Parscelona

Walking Down The Halbeath Road

40 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

On an average, but had it been the Arbroath games switched it would have changed from 2 narrow home wins(which include a last minute winner and scrambling goal line clearances for the last 10 minutes in the other game) we could have lost the 3 points and goals to take us outside the playoffs.

I get the point you are trying to make but it is all a bit ‘if your auntie had baws’ IMO. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

I think he is genuinely the most pale man I have ever seen. Just thought I’d get that out there.

Anyway, it’s got to be Petrie. A quite remarkable job he has done at Montrose, which could still get better, and is obviously a club legend.

He did go through a major operation in late autumn last year and when, to be honest, he did return he didn't look too well for some time. As for Petrie? It might be worth having a punt on him but like almost every managerial appointment at all levels it's much like a lucky bag. Sometimes a pleasant surprise, sometimes just guff. You never really know what you have got until the appointment is made.

Edited by embow

7 minutes ago, embow said:

He did go through a major operation in late autumn last year and when, to be honest, he did return he didn't look too well for some time. As for Petrie? It might be worth having a punt on him but like almost every managerial appointment at all levels it's much like a lucky bag. Sometimes a pleasant surprise, sometimes just guff. You never really know what you have got until the appointment is made.

Well apart from when we got John back....😉

7 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Well apart from when we got John back....😉

😊👍

13 minutes ago, embow said:

The only thing about it is he hasn't got managerial experience at a full-time club, but really what difference would that make? He clearly knows how to get the best of a team and get results. He's done an absolutely fantastic job. His win percentage is 48%. That is fantastic. 

The club should do everything in their power to get him. It could be a watershed moment in our club's history given how much these investors are going to be putting in to it to get us back to the big time. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think that means he's constantly got 12 months on his contract.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:
1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

I think he is genuinely the most pale man I have ever seen. Just thought I’d get that out there.

Anyway, it’s got to be Petrie. A quite remarkable job he has done at Montrose, which could still get better, and is obviously a club legend.

Is Crawford's club legend status tarnished by his completely meh managerial stint?

Nah not really, I appreciate it hasn't been a fantastic stint as manager but likewise we're not talking Davie Hay, Stephen Kenny, John Potter levels of shite, Crawford will go down as a manager who wasn't great, wasn't terrible, and that's not nearly severe enough to tarnish his legendry status as a player. 

Fwiw I will be absolutely fucking seething at the board if they kick this decision down the road 6 months and wait until Crawford is getting pelters every week from the fans at games, he doesn't deserve that. He evidently does care a great amount about the club and that'd be awful to watch. It's pretty apparent now he isn't the man the fans want in charge, I'd rather we parted ways amicably now, than in a cauldron of seethe in a few months. 

3 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

The only thing about it is he hasn't got managerial experience at a full-time club, but really what difference would that make? 

Could make a massive one tbh, some managers seem to suit part time football, others almost seem to do better with less resources and pressure. 

Dick Campbell for example never seemed to fare well at full time sides, while John McGlynn is a good manager he done poorly at Hearts for example... Some managers just find there niche and make it work. Stephen Kenny is a manager who always seems to do well at "wee clubs" and everytime he steps upto a bigger club with more pressure to succeed everytime he crumbles. There's no science to it I suppose. 

Petrie to my knowledge hasn't managed or coached in a full time setup for years, and that will be different. 

Isn’t Petrie a gaffer in a bank or something, in his day job? Sure I read before his salary might be beyond us.

34 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

I get the point you are trying to make but it is all a bit ‘if your auntie had baws’ IMO. 

Not going to deny that tbf.    Regardless our away form clearly needs improving and it needs asked if Crawford is the man to do that.

I don’t think it was as extreme, but McIntyre was given stick for the difference between our home and away form(tho I think of might of actually been the other way round) In the season before promotion.  It can be done under the same manager.

Personally, I’d be happy to see how Petrie does, if he was given the job, but I’m not convinced we should be making him any sort of top target. He has no experience with a full time club and I think we need someone that has that experience, rather than taking such a gamble. A lot of managers are well suited to part time/smaller clubs and can’t cope with that step up. We can’t really afford to be sitting here in a year’s time, having not progressed from where we are.

If we don’t hear anything in the next few days, it’s probably safe to assume that Crawford is staying. If that happens, I don’t know how they’re going to market the season tickets for next year. I know a lot of season ticket holders who lost interest this year and may not renew, without any reason to believe that there will be improvements.

Experience of managing a full time club is no guarantee of anything. The risk/gamble is just as much as with a manager who hasn't managed at a full-time club before.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Experience of managing a full time club is no guarantee of anything. The risk/gamble is just as much as with a manager who hasn't managed at a full-time club before.

This.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed. Why should only part time experience be a problem - you'd think it would be the opposite; if Petrie can produce the goods on the pitch with a part time team you'd think he could do even better working with a full time squad.

Maybe, it's a risk I'd personally not like to see us take though. Yes, every appointment is but I'd hope we cast our net further than going after one man.

Open the role to any/all applicants & see who applies. There's a lot of good football people out of work just now. Despite what some people think, we are an attractive proposition. The set up is there, the fan base is there and there are investors on board. 

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

25 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

This.

24 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Agreed. Why should only part time experience be a problem - you'd think it would be the opposite; if Petrie can produce the goods on the pitch with a part time team you'd think he could do even better working with a full time squad.

That logic doesn't work, Dick Campbell has done a fantastic job at Arbroath was a part time manager, surely if he was manager of Man City or Celtic he'd absolutely skoosh it? 

It absolutely is a factor, as proven by managers that do well as part time managers but then don't produce the goods at full time level, likewise some managers have a preferred skillet and tactics that work well at certain levels, see AJ for a managers who's brand of football absolutely skooshes league 1, and doesn't do well at championship level. 

Every manager in every sector of any business has a ceiling, to say "Oh he's good at that low level, he must be amazing at a higher one" ie absolutely nonsense, you don't see Janet, 25 running her own business on Facebook getting touted as the next ceo of amazon do you? 

How about we advertise the job, see who applies, weigh up the pros and cons of them all and appoint the best one? 

It would also depend on what sort of footballing structure the board are after. Whether it be a manager or a DoF working in tandem with a head coach.

38 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That logic doesn't work, Dick Campbell has done a fantastic job at Arbroath was a part time manager, surely if he was manager of Man City or Celtic he'd absolutely skoosh it? 

It absolutely is a factor, as proven by managers that do well as part time managers but then don't produce the goods at full time level, likewise some managers have a preferred skillet and tactics that work well at certain levels, see AJ for a managers who's brand of football absolutely skooshes league 1, and doesn't do well at championship level. 

Every manager in every sector of any business has a ceiling, to say "Oh he's good at that low level, he must be amazing at a higher one" ie absolutely nonsense, you don't see Janet, 25 running her own business on Facebook getting touted as the next ceo of amazon do you? 

How about we advertise the job, see who applies, weigh up the pros and cons of them all and appoint the best one? 

Jim McIntyre: No full time managing experience, did a good job save for his last year 

John Potter: No full time experience, was absolutely atrocious 

Stephen Kenny: Full time experienced, dreadful

Davie Hay: Full time experience, abysmal

Jim Leishman: Full time experience, didn't work

Bert Paton: No full time experience as a number 1, tremendous

Dick Campbell: No full time experience as a number 1, didn't work

Jimmy Nicholl: Full time experience, didn't work

Jimmy Calderwood: Full time experience, very good

That's the point I was making, i.e. there's no guarantee that having experience of being a manager full time means they will be better than one who doesn't, just like there is no guarantee that a manager at a part time club will be a failure at a full time one or a success at one. 

Edited by DA Baracus