Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I would agree with Calumpar experience doesn't always equal quality. I would be interested to see what mangers out there fancy the job, rather than having a candidate in mind. There could be some interesting foreign managers out there looking to break into football in Britain.

6 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I would agree with Calumpar experience doesn't always equal quality. I would be interested to see what mangers out there fancy the job, rather than having a candidate in mind. There could be some interesting foreign managers out there looking to break into football in Britain.

No one is arguing that though, I don't think? I think the point is more, even these fairly unappealing options would do a better job than Crawford.

1 minute ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Are you serious?

John Hughes got Inverness 3rd in the top flight, won the Scottish Cup and was unlucky to lose a League Cup final on penalties. 

At Falkirk, he got them into the top flight, finishing 10th, 7th, 7th and 10th and also reached the Scottish Cup final.

I'm assuming you either didn't know about these examples or left them out as they didn't help your point.

It's true that Yogi has had some troubling failures since these roles and has become somewhat of a laughing stock for throwing his hat in the ring for every job going. These would make me very hesitant towards him getting the Pars job (without taking into account his strong Falkirk link!) but to argue he's not a better option than Crawford is slightly baffling tbh.

McKinnon seems to have done a lot better at smaller clubs like Brechin and Raith Rovers where there is less scrutiny and expectation. He also wouldn't be a good fit at EEP but I can't find an argument that Crawford is any better, considering he's achieved absolutely zero as a manager to date.

The main criticism of Yogi is he can't recruit, he inherited a good team at Inverness but after a few seasons it looked tired and all the best players had been sold. I don't think the fact he applies for lots of jobs makes him a laughing stock, it's more the fact he fly's off the handle and is unpredictable. 

Ray is useless how a competent manager can only get a 50% win record with Dundee United and 30% win record with Falkirk in the 2nd and 3rd teir. Even Crawford has a better record that.

6 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

No one is arguing that though, I don't think? I think the point is more, even these fairly unappealing options would do a better job than Crawford.

Our posts must have crossed. I don't think Ray would do a better job. I'm not sure about Yogi my heart would have Crawford ahead of him. As others have said I'm not sure Jason Dair was the best appointment as assistant.

What about his hat-trick against Stirling Albion though?
Or, in one of my all-time favourite EEP moments ever, he was given offside after getting on to the end of his own through ball?
His hat trick against Stirling and still was one of the worst players on the park. Probably no other player in history could say the same but he managed it.

17 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

The main criticism of Yogi is he can't recruit, he inherited a good team at Inverness but after a few seasons it looked tired and all the best players had been sold. I don't think the fact he applies for lots of jobs makes him a laughing stock, it's more the fact he fly's off the handle and is unpredictable. 

Ray is useless how a competent manager can only get a 50% win record with Dundee United and 30% win record with Falkirk in the 2nd and 3rd teir. Even Crawford has a better record that.

Whether he had a good side or not he still achieved their highest ever league finish and delivered their first major cup. Previous managers may have had an impact but that shouldn't be used as a reason to diminish his achievements.

I have no issue with him applying for jobs. He can apply for every managerial position going as far as I'm concerned. It's needing to get his pals in the press to write up puff pieces to help him out that grates.

Again, even a "useless" manager like McKinnon has had even some minor success in the game. Crawford has done absolutely nothing during spells with us and East Fife. We went for the cheapest possible option and are getting what we paid for.

Are you serious?
John Hughes got Inverness 3rd in the top flight, won the Scottish Cup and was unlucky to lose a League Cup final on penalties. 
At Falkirk, he got them into the top flight, finishing 10th, 7th, 7th and 10th and also reached the Scottish Cup final.
I'm assuming you either didn't know about these examples or left them out as they didn't help your point.
It's true that Yogi has had some troubling failures since these roles and has become somewhat of a laughing stock for throwing his hat in the ring for every job going. These would make me very hesitant towards him getting the Pars job (without taking into account his strong Falkirk link!) but to argue he's not a better option than Crawford is slightly baffling tbh.
McKinnon seems to have done a lot better at smaller clubs like Brechin and Raith Rovers where there is less scrutiny and expectation. He also wouldn't be a good fit at EEP but I can't find an argument that Crawford is any better, considering he's achieved absolutely zero as a manager to date.

I was aware of these achievements, but I think the number of jobs he has been a complete failure outnumber his 2 successes. His attitude in interviews etc at Raith had him and the club ridiculed and had Raith fans fuming. I’d argue if he came here, he would come into a very similar situation, totally different to the one at the clubs he has had success with. This is why I genuinely don’t understand the argument that he would do a better job than Crawford.

As has been mentioned already, he inherited a good team at Inverness. Yes, he still achieved what he did and deserves credit, but when he’s had to do his own recruitment, he has been a disaster. By all accounts, he’s a disaster working with younger players as well. Which, again, suggests he wouldn’t be a success here. Prime example of his inability to work with youngsters being when he froze Vaughan out of the team and loaned him to Dumbarton, where he played very well and kept them in the league in Raith’s place.

I was aware of these achievements, but I think the number of jobs he has been a complete failure outnumber his 2 successes. His attitude in interviews etc at Raith had him and the club ridiculed and had Raith fans fuming. I’d argue if he came here, he would come into a very similar situation, totally different to the one at the clubs he has had success with. This is why I genuinely don’t understand the argument that he would do a better job than Crawford.

As has been mentioned already, he inherited a good team at Inverness. Yes, he still achieved what he did and deserves credit, but when he’s had to do his own recruitment, he has been a disaster. By all accounts, he’s a disaster working with younger players as well. Which, again, suggests he wouldn’t be a success here. Prime example of his inability to work with youngsters being when he froze Vaughan out of the team and loaned him to Dumbarton, where he played very well and kept them in the league in Raith’s place.

Wasn’t it Gary Locke that loaned Vaughan out?

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Your Vaughan comment shows your lack of knowledge about the subject but I'm not arguing that Hughes would be a good choice for us, just a better one than Crawford. Barring a total calamity, he could hardly do much worse in fairness. If Hughes had accrued the same amount of points as Crawford and suffered so many embarrassing cup defeats (Rovers, Edinburgh City, Stranraer) then he would be bodied out of the club. Any suggestion that he was focusing on younger players and trying to change the club's philosophy would be laughed off as fantasy land.

Feel like I've spent too much time already today doing John Hughes PR so I'll give that a rest. As I said a few days ago, I'd like some sort of mutual agreement to be made between the Board and Crawford, let people apply for the job and give it to the best candidate. 

Edit - Just saw you put your hands up to the Vaughan comment so apologies for that dig

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

Barring a total calamity, he could hardly do much worse in fairness.

This time last year, we were 7th in the league, under AJ. At the moment, we’re 6th having played a game less than every team below us (unless Alloa score 10 goals in the last 5 mins).

We’ve played 13, won 4, drawn 4, lost 5. After 13 games last year, we had won 4, drawn 3, lost 6. We’ve also scored 4 more and conceded 4 less than at this stage last season. We also lost 8 of our first 13 two seasons ago.

Neither of these are good records, but it’s ridiculously farfetched to suggest that this is the worst we could possibly be, after big budget cuts this summer, in comparison to last season?

This is why I’m really struggling to understand the whole “couldn’t do worse” mentality. This is our second best start to a championship campaign since we came back up. As disappointing as it may seem, that’s just how it is. Yes, Crawford needs to improve, but it’s nowhere near as bad as all these comments are suggesting. We made huge budget cuts over the summer, we’re mid-table and have more points than the same stage last season. It really isn’t as terrible as is being made out. We’re also 3rd in the form table for the last 6 games. You seem to be massively overreacting to a couple of poor games. This season hasn’t been great at all, but it’s certainly not been the disaster you seem to be making out. We don’t have any sort of god-given right to dominate other teams in the same league.

Just need to stop having occasional poor games but with a young squad it’s understandable. Definitely need a couple of experienced heads in but the cup exit may effect that though.

Losing Thomson and Murray has effected us and we really need some balance to Dow on the other wing. It’s not far away from clicking.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

This time last year, we were 7th in the league, under AJ. At the moment, we’re 6th having played a game less than every team below us (unless Alloa score 10 goals in the last 5 mins).

We’ve played 13, won 4, drawn 4, lost 5. After 13 games last year, we had won 4, drawn 3, lost 6. We’ve also scored 4 more and conceded 4 less than at this stage last season. We also lost 8 of our first 13 two seasons ago.

Neither of these are good records, but it’s ridiculously farfetched to suggest that this is the worst we could possibly be, after big budget cuts this summer, in comparison to last season?

This is why I’m really struggling to understand the whole “couldn’t do worse” mentality. This is our second best start to a championship campaign since we came back up. As disappointing as it may seem, that’s just how it is. Yes, Crawford needs to improve, but it’s nowhere near as bad as all these comments are suggesting. We made huge budget cuts over the summer, we’re mid-table and have more points than the same stage last season. It really isn’t as terrible as is being made out. We’re also 3rd in the form table for the last 6 games. You seem to be massively overreacting to a couple of poor games. This season hasn’t been great at all, but it’s certainly not been the disaster you seem to be making out. We don’t have any sort of god-given right to dominate other teams in the same league.

Your argument boils down to Crawford's record being almost identical to AJ's from last season. A reminder that at this time last season, everyone was demanding AJ's head because the results had been so poor. You say mid-table like we're not two points off a relegation play-off spot.

That's before taking into account that it doesn't simply come down to how many points are on the board. Under Crawford this season, we've already lost to Arbroath, Alloa, Stranraer and Edinburgh City. After each game, he's either made a silly excuse or just shrugged and said he had no idea what happened. The man is out of his depth, he's a decent youth coach that's been handed a job he's not qualified for but could never turn down because of his love for the club.

Like I said a few pages ago, the only successful thing he's done so far - other than bring in Ryan Dow - is make total and complete mediocrity seem like success.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

Again, if this was John Hughes, Stuart McCall, Craig Levein etc that had presided over this period then not one person would be defending them.

I'm also not convinced about the "massive budget cuts" line either tbh. Sounds like a good excuse to put up the admission prices. If they have had to make significant savings, it's only because the club has wasted so much money on shite players. Of course, the pre-season statement from the club suggested it was all the fans' fault for not turning up in big enough numbers so I guess I must have taken leave of my senses to even suggest such a thing.