Walking Down The Halbeath Road

10 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Against a team who have been in the Champions league group stages twice since 2013 and won the Czech championship 5 times. Must be half decent to get a European spot out the Czech league.

McManus was let down by our negative tactics last year. Playing as a lone strikers was clearly not suited to him. He needs the ball played in front of him , not his back to goal.

In his first spell when he played alongside Nicky Clark, this was exactly how he played. Thought he was terrific at the time. You're right, last season he was used completely wrong.

Are Welsh teams better than we think?  Or do TNS have a wealthy backer?

Sure I saw somewhere that the £50k fee for McManus was a league record. More than likely just a very good setup, with good coaching/management. Also worth noting that this is the new conference league, rather than the standard we’re used to seeing in Europa League qualifiers. Plzen finished 5th in the Czech league last season, so maybe aren’t what they used to be (for the Europa league, they would have had to finish top 3).

7 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Sure I saw somewhere that the £50k fee for McManus was a league record. More than likely just a very good setup, with good coaching/management. Also worth noting that this is the new conference league, rather than the standard we’re used to seeing in Europa League qualifiers. Plzen finished 5th in the Czech league last season, so maybe aren’t what they used to be (for the Europa league, they would have had to finish top 3).

Aye that's true, the majority of teams in the EC will have finished mid table in their league.

Dow would thrive in a possession based team. Wilson alongside Dorrans would complement each other and Lewis Martin would be an excellent option at left wing back. Think these guys returning could make all the difference.

Agree with parsforlife and Rob that Martin might find himself on the left of the three centre halves. He’s do well to replace Edwards, especially as Edwards is naturally left footed and though his deliveries are still a bit inconsistent, they have improved so much and is capable of putting in very dangerous crosses.

If Grant wants 2 of the 3 centre halves to carry the ball into the midfield and offer something for the wingbacks then Martin could suit that role well.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Are Welsh teams better than we think?  Or do TNS have a wealthy backer?

TNS didn’t even win the Welsh Premier last season. For some reason they’ve had a couple of great results so far in Europe this season, but as we’ve seen in the Challenge Cup in past seasons, neither them or last year’s Welsh champions Connahs Quay are up to much.

Maybe Declan McManus is actually fucking brilliant and is carrying them to the Conference League group stages. But I’d say more likely they’re just having a surprising season in Europe with a couple of freak results.

38 minutes ago, JFPar said:

When did Lewis Martin last appear in a Pars shirt? Alan Temple has said PG is happy with the squad but not ruling out anyone else coming in, sounds a bit ;-). Could we see the pen GIF today?

the Partick away game before the first lockdown.

it sounds pretty standard really with the window open for another 3 weeks, get a long term injury they will try and replace them and if someone far too good to turn down is offered they will do it but i wouldnt be expecting one today

3 hours ago, JFPar said:

When did Lewis Martin last appear in a Pars shirt? Alan Temple has said PG is happy with the squad but not ruling out anyone else coming in, sounds a bit ;-). Could we see the pen GIF today?

I think that’s basically him saying he’d be happy with the squad if no one else came in but not ruling out another addition if a deal became available Pars couldn’t turn down.

Well, where do we start with the changes required.

The set-up is a shambles. Surely Grant will bin the back three for a start. I think we can make a good back 4 out of what we have. Problem is that he's signed shit load of centre halfs with 3 at the back in his mind.

The biggest worry for me is the soft midfield and terrible choice of goalkeepers. Same problems as last year.  

I'm not sure what to do with the midfielders he's signed but maybe try 3 in the middle. I would actively look to sign a midfielder with some physicality before the window shuts. They all seem to be a bit soft.

Maybe try Todorov at a target man two attacking players to sit behind him. 4-3-2-1. 

It's been in the back of my mind that a shit show like today would happen with Grant's fantasy land vision. Hopefully that has now taken his head out the clouds. If he doesn't change it, then I can't see him lasting very long.

10 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Well, where do we start with the changes required.

It's been in the back of my mind that a shit show like today would happen with Grant's fantasy land vision. Hopefully that has now taken his head out the clouds. If he doesn't change it, then I can't see him lasting very long.

Changes already? The team, tactics and manager are pish after all 😵

As I said before I imagined it would take until Christmas before reality set in, but after two games ! 

😱

45 minutes ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

That was a disgrace of a performance, not a single positive can be taken from it

Summed it up pretty accurately 

I want to be positive and optimistic for the season ahead, but that was something else today. Dreadful performance and thought Grant was tactically poor, making changes 3-0 down with 5 mins to go just summed it all up.

Partick deserved the win but I don't think they really needed to do much, just hemmed us in and waited for us to make the mistakes. They probably won't get an easier 3 points this season. 

Would say that was the worst performance in a long time but its the worst since the 5-1 at Starks. Didnt top that. 

Genuinely appalling though, defence was just as laughable as that game at Starks. 

I have a positive....I was reminded what a stiffy Ryan Dow gives me. Gorgeous looking man. 

Edited by Stoo61