Walking Down The Halbeath Road

On 10/01/2020 at 20:00, D.A.F.C said:

Thomas was outstanding at dumbarton.
I think hes more dynamic than kiltie? More like a winger.

Hi guys, thought I'd pop by for a bit of DT chat.

Last season he was at his best for us in a totally free role kind of beside/behind Calum Gallagher. He would just float into pockets of space, target whichever defender he saw as most weak and - more often than not - tear them to shreds. Some of the goals he scored where nothing short of ridiculous and his skill levels are outrageous. He also worked himself into the ground every single week, lifted the guys around him and - seriously - despite him only being on loan, I was all for giving him the armband when Andy Dowie left last January.

I'd imagine having him in behind Kevin Nisbet could work similarly to how he worked last season with Gallagher - and the two of them banged in a very healthy number of goals for a struggling side between them. 

The only weakness, I suppose, you could say is that he can be quite predictable. He'll get the ball and run at folk every single time. He's got a bit of a lower league Arjen Robben about him in that regard. 

It'll probably have been posted already, but here he is bagging a screamer of a hat-trick against East Fife.

Yogi managed to win the Scottish Cup with ICT, I know that would’ve been better budgets but its still ICT. I’m not saying that makes him a good man to take over a struggling championship team but if anyone thinks Yogi would do worse than Crawford then their bonkers. I thought AJ’s tactics were bad when plan A didn’t work, but this is unbelievable, we don’t even have a plan A just now, because if we score we then shit the bed, and if we concede we shit the bed and the other team breaks us down and wins.

Sorry for all the Yogi chat, maybe I’m just fed up and looking at all routes. If the announcement is made in the next 36 hours then it’ll be guys like him on the list.

Don't quite understand why a St Johnstone fan hates John Hughes? Raith fans I can get but the attitude of their players was stinking as well when they were relegated.

Can you blame the players when Hughes repeatedly chucked them under the bus in public? Nobody is likely to play well under those conditions.

Folk pretending to be in the know by say " ooh there's a board meeting on Monday" :lol: the board meet one Monday a month you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right.

I can see Crawford being given till the end of the season. I don't think he should be and if we lose to queen's in our next game then his position is untenable. 

He seems like a nice guy but basic errors are costing us time after time and I have no idea what they players are doing in training because it doesn't seem to relate to what goes on out on the park.

As for his replacement Petrie signed a new deal at Montrose and has a decent job as far as I'm aware if he has a clause to leave for a full time team then he would probably be top of the list. The club should avoid the same old faces.

Furthermore with only us and Raith paying into FEFA I could see if they don't win promotion then we will be left to run it ourselves in which case I would move Shield's to run the academy and reserve sides. 

Just seen the 3rd goal from yesterday. What an absolute fucking shitebag Scully is. Get him so far to f**k. If we’re keeping Crawford, then I absolutely refuse to believe he’s taking us down with chocolate wrists as main keeper.

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

Furthermore with only us and Raith paying into FEFA I could see if they don't win promotion then we will be left to run it ourselves in which case I would move Shield's to run the academy and reserve sides. 

Aye I'd absolutely keep Shields involved when it comes to the youngsters, but the other pair are done as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

Folk pretending to be in the know by say " ooh there's a board meeting on Monday" :lol: the board meet one Monday a month you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right.

I can see Crawford being given till the end of the season. I don't think he should be and if we lose to queen's in our next game then his position is untenable. 

He seems like a nice guy but basic errors are costing us time after time and I have no idea what they players are doing in training because it doesn't seem to relate to what goes on out on the park.

As for his replacement Petrie signed a new deal at Montrose and has a decent job as far as I'm aware if he has a clause to leave for a full time team then he would probably be top of the list. The club should avoid the same old faces.

Our next game is against Dundee at EEP on TV.

Glad to see RG spectacularly miss the point once again. This is from a guy who said supporters of clubs that have ever had financial problems don’t deserve to talk about finances and then 20 minutes later admitted his own club have lost money for several consecutive years.

An absolute haggis.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Didnt he replace Gary Locke? Smith was later.

To be fair, whilst he certainly didnt improve things at Raith he didnt really make it worse either. They went down because of St Mirren's remarkable improvement. Their own form didnt change much.

Hughes was an absolute fucking disaster. 

He was arrogant, a bully, and tactically mental. 

That squad wasn't very good, but he should certainly have kept us up. He lost every single away league game. 

8 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Glad to see RG spectacularly miss the point once again. This is from a guy who said supporters of clubs that have ever had financial problems don’t deserve to talk about finances and then 20 minutes later admitted his own club have lost money for several consecutive years.

If you cant see why I told a Dundee United fan to pay more attention to their own losses than ours, then I'm not the only one who's missed the point.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Can you blame the players when Hughes repeatedly chucked them under the bus in public? Nobody is likely to play well under those conditions.

Hughes spent most games balling at the players and calling them shite. That squad includes some of my least favourite Rovers players of all time, but they were dreadfully managed. 

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Tbh, I think they would've finished bottom if they hadn't changed manager. They were the worst side in the league when he took over. 

I think your criticisms are fair, his job was to keep them up and he failed. And the way he acted in the job probably did as much damage to his reputation as the results on the park.

I just think it looks even worse than it was when the overall table is presented rather than the form table. 

As mentioned above, that squad should have finished at least 8th. It contained Ross Callachan, Jordan Thomson, Ryan Hardie and Declan Mcmanus. On paper, certainly decent players. And contained the core of the squad that finished 4th by something like 19 points the season before. 

Granted, Locke takes a big chunk of the blame. But Hughes took a squad low on confidence and publically slated them as much as he could, then lamented their lack of confidence. 

He prides himself on his weird quirks (made a triple substitution after going 1-0 vs Hibs, one of whom then gave away a goal from a free kick). He'd go on in his early interviews about sprinkling his gold dust etc. However, once he realises these tricks don't work, he's useless.

Apologies for dragging a Dunfermline thread off track, but I really do hate to see John Hughes leave with any kind of mitigation for how he acted that season. He's a fraud and a bully, and I'm absolutely delighted he hasn't even come close to providing any other club with that misfortune since. 

It's an analogy I've used a few times, but John Hughes did inherit a sinking ship. He then set fire to it, steered it into an iceberg, then fled in the only lifeboat. 

Edited by CALDERON

That squad wasn't very good, but he should certainly have kept us up. He lost every single away league game. 

He’d do much better than Crawford.

What I’m trying to say is if he was given a crack at it at the start of the season, we’d probably in a better position.

No way would I have him at this point in the season, however. There’s lots of options out there. It’s up to the board to grow a pair, bin Crawford and get applications in.

I said before a ball was kicked I’d bite your hand off for 8th, but we’re perilously close to the abyss now.

Imagine my surprise at Crawford, a somewhat rookie manager, with a terrible win percentage at lower league dross in East Fife, combined with Jackie Fucking McNamara working in the background, making a total mess of a campaign with a club that has a budget that far exceeds the majority in the league.

That’s Dunfermline Athletic for you. Story of the 2010s and it’s continuing now in to the 20s.

15 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

a club that has a budget that far exceeds the majority in the league.

What's that based on? 

The dundee clubs will be comfortably outspending us, partick have a a healthy budget, Cally are expecting to lose about £800k this year. 

This was the league table when he was hired...
Screenshot_20200112-084412_Chrome.thumb.jpg.74883e8cc42274ee2de20ed5868c20d3.jpg
This was it by the end of his tenure...
Screenshot_20200112-084619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.02509ed0d2c48f4fd42303453db0fa5c.jpg
They then obviously lost the play off to the same Brechin side who didnt win a single game the next season.
His record at this level reads a promotion with Falkirk in 2005, a failure with Livingston where he underperformed who he replaced (Gary Bollan), then a relegation with Raith where he underperformed who he replaced (Barry Smith).
Hes certainly got a track record.
That Brechin 2nd leg was tremendous.

What's that based on? 
The dundee clubs will be comfortably outspending us, partick have a a healthy budget, Cally are expecting to lose about £800k this year. 

It doesn’t take a Philadelphia lawyer to work out we’ll have a bigger budget than every team in this league, bar the Dundee clubs and possibly ICT.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

It's an analogy I've used a few times, but John Hughes did inherit a sinking ship. He then set fire to it, steered it into an iceberg, then fled in the only lifeboat. 

He's still floating about on that lifeboat, stranded in the middle of the ocean of ex-managers. 

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Aye, sorry, on re-reading that it sounds like I'm defending his stint at Raith and I didn't mean to. It was awful and so was Locke before him. I was merely picking Random Guy up on the notion he did worse than Locke (he may have but it was marginal). Your position relative to Dumbarton / Ayr, etc didn't really change. What changed was St Mirren coming with a run equivalent to promotion challengers.