Walking Down The Halbeath Road

20 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Still the same chairman and that but.

Yeh but new vice chair and you would imagine if the Germans wanted him away asap they would complete their purchase.

I personally didn't see much point binning him with 5 games to go and don't see much point in doing so with 3 to go.

Just wondering if there is any inkling of a reason for the sudden downturn in form, other than simply placing it on Crawford. Was there a change of any sort, some inflection point of players or goals (for the season) that would explain the near collapse. I know the wobbles appeared post-Christmas, and then everything seems to go to shite in late March, but surely there is something there. You pumped us in early February to start a run of WLWLWLLLDDD, there has to be a reason, is it really as simple as Crawford choking?

There would be little to gain from sacking him with 3 games left. Who would take charge of the last 3 games? What if we made the playoffs? Announce it on Saturday 1st May, the day after our last game and open up applications. See who wants the job, don’t just pick someone and decide they’d be a good fit, if they want it.

This is the first real challenge the Germans will face and it’s crucial that they get this right. They can’t afford to waste a decent chunk of their investment on getting rid of Crawford and co, then another management game team a year down the line. As far as I’m concerned, they now have a couple of weeks to plan what course of action to take - for all we know, they may have already opened up a discussion around this.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Just wondering if there is any inkling of a reason for the sudden downturn in form, other than simply placing it on Crawford. Was there a change of any sort, some inflection point of players or goals (for the season) that would explain the near collapse. I know the wobbles appeared post-Christmas, and then everything seems to go to shite in late March, but surely there is something there. You pumped us in early February to start a run of WLWLWLLLDDD, there has to be a reason, is it really as simple as Crawford choking?

Crawford has to shoulder most of the blame but a few other issues with his playing squad notably Dow getting a long term injury and Turner taking the huff big style. Both players when on song were instrumental to our best XI and I don't think Stevie has much if any, idea what his best XI is now. Also think the number of loans and players that won't be here next season probably doesn't help when players need to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in.

5 minutes ago, Wardy said:

What actually happened with Kyle Turner? Spat the dummy out about not getting game time? So just punted to Airdrie on loan? 

I doubt anyone on here actually knows beyond that they had a falling out.

The manager could have been an unreasonable dick. Turner could have been an unreasonable dick. They both could have been. It could be somewhere in the middle.

It's all speculation.

Wobbles appeared post-November, not post-Christmas. As someone else alluded to above, we scored a lot of goals from set pieces in the first 5 games. We didn’t score as many in the next 19 and have ended up where we are. As I said above, we’ve failed to score in 9 of our last 15 games. 5 of our 11 goals in 2021 have come against Rovers, so this hasn’t been a sudden downturn in the last few weeks.

Over the course of the season, we’ve only scored from open play in 12 of our 24 games. Only scored more than one goal from open play in 5 of our 24 games. 2 of those 5 against Rovers! The early wins/goals from set pieces papered over the cracks for a few weeks, but it’s been a consistent theme that we are useless from open play.

Games against QoS at home and Dundee away, we scored 3 from set pieces and none from open play. Don’t get me wrong, that’s good as a one-off, but concerning when the goals from set pieces don’t happen and you can’t create anything from open play.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I doubt anyone on here actually knows beyond that they had a falling out.

The manager could have been an unreasonable dick. Turner could have been an unreasonable dick. They both could have been. It could be somewhere in the middle.

It's all speculation.

Just thought it was rather odd when I’d saw he went there on loan, after some decent reviews in a Pars strip. Would have liked him at Kirkcaldy after he left Stranraer as well. 

2 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Just thought it was rather odd when I’d saw he went there on loan, after some decent reviews in a Pars strip. Would have liked him at Kirkcaldy after he left Stranraer as well. 

Aye it definitely is and there's clearly been a falling out.

Quite a few on here instantly hit out with nonsense about him being massively overrated, won't be missed and was no loss when he went.

I doubt results would have been much different with him here, but I think we do miss him and think he was improving every year with us.

Think a Premiership mob will take a punt on Turner tbh. Hearts or some other bottom half guff.

I think Jim McIntyre could have done a job up until the end of the season if Crawford was punted earlier. In no way am I suggesting he should be our new manager long term, but Crawford was never up for the job. There is literally no basis for him being manager next season, even if we sleep-walk in to 4th place.

This has been a totally boring and inept period in our recent history. The money that would have been spent on wages and transfers the past few seasons certainly doesn’t justify a team that finishes in mid-table. Time and time again I am seeing success from teams that we should more than be matching: Hamilton, Livingston, St Johnstone and now Raith Rovers are leaving us in the dust.

The investors need to get someone in next season that is experienced and can get instant success. AJ’s sacking has just resulted in seasons of abject failure and we can’t afford anymore whilst teams we can rival leave us behind.

Do we think we have the muscle to get someone like Stewart Petrie who is under contract? Or will it be managers out of contract we reckon?

If Thistle can get McCall off Ayr and Falkirk can go get McKinnon off Morton then I'd fancy our chances of prising Petrie off Montrose's hands if he is our man.

And for the record, he's my number 1 choice.

13 hours ago, Wardy said:

What actually happened with Kyle Turner? Spat the dummy out about not getting game time? So just punted to Airdrie on loan? 

Apparently. 

Turner was offered a new contract, he didn't sign it saying he wanted to keep his options open with regards to getting to the prem, Crawford then totally removed the contract extension from the table rather than going for the usual line of "Good stuff but this deal might not always be available" sorta scenario that usually happens. And I'd imagine is happening with Regan Hendry at Raith. 

Very odd.