Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Devine slipped ffs, although Ashy could have done better for the first.

They were solid throughout the game and both scored crucial, well-executed headers. So, yes, that was a good performance. They have been tosh for the majority of this season, however.

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know they both scored, but I wouldn't get too carried away here. Ashcroft gave away a penalty yesterday and was turned inside out by Dobbie in the build up to the opening goal too. 

A penalty which apparently only you and the referee thought was justified, for someone who got turned inside out Ashcroft must have some recovery skills to get back goalside of Dobbie and eliminate that threat, it was a lucky break of the ball which got the ball to Oliver. 

Devine slipped on a dreadful surface, not going to hate him for that. 

They've been dreadful a few times but they played well enough yesterday. 

I think the partnership has worked a lot better than it has in the past but I don’t feel we’re overly strong.

The penalty was bad fortune, your the only one who seemed certain of it. The first goal wasn’t so much dobbie turning Ashcroft inside out. He actually did well to slow things down and hold dobbie up and I wouldn’t be overly worried about a player slipping when your scrambling to get back. I’d be more likely to blame our midfield, turner for losing possession very poorly and the rest not getting back fast enough to support Ashcroft/Devine who did get back.

I was far more worried about the tendency to get drawn forward when a ball was played short to the strikers feet it left huge gaps and they were lucky that others covered.

They both deserve credit for a lot of good stuff they did in nullifying Queens. Same with Turner especially first half, closed a lot down at the edge of the box and Queens were unable to get a shot away.

Anyway, now what do we do for 3 weeks? No games.
No transfer window
No complaints?

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know they both scored, but I wouldn't get too carried away here. Ashcroft gave away a penalty yesterday and was turned inside out by Dobbie in the build up to the opening goal too. Devine was lying on his backside on the grass at the time having fallen over in the box while Gary Oliver knocked the ball in.

If that's them being "brilliant" then they must have been damned awful before!

Are you sure? ;)

He tripped or slipped on the awful surface - Devine is prone to being awful but Saturday was one of his better performances.

Ashcroft did terribly for the first Queens goal, although Turner gave up possession far too easily to begin with. Devine slipped, which is unfortunate.

I'm sure they were better in the majority of the game but not convinced either centre back is a good option going forward. I'd think the 'Back 5' will need at least three summer additions.

Edit - Actually, I could see the back four being Comrie - Morrison - Murray - Martin

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

I imagine SC didn't want to change the back 4 considering they kept a clean sheet against Dundee. That being said, I fully expect Martin to go back to left back and Murray to move in to centre half (likely to partner Ashcroft rather than Devine).

Morrison? What do you see in him that's any better than what else we have? He'll end up playing for Hill O Beith in a couple of years or equivalent.

I can understand Craw wanting to try keep his two centre halves the same to a point, if they can click. Last two games they've started but not convinced either its a long term solution.

Morrison looked properly out his depth against Dundee United at home. Every player had a mare that game, but he was particularly woeful. 

I think Murray and Ashcroft is a good pairing; Murray can play the Morris role from 17-18 season. Lewis Martin is definitely the way forward at left-back. Comrie is a very good player at this level as well. Arguably our most consistent performer this season. 

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Ashcroft did terribly for the first Queens goal, although Turner gave up possession far too easily to begin with. Devine slipped, which is unfortunate.

I'm sure they were better in the majority of the game but not convinced either centre back is a good option going forward. I'd think the 'Back 5' will need at least three summer additions.

Edit - Actually, I could see the back four being Comrie - Lang - Murray - Martin

I would be quite happy with that back 4 next season with Ashcroft, Morrison and Edwards providing cover. Maybe a CB who can play RB for cover? to replace Devine

When Morrison plays centre half he looks like a centre midfielder being asked to play at the back. When he plays centre midfield, he looks like a centre half being asked to cover in there. Still young but needs to improve. Hope the loan deal does him the world of good.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

He was good at Parkhead but then the whole defensive unit looked good there. We then had most of the same players have an absolute shocker in the United game.

Lewis Martin produced the finest defensive display I've ever seen from a Pars player in that game. Austin MacPhee was scouting him for Hearts then next week against United.

Morrison was also very good at Parkhead but then had the second worst individual performance of the season, closely behind Josh Edwards vs Alloa.

This is a long 3 weeks already FFS. 

Favourite headed Pars goal? 

For me, probably Andy Smith v Airdrie in '96 to help win the league on the last day. 

Also Skerla's looping header over the despairing David Marshall in the '04 cup final. 

Any others out there? Andy Tod loved a good header!

Falconbridge vs Celtic was a great one too, but Andy Smith v Airdrie would be my top one as well.

For me, probably Andy Smith v Airdrie in '96 to help win the league on the last day. 
Also Skerla's looping header over the despairing David Marshall in the '04 cup final. 

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Martin Hardie header against Ross County, and then latterly against Raith Rovers a few weeks later! 

Bit of an odd one but I fucking loved Baynes header against Raith in the 2-1 away game at Starks in 2009, went absolutely tonto.