Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Don’t want to stick with Crawford. Genuinely believe there must be better options out there. He’s proven he’s not the right man.

However, as I’ve previously said, I’d rather stick with Crawford than bring Yogi in. Stand by that opinion. If he’s the best available, we should stick with what we have for now.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

No it’s not. Yogi did worse than Locke. worse than Gary fucking Locke.

Crawford is struggling badly, but things can get worse and appointing Hughes is a quick way to achieve that.

How can they get worse exactly? We’ve lost five in a row, for the second time under Crawford and he’s only been in charge for about 30-40 games.

We are in serious fucking danger of relegation, which should be almost impossible with two part-time sides in the league and absolute muck like Morton, Queens and Thistle. If we do finish 9th then our team of absolute shitebags will lose I guarantee it.

They need to admit they fucked it - again - and try an actual recruitment process this time, rather than offering the gig to the first person Ross McArthur met when he walked down the corridor.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

In what way? He’s behind Montrose who have a far smaller budget. Granted, he’d probably do better than Crawford but you’d be struggling to find anyone who would do worse tbh.

EF are a point ahead of Montrose although the latter do have a game in hand.

We had Young in for an interview and he apparently did pretty well. So well in fact that I was told by someone close to him that Young thought he was going to be offered the job.

East Fife fell off a cliff after January last season though and look to be repeating history this season. He’s pretty desperate to go FT though so should you open the post up for applications he’ll definitely apply.

In what way? He’s behind Montrose who have a far smaller budget. Granted, he’d probably do better than Crawford but you’d be struggling to find anyone who would do worse tbh.

They aren’t behind them. Granted, Montrose have a game in hand which they may well take advantage of. My reasons for Young taking over ahead of Petrie were posted couple pages back.

10 hours ago, JFPar said:

I'd actually take Yogi, been saying it for months. Couldn't care less about his daft wee stint with Raith, they were already destined for the drop.

This was the league table when he was hired...

Screenshot_20200112-084412_Chrome.thumb.jpg.74883e8cc42274ee2de20ed5868c20d3.jpg

This was it by the end of his tenure...

Screenshot_20200112-084619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.02509ed0d2c48f4fd42303453db0fa5c.jpg

They then obviously lost the play off to the same Brechin side who didnt win a single game the next season.

His record at this level reads a promotion with Falkirk in 2005, a failure with Livingston where he underperformed who he replaced (Gary Bollan), then a relegation with Raith where he underperformed who he replaced (Barry Smith).

Hes certainly got a track record.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This was the league table when he was hired...

Screenshot_20200112-084412_Chrome.thumb.jpg.74883e8cc42274ee2de20ed5868c20d3.jpg

This was it by the end of his tenure...

Screenshot_20200112-084619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.02509ed0d2c48f4fd42303453db0fa5c.jpg

They then obviously lost the play off to the same Brechin side who didnt win a single game the next season.

His record at this level reads a promotion with Falkirk in 2005, a failure with Livingston where he underperformed who he replaced (Gary Bollan), then a relegation with Raith where he underperformed who he replaced (Barry Smith).

Hes certainly got a track record.

Hughes was terrible at Raith, but that table should probably be qualified by adding that Raith had 20 points after 11 matches that season. They had lost 6 in a row before he joined and hadn't won in 12. They slide they were on was always going to be difficult to arrest. 

Just now, SpoonTon said:

Hughes was terrible at Raith, but that table should probably be qualified by adding that Raith had 20 points after 11 matches that season. They had lost 6 in a row before he joined and hadn't won in 12. They slide they were on was always going to be difficult to arrest. 

So what you're saying is Hughes wasnt able to stop a team in poor form continuing that form?

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

then a relegation with Raith where he underperformed who he replaced (Barry Smith).

Didnt he replace Gary Locke? Smith was later.

To be fair, whilst he certainly didnt improve things at Raith he didnt really make it worse either. They went down because of St Mirren's remarkable improvement. Their own form didnt change much.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Didnt he replace Gary Locke? Smith was later.

To be fair, whilst he certainly didnt improve things at Raith he didnt really make it worse either. They went down because of St Mirren's remarkable improvement. Their own form didnt change much.

You're quite right. 

They went down because he couldnt outperform Dumbarton, and he couldnt get them to beat Brechin over two legs.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're quite right. 

They went down because he couldnt outperform Dumbarton, and he couldnt get them to beat Brechin over two legs.

Don't quite understand why a St Johnstone fan hates John Hughes? Raith fans I can get but the attitude of their players was stinking as well when they were relegated.

I think you could make a good argument that hes achieved more than any manager currently in the Championship quite frankly.

Granted his powers seem to be on the wane and employing him would be a risk.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Don't quite understand why a St Johnstone fan hates John Hughes? Raith fans I can get but the attitude of their players was stinking as well when they were relegated.

I think you could make a good argument that hes achieved more than any manager currently in the Championship quite frankly.

Granted his powers seem to be on the wane and employing him would be a risk.

I dont hate him at all, I just find it bizarre that a manager who's had one good season in the past decade, with another mans squad who he proceeded to destroy and push towards relegation, seems to get constantly touted for jobs.

Better to hire someone who might fail rather than hire someone you know will. Youd be lucky to get two seasons out of Hughes before you're back where you started, or worse.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So what you're saying is Hughes wasnt able to stop a team in poor form continuing that form?

Tbh, I think they would've finished bottom if they hadn't changed manager. They were the worst side in the league when he took over. 

I think your criticisms are fair, his job was to keep them up and he failed. And the way he acted in the job probably did as much damage to his reputation as the results on the park.

I just think it looks even worse than it was when the overall table is presented rather than the form table. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont hate him at all, I just find it bizarre that a manager who's had one good season in the past decade, with another mans squad who he proceeded to destroy and push towards relegation, seems to get constantly touted for jobs.

Better to hire someone who might fail rather than hire someone you know will. Youd be lucky to get two seasons out of Hughes before you're back where you started, or worse.

That's football though, his namesake Mark Hughes has made a career out of that in the English Premier League and he still gets employed.