Under 19’s play better football.

Agree with your post, 100%. But wanted to focus in on this point. There are basics that we are getting totally wrong and it seems to come from the management’s instructions. When the CBs have the ball, the wing backs push right up, to be in line with the strikers. Now, everyone has seen us play and knows the plan. So everyone now has a deep defensive line, so we can’t get in behind them. What happens is someone (usually a midfielder) has to come back to get the ball. They get the ball with their back to goal, defender is close to them, so they can only play it backwards. If it can get played to a wing back, again, they get it with their back to goal and defender(s) are closing them down, so they can only move/play it backwards. Nobody is making runs so that they can be running forward with the ball, or run at defenders. You don’t want everyone to be moving/facing back to our own goal whenever they get the ball. Big part of that issue is the wing backs bombing forward to play with the strikers, even when it’s the keeper/another defender that has the ball, back in our own 18 yard box. It’s just stupidity.

PG talks a good game and you’d think he was some sort of footballing professor. In reality, he seems clueless. Grand ideas, but doesn’t understand the game well enough to realise how unrealistic/flawed his plan is.

He goes on about wanting players on the bench who let him change things. Then he brings in Wighton for Thomas and plays him in a number 10 role, where Thomas had been playing, despite the fact our tactics weren’t working. Then waited until the game was buried and we were 3-0 down to actually change the system. I’m all for giving him a chance and think he deserves time. But if there’s more games like that and he continues to show such naivety, I’m not sure he deserves time to prove himself.

Didn't realise Rangers are playing in Europe tomorrow night before playing us on Friday. Here's hoping it goes to extra time and they then rest some of the big guns because it could be a pasting. The only good thing about this tie is the share of the gate which could potentially be a sell out in terms of the home crowd.

OFW

Comrie, Watston, Vytas, Breen, Edwards

Cole, Dorrans, Pybus

Wighton, Toddy

I'd go for this team. I don't think OFW is necessarily better than Mehmet but Saturday was bad, really bad. Harsh on MacDonald but Comrie is a better fullback/wing back than he is a centre half so has to go back to a more familiar position. Graham shouldn't be in the 18 so I'd bring in Vytas and Breen to add some physicality. I've not seen much of Pybus but I'd start him for legs and energy in the middle. Play two up with Wighton and Toddy, I watched Livi play Rangers last weekend with Bruce Anderson as the lone striker and I don't think he touched the ball, completely isolated. I like O'Hara but I think we should be a bit more physical and out of the three strikers, Wighton and Toddy both had better games on Saturday. Hurts to say this but after Saturday, Rangers -5 is a safe bet.

1 hour ago, The Great Cornholio said:

is he better? remains to be seen although its amazing how much better a player gets when they dont play. the one thing he definitely isnt is left sided which is what Grant wants which is why Graham was signed and also why Breen was brought in, it is up to Breen to earn the spot now. 

I get grant wants a left footed center back. But he really should check they are a competent footballer first.

If Grant has somehow signed players worse than Graham he needs to immediately resign.

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Partick Thistle just pumped us so I really don’t see what difference it will make what team Rangers have out on Friday.

I think they win even if you gave us a 3-0 head start.

If Morelos & Kent play we might lose 10 nil, if they don't we might only lose 5 nil. I don't actually expect us to win, just that the pasting might not be as big.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Agree with your post, 100%. But wanted to focus in on this point. There are basics that we are getting totally wrong and it seems to come from the management’s instructions. When the CBs have the ball, the wing backs push right up, to be in line with the strikers. Now, everyone has seen us play and knows the plan. So everyone now has a deep defensive line, so we can’t get in behind them. What happens is someone (usually a midfielder) has to come back to get the ball. They get the ball with their back to goal, defender is close to them, so they can only play it backwards. If it can get played to a wing back, again, they get it with their back to goal and defender(s) are closing them down, so they can only move/play it backwards. Nobody is making runs so that they can be running forward with the ball, or run at defenders. You don’t want everyone to be moving/facing back to our own goal whenever they get the ball. Big part of that issue is the wing backs bombing forward to play with the strikers, even when it’s the keeper/another defender that has the ball, back in our own 18 yard box. It’s just stupidity.

PG talks a good game and you’d think he was some sort of footballing professor. In reality, he seems clueless. Grand ideas, but doesn’t understand the game well enough to realise how unrealistic/flawed his plan is.

He goes on about wanting players on the bench who let him change things. Then he brings in Wighton for Thomas and plays him in a number 10 role, where Thomas had been playing, despite the fact our tactics weren’t working. Then waited until the game was buried and we were 3-0 down to actually change the system. I’m all for giving him a chance and think he deserves time. But if there’s more games like that and he continues to show such naivety, I’m not sure he deserves time to prove himself.

Your first paragraph is bang on the money. The CM dropping to get the ball and just bouncing it back into a tight space meaning the WB has no choice but to lump it or go backwards. CM’s should be receiving the ball on the half turn and looking to open it out, instead they’re standing faciNg our gas square on with no where to go. They just hid after this happened a few times. It honestly looked like any time we had the ball there was only ever one player looking to receive a pass. 

For that formation to work we need a box to box midfielder and a ball winner, someone willing to break up the play and do the dirty work. Cole and Dorrans are neither. Teams also screaming out for a leader on the park. Dom Thomas isn’t the answer, he needs kept out wide as well. Loses the ball centrally too much causing major problems. The thing is he’s signed that many attacking players he’s trying to shoe horn them into the team. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Breen spent the whole of his time with us playing left centre back and was absolutely fine, fairly comfortably our best defender. Gave away a daft last minute penalty that got Hearts a draw at Palmerston but no other especially obvious errors.

Cheers. Don’t know what much about him but has got to be better than Ross Graham. If Peter Grant persists with him and Mehmet I can see his tenure being extremely short. 

1 hour ago, JFPar said:

Didn't realise Rangers are playing in Europe tomorrow night before playing us on Friday. Here's hoping it goes to extra time and they then rest some of the big guns because it could be a pasting. The only good thing about this tie is the share of the gate which could potentially be a sell out in terms of the home crowd.

OFW

Comrie, Watston, Vytas, Breen, Edwards

Cole, Dorrans, Pybus

Wighton, Toddy

I'd go for this team. I don't think OFW is necessarily better than Mehmet but Saturday was bad, really bad. Harsh on MacDonald but Comrie is a better fullback/wing back than he is a centre half so has to go back to a more familiar position. Graham shouldn't be in the 18 so I'd bring in Vytas and Breen to add some physicality. I've not seen much of Pybus but I'd start him for legs and energy in the middle. Play two up with Wighton and Toddy, I watched Livi play Rangers last weekend with Bruce Anderson as the lone striker and I don't think he touched the ball, completely isolated. I like O'Hara but I think we should be a bit more physical and out of the three strikers, Wighton and Toddy both had better games on Saturday. Hurts to say this but after Saturday, Rangers -5 is a safe bet.

Sticking with 5 at the back is bold like

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Sticking with 5 at the back is bold like

We're playing Rangers at Ibrox, I'm not a massive fan of 5 at the back but going away from home to play against the best team and champions of Scotland is probably where 5 is most suited. If we play 5 at the back at Starks next week I'd be disappointed. 

56 minutes ago, JFPar said:

We're playing Rangers at Ibrox, I'm not a massive fan of 5 at the back but going away from home to play against the best team and champions of Scotland is probably where 5 is most suited. If we play 5 at the back at Starks next week I'd be disappointed. 

I would get back to a back 4 and stack the defence and play one up top to give the strikers a rest.

Rangers have a squad of 25+ players they can rotate and all are capable of being challengers for titles and trophies. We are in for an extremely difficult and long evening on Friday.