Parscelona

Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Petrie imo would be a decent appointment but i doubt he will leave part time football due to having a decent job outwith the game

I feel the board are going to keep Crawford and see how we get on next season, which means it will be another year of boring football and long Scottish cup run of 1 game

Edited by The Saline Hill Puma

Jim McIntyre: No full time managing experience, did a good job save for his last year 
John Potter: No full time experience, was absolutely atrocious 
Stephen Kenny: Full time experienced, dreadful
Davie Hay: Full time experience, abysmal
Jim Leishman: Full time experience, didn't work
Bert Paton: No full time experience as a number 1, tremendous
Dick Campbell: No full time experience as a number 1, didn't work
Jimmy Nicholl: Full time experience, didn't work
Jimmy Calderwood: Full time experience, very good

That's the point I was making, i.e. there's no guarantee that having experience of being a manager full time means they will be better than one who doesn't, just like there is no guarantee that a manager at a part time club will be a failure at a full time one or a success at one. 
Sorry, when did Jimmy Nicholl not work?

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Jim McIntyre: No full time managing experience, did a good job save for his last year 

That's the point I was making, i.e. there's no guarantee that having experience of being a manager full time means they will be better than one who doesn't, just like there is no guarantee that a manager at a part time club will be a failure at a full time one or a success at one. 

Sorry, when did Jimmy Nicholl not work?

1999, but having just checked it wasn't even a month, so unfair to have him here! I thought it was longer for some reason.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

With a few of those you're saying as having no full time experience, they'd been playing for, or been at a club which was full time, whereas with Petrie he's been in part time football for a decade, Kenny was part time at Derry was he not? 

It's not a guarantor of success, far from it. However Petries lack of experience managing at a full time level is a mark against him. 

1999, but having just checked it wasn't even a month, so unfair to have him here! I thought it was longer for some reason.
He was undefeated ffs! I remember a lot of shouts for him to get the job and I think he'd have done really well.

Nobody said that bringing someone from full time football was guaranteed to be better than anyone without full time experience. There is definitely an added risk with making your top target a man who has never coached/managed in full time football though.

I agree with your point, no appointment is guaranteed success and they all come with risk. But, as far as I can see, nobody ever said otherwise. I still think it would be incredibly naive to make Petrie a top candidate, or to have anyone in mind without opening up for applications and seeing who might want the job. If Petrie is deemed the top candidate after a recruitment process, I will 100% back that. But I disagree with the people who seem to believe he should be offered the job, based on what he has done with a part time club in league 1. This would be a very different task and without an application/interview, it’s impossible to know whether he would be particularly keen and, if he is, what his vision/ideas for the club would be. Some people thrive at managing underdogs and can’t cope with the pressure of managing a team who are expected to win most weeks. There are countless examples of this. However, there are many examples of managers who have made similar steps and thrived.

The main point I’ve tried to make is that it would be ridiculously naive to go out and try and headhunt Petrie, without knowing who else would be interested and/or may have better ideas/vision for the club. Every managerial appointment is a gamble. To appoint someone, or target a particular manager before a formal application/interview process makes the gamble even bigger. To do that for a manager with no experience at this level, or experience managing full time players, would be mental. We need to learn from the mistake of the Crawford appointment, not potentially repeat it.

Can open the job up to applicants whilst still having a number 1 target in mind.

Our German investors have the option to increase their shareholding to that of controlling interest over the next 12 months. They will therefore have a major influence on any decision. Our Board wont wish to do anything that jeopardises that investment. Our form over the last 5-6 months has been more akin to relegation threatened rather than winning promotion. Over that period we have delivered some of the most wretched performances I can remember in 5 decades of watching the Pars. That wont have gone un-noticed.

1 hour ago, Ayrpar said:

Our German investors have the option to increase their shareholding to that of controlling interest over the next 12 months. They will therefore have a major influence on any decision. Our Board wont wish to do anything that jeopardises that investment. Our form over the last 5-6 months has been more akin to relegation threatened rather than winning promotion. Over that period we have delivered some of the most wretched performances I can remember in 5 decades of watching the Pars. That wont have gone un-noticed.

You talk about the German investors and also our board, they are infact one and the same.

Once they take the majority shareholdings they can elect who they want and you would imagine they will instead of being vice chairman be chairman and Ross will either be asked to stay on as an ordinary board member or be dispensed with, but they are there and are a key part of the decision making structure.

Yes, I was aware that they had 2 (?)  members on the football board.

We're being linked with Euan Murray, how's he been? Would he handle the step up?

We're being linked with Euan Murray, how's he been? Would he handle the step up?
Probably not so much.

26 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Nope. Not good enough. 

Ray McKinnon is free lads

Now that’d be horrendous. Luckily our board aren’t that bad.

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

No

Please don't try to engage with me. You're a bit too confrontational.  

Oh yes you are!! 

2 hours ago, Axle Grease said:

Please don't try to engage with me. You're a bit too confrontational.  

Oh yes you are!! 

It's too late now