Walking Down The Halbeath Road

9 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I have sympathy for the players but surely they've known this was likely coming for months now? As soon as the league was called I'd have been looking for another job. Never mind that 80-90% of those released would be getting punted anyway.

There's not going to be a 20/21 season, so can't see them being signed up anywhere else.

If the club believed that, surely they would also be looking at ways of making those on two year deals, and management, redundant? After all, what utility would there be in holding onto remaining playing staff who'd be out of contract by the next time a ball is kicked?

Tom Beadling on radio scotland this morning. As suspected, him and 16 others have been left well and truly in the shit and now having to consider a job outside football.

Dunfermline could really do with clarifying this as it looks absolutely terrible on the surface. No idea what stopped them extending the contracts for a month.

If the club believed that, surely they would also be looking at ways of making those on two year deals, and management, redundant? After all, what utility would there be in holding onto remaining playing staff who'd be out of contract by the next time a ball is kicked?
You'd be liable to pay up contracts with a year left on them. For the guys who's contract is up at the end of may, theres nothing to pay up.

Chairmen had done an "interview" in the daily mail, explains playing behind closed.doors is not viable. Does not explain, however, why the guys could not have been kept on/furloughed for another month.

Here's the link

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8350061/Dunfermline-chairman-Ross-McArthur-says-axe-17-players.html

After thinking about this and reading more about it from other sources, it is now sitting really uneasily with me.

It's a bad decision that reflects really poorly on the club and the chairman and board. Worse though is the harm to those affected, especially since it seemingly costs nothing to do.

This is a major misstep and the club have to explain it as soon as possible.

Why this sudden outpouring of sympathy for football players? I'm not really arsed that they've lost out on 2 months wages and I bet there'll be people all over the country on far less wages who have been shafted too.

It doesn't seem right to exploit a government scheme designed to help retain employees long term so that a few football players get paid for 2 months they'd normally be looking for work anyway. They knew the contracts they'd signed were up this month. All this decision has done has brought forward something that was going to happen in July anyway.

It's sympathy for people. Their profession doesn't matter. 

Just because others have lost out doesn't mean it's right that anyone else should. Many players on the list won't be earning much anyway.

The scheme wouldn't be 'exploited'. It's designed to keep people in employment. Extending the contracts for a month does that. Doesn't matter that it's a month or 3 or 4 etc. Roy MacGregor isn't the authority on things here.

If there is no cost to the club doing it then why not do it?

10 hours ago, steakngravy said:

Is this Dunfermlines fantastic youth policy funded by the trhousands that put money into the club every week. I have a funny feeling that a lot of people will be looking for payments that will not be forthcoming. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Pish

Always

Runs

South

:bairn

What the actual f**k ?

It's sympathy for people. Their profession doesn't matter. 
Just because others have lost out doesn't mean it's right that anyone else should. Many players on the list won't be earning much anyway.
The scheme wouldn't be 'exploited'. It's designed to keep people in employment. Extending the contracts for a month does that. Doesn't matter that it's a month or 3 or 4 etc. Roy MacGregor isn't the authority on things here.
If there is no cost to the club doing it then why not do it?
Im not getting this sympathy line so let's just call it quits.

One of them hasn't kicked a ball in months. One of them has apparently turned down a deal and is wanted by another club. I've got far more pressing issues to concern myself with.

Why this sudden outpouring of sympathy for football players? I'm not really arsed that they've lost out on 2 months wages and I bet there'll be people all over the country on far less wages who have been shafted too.

It doesn't seem right to exploit a government scheme designed to help retain employees long term so that a few football players get paid for 2 months they'd normally be looking for work anyway. They knew the contracts they'd signed were up this month. All this decision has done has brought forward something that was going to happen in July anyway.

What a fucking shite take on this btw.

22 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Im not getting this sympathy line so let's just call it quits.

One of them hasn't kicked a ball in months. One of them has apparently turned down a deal and is wanted by another club. I've got far more pressing issues to concern myself with.

It's sympathy for folk losing their job. I don't see the issue with that.

It doesn't affect you in the slightest and is free to do (as far as we know at the moment) so I don't see the opposition to helping some folk out. Comes across as spiteful for the sake of being spiteful, even if that isn't your intent.

Regarding the line in bold, your concerns don't come into decision making process, but I would imagine the pressing issues you have will be the same as the players have.

Edited by DA Baracus

It doesn't affect you in the slightest and is free to do (as far as we know at the moment) so I don't see the opposition to helping some folk out. Comes across as spiteful for the sake of being spiteful, even if that isn't your intent.
Regarding the line in bold, your concerns don't come into decision making process, but I would imagine the pressing issues you have will be the same as the players have.
My point is they were out of contract and most of them stood to lose their job anyway. Your cunning plan would postpone that for 2 months. What then?

9 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:
13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

My point is they were out of contract and most of them stood to lose their job anyway. Your cunning plan would postpone that for 2 months. What then?

Then they'd be out of work. 

Doesn't mean the club shouldn't help them whilst they can, especially since it costs no one anything.

Then they'd be out of work. 

Doesn't mean the club shouldn't help them whilst they can, especially since it costs no one anything.

Why the faux sympathy now? Players come and go. Plenty have shafted us and scarpered to other clubs for a hundred quid a week more without losing a wink of sleep. At least one on this list has been speaking to a club in our league if we are to believe stories on here. You can cry yourself to sleep if you want. Me? Not so much....

Judge if continuing to furlough the players would come at any cost to the club on a monthly basis would have been a reasonable approach.
I'll bet my house it won't be possible.

17 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Why the faux sympathy now? Players come and go. Plenty have shafted us and scarpered to other clubs for a hundred quid a week more without losing a wink of sleep. At least one on this list has been speaking to a club in our league if we are to believe stories on here. You can cry yourself to sleep if you want. Me? Not so much....

There's no faux sympathy, just sympathy.

I do wonder what is different about the situation as it stands compared to other seasons..

Don't try and belittle my arguments with that 'crying yourself to sleep' nonsense. We have different views here but I though, until now, we were getting our points across fine without resorting to such shit. Don't be a dick please.