Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

So what actually happened with Turner? I've not read a clear account. As some of you have mentioned, you have a midfield made up of loanees. Turner, for me, was / is a real prospect, and I don't remember him being slaughtered for any catastrophes. Not saying he would have made a difference last night but it shone a light on a good non-loanee player being somewhere else, a la Vaughan at Dumbarton.

You’ll not get a clear account even if everyone involved at the club gave a full honest assessment of the situation.

The facts we know are he was offered a contract and refused it, which is a perfectly normal thing to happen and doesn’t result in the situation that occurred.  Rumours are he’s had offers to move on and spat the dummy big time when we didn’t let that happen.

You’ll not get a clear account even if everyone involved at the club gave a full honest assessment of the situation.
The facts we know are he was offered a contract and refused it, which is a perfectly normal thing to happen and doesn’t result in the situation that occurred.  Rumours are he’s had offers to move on and spat the dummy big time when we didn’t let that happen.
Was there any explanation from the club? Development? Your predicament has strong parallels with our Gary Fucking Locke version; good player inexplicably sent away, some debatable recruitment, too many short term deals for players with no attachment or commitment, a manager who didn't know what to do with the mess he made and an accelerating downhill slide . Your good start will see you safe but like Locke, Crawford's reputations as a player and as a manager are two very different things.

42 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Was there any explanation from the club? Development? Your predicament has strong parallels with our Gary Fucking Locke version; good player inexplicably sent away, some debatable recruitment, too many short term deals for players with no attachment or commitment, a manager who didn't know what to do with the mess he made and an accelerating downhill slide . Your good start will see you safe but like Locke, Crawford's reputations as a player and as a manager are two very different things.

Drawing futher parallels to that season, if they do decide to punt Crawford now I hear that John Hughes is available for a gig till the end of the season........

It might be a lazy comparison of our team now and Raith 16/17 but I cant stop thinking about it today, certainly has its similarities.

8 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

To be fair to the Pars, at least they had the sense not to loan Turner out to a team in the same division. 

And from what I can recall, Gary Locke was only marginally less shite as a player than he's been as a manager. 

9 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

Drawing futher parallels to that season, if they do decide to punt Crawford now I hear that John Hughes is available for a gig till the end of the season........

Has Hughes been punted from Ross County?

Sounds like Crawford is here for the short term anyway.  His usual Thursday interview and talking about 6 games to prove themselves.

Going on about finding the balance between a goal threat and being defensively solid. I mean nearly 2 and a half years in the job,  if he hasn't found that answer by now then he never will.

He's supposed to have signed players above the level of this league, players that should be steamrolling most of the clubs in the division, but now it seems they haven't a clue.

I'm not entirely convinced by this "great squad but manager out of his depth" narrative either, it's hard to believe Crawford doesn't have the know how to organise a team in the Scottish Championship.

10 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

He's supposed to have signed players above the level of this league, players that should be steamrolling most of the clubs in the division, but now it seems they haven't a clue.

I'm not entirely convinced by this "great squad but manager out of his depth" narrative either, it's hard to believe Crawford doesn't have the know how to organise a team in the Scottish Championship.

...and yet, it is true. 

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Sounds like Crawford is here for the short term anyway.  His usual Thursday interview and talking about 6 games to prove themselves.

Going on about finding the balance between a goal threat and being defensively solid. I mean nearly 2 and a half years in the job,  if he hasn't found that answer by now then he never will.

Aye, I was positive he'd be gone... 

Certainly some parallels between our Locke horror show and Dunfermline.  Decent squad on paper, good start to the season, manager who is generally a nice guy but not a manager, ultimately falling to shit, Declan Mcmanus stinking the place out.

Dunfermline at least have the luxury of a decent points haul, a shortened season and too many teams below them.  Should be getting at least top 4 with that squad, however, especially given the cut throat nature of the league this season.  

I'm possibly going to get shot down here but it's been a narrative that's been allowed to grow arms and legs. "This squad should be challenging hearts" etc etc.

This team is just about at the sum of its parts. Not one player (Whittaker aside) has performed at a higher level in their career. Team filled with loanees. Crawford maybe has an eye for a player but he isn't without his dud signings either.

We've a decent enough spine to the team for next season but it 100% needs tweaked and that includes the coaching staff.

Dunfermline have been given permission to speak to Raith Rovers’ boss John McGlynn about their vacant manager's job, reports BBC Sport.

It is understood Raith would not stand in the way of McGlynn joining their Scottish Championship rivals.

The 59-year-old guided Raith to promotion from the Scottish League One with the club now second in the second tier.

Dunfermline – six points behind them in the table - are looking for a manager after sacking Stevie Crawford on Wednesday following the Pars' 5-1 thrashing at the hands of their rivals the previous evening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50013439

8 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Dunfermline have been given permission to speak to Raith Rovers’ boss John McGlynn about their vacant manager's job, reports BBC Sport.

It is understood Raith would not stand in the way of McGlynn joining their Scottish Championship rivals.

The 59-year-old guided Raith to promotion from the Scottish League One with the club now second in the second tier.

Dunfermline – six points behind them in the table - are looking for a manager after sacking Stevie Crawford on Wednesday following the Pars' 5-1 thrashing at the hands of their rivals the previous evening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50013439

No such link.

33 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I'm possibly going to get shot down here but it's been a narrative that's been allowed to grow arms and legs. "This squad should be challenging hearts" etc etc.

This team is just about at the sum of its parts. Not one player (Whittaker aside) has performed at a higher level in their career. Team filled with loanees. Crawford maybe has an eye for a player but he isn't without his dud signings either.

We've a decent enough spine to the team for next season but it 100% needs tweaked and that includes the coaching staff.

I agree that it's bit exaggerated about how good our players are, but the quality should certainly be there for a comfortable play-off.

When I look at the squad I think we can put together a good back line and Wighton has made the forward of options much better. 

The issue for me is the midfielders. I think we lack players who can put the foot on the ball and make passes and close people down. McInroy has been really poor, just doesn't get about the pitch or get involved. Wilson is the only option that can get about teams in that area. Whittaker is too slow to play anything other than the protector role.

We never seem to have our central midfielder play in central midfield. It's always somebody protecting the defence or somebody playing off the forward. How about just getting two central midfielders to play in the middle of the park close folk down and put passes together. Raith schooled us in that sense on Tuesday.

The other area is goalkeeper. OFW is just another bad goalkeeper selection from Crawford. Scully, Gill and OFW have been rank.

Keep hearing about this wonderful performance at Dundee, but Ashcroft's header was another poppadom hands moment. He should've saved that goal. Pretty much every second week he's letting in long range shots that go through his hands.

Really think we need to start being a bit more hard nosed in decisions made at the club. The guy paints a picture to raise funds and comes across as a nice person, lets give him a two year deal. He did nothing to prove himself in his loan spell to deserve that 2 year deal. It was well know that he was a bomb scare at his previous two clubs.

There's clubs out there that would sacked their manager on the spot for the terrible managerial display on Tuesday. No, not us. Let's simper on with nice guy Stevie, despite a 4 month decline that's now becoming  a farce . It's all a bit too nice at times.