Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He has impressed in small amounts in fits and starts, but that's four separate managers who haven't really liked what they've seen and have either not picked him or loaned him out. It was the same thing at Motherwell beforehand. Perhaps partly down to attitude too. There's definite talent but I get the feeling he'll be one of these guys who will consistently look great in the lower leagues but then not really make an impact in the top flight.

Aye. It was exactly the same with us. 39 appearances - no goals, no assists, brushed off the ball with ease...but he nutmegged Jim Goodwin.

He had plenty of chances but he never really took them - his time was pretty much up when he was hooked after 54 mins against East Stirling in the LC Group having made precisely zero impact. 

When you look at his peer group that came through our academy roughly the same time he never really had the same sort of application as say Cadden, Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie who were all in the Youth Cup winning team with him or Scott and Semple who have broken through since.

He was a young guy - still is I suppose - but where the ones who have made a go of it in our first team put in the graft and bought into the strength and conditioning side of things Thomas seemed to resent that a bit. He was quite chippy with Motherwell fans generally but he kind of had a dig at the club when he left for Killie and it seemed to be about being asked to do the "free stuff".

He was quite open about his attitude being that he just wanted to "play football" - which I'm not sure lends itself to the top flight:

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson said he allowed Thomas to join Killie on a three-year contract because he believed the young Scot no longer wanted to be at Fir Park.

"Everyone has a different opinion, but the way they were playing wasn't really for me," said Thomas.

"The way they set out to play football here is perfect for me.

"The manager said he wants me to play with a smile on my face and that was music to my ears.

"The way I wanted to play football was the way he wants me to play and I am thankful for that."

McCulloch says he is trying to take the fear factor out of football at Rugby Park.

"I spoke to Dom and he was telling me that what he had been taught in the last year or two had been about defence," he recalled as he looked forward to Saturday's next League Cup Group E game away to Annan Athletic.

Link

Still hoping we get to cash in on that sell on that took him to Killie though.

Edited by capt_oats

Emergency loan possible? 

Getting desperate now, Nisbet out is season over. From my experience a physio could tell that my ligaments were stretched but not torn. Took a few weeks to be able to walk on it properly without any wobbling. If he’s getting a scan I’m guessing it’s swollen and at the very least a few weeks with a bad sprain. It’s very common for footballers to come back too early from this and injure it again. Harry Kane being an example. 

Its a shite injury and pretty much all you can do is weights or cycling plus the rehab exercises. I’d be shocked if he plays again before potential playoffs. Wouldn’t be shocked to hear that’s him until next season.

😞

Once Dow is back maybe we can play Thomas up with Jon? McGill needs to step up, big ask for him.

Edited by D.A.F.C

Put Thomson back in the middle and Turner behind Afolabi.

2 months ago I’d have been all for that but Turner’s coming on to a game now and the general consensus was that the reason for his shite performances was because he was being given an inconsistent role. If he’s starting to play well now I’d be cautious of chucking him about again, even though I think that role in behind the striker might be his best.

Put Thomson back in the middle and Turner behind Afolabi.
I'd like to see that although I fully get what smpar is saying as well. Not been a fan of him this season 1 bit but thought he was tremendous against Utd. That ball for the first goal is a good a pass as you'll see at this level.

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think M'voto is a free agent. Big battering ram for the rest of the season?

Shades of play off game at Tannadice.

AJ should have walked for that decision alone.

13 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Shades of play off game at Tannadice.

AJ should have walked for that decision alone.

I get why he did it, but agree it was a strange management decision its not like he was famed for his headed goals.

Anyway don't know why we are worrying the season will probably be over in the next few weeks. 

If we were going to have any hope of reaching the play-offs, we really needed Nisbet. Now that he is crocked, we look destined for mid-table obscurity. I'm actually not fussed. I'd have took 8th place when the season started.