Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I suspect if football doesn't resume until October, and behind closed doors, then our squad will be very much threadbare, whilst taking full advantage of the loan system. If we do get a decent offer for Nisbet, it leaves us absolutely done for striking options. If Celtic are willing to loan Afolabi again, then that would help, especially if the contributions are low. I think we are pretty much sorted in defence tbh but would require a goalkeeper of course. 

We need at least two strikers, because McGill isn't very good. He got one league goal last season. Most of the team got more than that.

Agree that loans will play a big part, although they would in normal circumstances anyway.

Such a difficult situation though, as all clubs here are in the same position, which is that everyone is waiting to see what happens and can't do much, if anything, until things are confirmed, but of course it's impossible at this time to have anything confirmed as much of it is outwith the SPFL's hands. They have a plan but that could change as it's dependent on things they have no control over.

Suspect that there will be a highly entertaining mad scramble for players at a certain point if things move forward. Could see many teams make desperation signings and be stuck with some comical jobbers.

Hearts will fucking skoosh it anyway. Dundee, Ayr etc should be comfortable play-off candidates. Would happily take mid-table obscurity again given how difficult this will be for us. 

29 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Hearts will fucking skoosh it anyway. Dundee, Ayr etc should be comfortable play-off candidates. Would happily take mid-table obscurity again given how difficult this will be for us. 

Like they easily turned things around and stayed up?

I think they will win it, but don't see it being a skoosh for them.

Agree with taking mid table just now. It's often commented that a season is a 'transitional' one, but 20/21 definitely is.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Like they easily turned things around and stayed up?

Not really the same thing though is it? They will absolutely stroll it tbh, akin to Hibs season 16/17. 

Would think most teams will be saying the same this season, meaning that if we recruit smart we might be able to push again for the play-offs. If Nisbet goes, we're going to need others in the team to really step up. Big season for Turner I feel, first full-time season out the way hoping he can kick on a bit like Steven Bell did. 

If games are behind closed doors it could alter the manager's mindset. Every season we see boys who excel in u20s/reserves etc but can't hack it in the first team. That could sometimes be partly a mental block (ie nerves in front of a crowd - looking at you Moff). It could lead to some comedy scorelines anyway. 

If games are behind closed doors it could alter the manager's mindset. Every season we see boys who excel in u20s/reserves etc but can't hack it in the first team. That could sometimes be partly a mental block (ie nerves in front of a crowd - looking at you Moff). It could lead to some comedy scorelines anyway. 
Agreed, makes it even more of a shame that the likes of Smith and Morrison got the boot.

Cynically I'd rather we kept some of the first team guys and scrapped the youth squad. We have produced about three players in ten years. It's noble to try but basically our youth policy has been raiding other teams for good players and trying them out.
Some of the players we released or moved on have improved like scougal, white, Byrne and rooney.
It's happening again to an extent with smith. What does mcgill offer that's better?

Cynically I'd rather we kept some of the first team guys and scrapped the youth squad. We have produced about three players in ten years. It's noble to try but basically our youth policy has been raiding other teams for good players and trying them out.
Some of the players we released or moved on have improved like scougal, white, Byrne and rooney.
It's happening again to an extent with smith. What does mcgill offer that's better?
Who'd you have kept first team wise out of interest ?

31 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It's not happening with Smith. He's going to be a lower league player and isn't Championship standard.

Courier article with McArthur stating there will be no cut price for Nisbet because of the COVID-19 situation. 

Chairman will only consider offers that they value Nisbet to be. So that suggests to me that the bids made in January, which were apparently no where near the value we were pricing, will continue to be just that. Interest from down south as well, but I think we knew that would probably be the case. If there is anyone to step up and pay the value, then it'll be from down south. Nisbet will cost peanuts for English teams. 

Who'd you have kept first team wise out of interest ?
Thomson, ryan and Beadling are decent squad players. Paton perhaps, he didnt do much wrong.
If we scrapped off the youth system and kept them on it might have been cheaper?
I don't disagree with the players that were released just that keeping the youth system isn't cost effective.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
It's not happening with Smith. He's going to be a lower league player and isn't Championship standard.

Dont disagree but imo mcgill is worse

Aye, McGill isn't a good player, but it's obvious why he's still here and Smith isn't.