Parscelona

Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Dick is an odd one.
On one hand I have a ton of respect for his work with Bert and his time as a player (even though I never saw it).
On the other hand, he's a bigot tosser.
Nah, he is class.

Are you still hating him for that video of him joining in with some Sevco stuff in Spain or wherever it was?

The guy wasn't in a good place personally at the time and had a lot going on privately with family I believe. It's time to cut the man some slack for making a poor decision whilst having no idea where his mind was at the time. We all do stupid things when the stress levels are through the roof.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Are you still hating him for that video of him joining in with some Sevco stuff in Spain or wherever it was?

The guy wasn't in a good place personally at the time and had a lot going on privately with family I believe. It's time to cut the man some slack for making a poor decision whilst having no idea where his mind was at the time. We all do stupid things when the stress levels are through the roof.

I’d agree you don’t need to hate the man just because he sung some Rangers’ songs but c’mon now, he’s quite clearly a bit staunch.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've never turned in to a raging bigot when stress levels are through the roof.

I'd suggest no one does, because they already are bigots if doing such things.

Edited by DA Baracus

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Dick is an odd one.

On one hand I have a ton of respect for his work with Bert and his time as a player (even though I never saw it).

On the other hand, he's a bigot tosser.

Nah Dicks a great guy. 

I never find Dick Campbell to be the most endearing character, though that's entirely based on interviews I've heard rather than any personal conversation with him. Every time I hear him I'm struck by how bitter and self-absorbed he seems. About a year ago he was on the 'Off the Ball' teatime programme. I was on the way home from an away game (I think it was the shambles at Palmerston) and mentioned to my pal that when Campbell speaks, everything is always about him. By the end of it, he agreed with me on that, as it was exactly the same as other times I'd heard Campbell speak. This was at a time when Arbroath had just had a brilliant season and won their league ahead of Raith Rovers - you might reasonably expect most managers to talk a lot about the players, how well they'd played over the season and what a job they'd done to see Arbroath win the league with games to spare. But no, it just seemed to be all about Campbell himself and what he'd done.

In that 99/00 season, a lot of what's been said is true to some extent. There was a bit of a big-time attitude among many fans and I clearly remember the team being booed off after beating Ayr 2-1 at home, quite early in the season. We certainly hadn't played well and Ayr were unlucky not to come back from 2-0 to get a point, but that's the only time in 30 years I can ever remember a team getting that treatment after winning a game. However, there was a feeling that we weren't playing well generally and it was probably true. St Mirren absolutely played us off the park at East End in a game we sneaked a completely undeserved draw from - it might have been the one game in which Junior Mendes looked fantastic. There was also an iffy home display against Morton and losing a 2-0 lead at Stark's Park, probably among others that I don't have strong memories of. Campbell was sacked after losing at Love Street. He certainly had some right to be angered by it as it was the first league loss of the season, but there was certainly a mood that things were not going well.

Some bitterness about that is understandable but it's a shame that he still holds it, 20 years on, along with equally obvious bitterness about being sacked by Forfar in 2015. And maybe that's why all his talk is about him rather than his teams - he might well feel he'snever been given the credti he deserves for what he's done as a manager. It would be understandable to some degree if that is the case but, as I say, I don't find it to a very endearing character trait of his.

Bitter was certainly my over whelming feeling when he spoke at the sportsman dinner put on during admin.  He even talked about how he did all the UEFA badges etc and Paton never did, almost like he’s annoyed that Paton got all the praise from that era.   

We got booed off after beating Brechin at home.2-1 just before.xmas in 2017. I remember it as I had hospitality that game and was absolutely burst (carried on from Black Friday the night before). I found it to be the funniest thing ever at the time but looking back it really wasnt.

Miss it.

I mind they got booed off at half time against Edinburgh City in the Scottish Cup being 3 1 up.

On 16/05/2020 at 12:57, DA Baracus said:

I've never turned in to a raging bigot when stress levels are through the roof.

I'd suggest no one does, because they already are bigots if doing such things.

What about the time your murdered that priest with your bare hands? 

57 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

What about the time your murdered that priest with your bare hands? 

That wasn't religiously motivated.

What about the time you burned down Mecca bingo shouting Allahu Akbar, death to the granny infidels?

Similarly when you dressed up as the pope and mooned the rangers fans when Vanoli scored an o.g?

This has to stop.

What about the time you burned down Mecca bingo shouting Allahu Akbar, death to the granny infidels?
Similarly when you dressed up as the pope and mooned the rangers fans when Vanoli scored an o.g?
This has to stop.
I believe that was Noel Hunt.

8 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

This has to stop.

These all have reasonable explanations.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

These all have reasonable explanations.

I was very, very drunk 

image.jpeg.5e586a2989e78d9ee58fbd9b2152a37d.jpeg

Dick Campbell is a competent football Manager who's considered perhaps a little unorthodox in today's game.

He is without doubt extremely passionate about the game. 

I've been in his company. He is a decent sort. 

I'd suggest most of what is written on him last few posts is unsubstantiated garbage. But hey, it's the Internet so it's allowed. 

27 minutes ago, Axle Grease said:

Dick Campbell is a competent football Manager who's considered perhaps a little unorthodox in today's game.

He is without doubt extremely passionate about the game. 

I've been in his company. He is a decent sort. 

I'd suggest most of what is written on him last few posts is unsubstantiated garbage. But hey, it's the Internet so it's allowed. 

Aye, the guy is a legend.

Would rather someone was a bit non pc and rough around the edges as long as they're honest and trustworthy.

He did everything for the club.

Interesting to see clubs starting to announce who's going to be released at end of their contracts. Personally hope we keep everybody out of contract if they wish to stay, at least until JRS runs out.

Saw on Twitterland that Dom Thomas is open to signing for us permanently. Spoke highly of the club, management, coaches and apparently the happiest he's ever been playing football. That'd be an outstanding addition.