Walking Down The Halbeath Road

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Also there's no way we're a bigger club than St Johnstone. They're an established Premiership club, often finishing top six, who not long ago were in Europe quite a few times and who won the Scottish Cup. We were in League 1 for three seasons. Unless folk are talking about crowds, but we lie about our attendances and the actual difference in home attendances is fairly small.

By this definition, would you say Bournemouth are a bigger club than Leeds United?

27 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Also there's no way we're a bigger club than St Johnstone.

Nonsense. 

Bigger crowds, more domestic trophies, more prominence in European competitions etc. Pretty sure we've played more top flight football than them, also. It's a fairly obvious thing, m9. 

Noticed there that Ryan Scully has made over 100 club appearances for us. Usually players that reach that feat have some sort of positive mark on a club, but Scully is genuinely rotten. To be fair, he looked very good in League 1 those 2 seasons, but he's clearly not up to this level whatsoever. 

22 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Nonsense. 

Bigger crowds, more domestic trophies, more prominence in European competitions etc. Pretty sure we've played more top flight football than them, also. It's a fairly obvious thing, m9. 

So Queens Park are 'bigger' than us given they've won more domestic trophies? 

We've won a whole one trophy more than St Johnstone and that was over half a decade ago. Same with the European stuff. It's great history and I love reading about it and enjoy the footage but means nothing now. Crowds are pretty similar. St Johnstone have played more in the top league than we have (48 seasons to 40).

It's irrelevant though. Being a 'bigger' team means nothing. It doesn't guarantee success.

48 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Noticed there that Ryan Scully has made over 100 club appearances for us. Usually players that reach that feat have some sort of positive mark on a club, but Scully is genuinely rotten. To be fair, he looked very good in League 1 those 2 seasons, but he's clearly not up to this level whatsoever. 

Harsh. He's had a dip in form this season, no question, and had a few errors. That aside, I felt he was very good when he came back in January and had a big say in the 5 game winning run in February/March that ultimately kept us in the league.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:

Harsh. He's had a dip in form this season, no question, and had a few errors. That aside, I felt he was very good when he came back in January and had a big say in the 5 game winning run in February/March that ultimately kept us in the league.

Some people have to rate players as either brilliant or shite. There's no middle ground allowed.

Hard to pick. Nobody was particularly good and nobody was particularly poor. I’d probably go:
Dow
Martin
Comrie

Was a strange game. Thought the full backs should have pushed forward more and tried to overlap, in order to create some space. Thought the midfield should have demanded the ball from centre halves and driven forward, trying to draw their midfield/defence out a bit.

Dow tried to make things happen and seemed positive, but nothing really came off. He still looked our most dangerous player and most likely to make something happen, when he was on the park I thought.

McCann looked good in spells, but overall the front 2 didn’t work the keeper at all. Nisbet’s finishing was poor and hopefully he can start putting chances away on a regular basis soon.

D.A.F.C. certainly hinted at the big money backer thing, unless he's suggesting a different alternative to a fan backed club.
Also there's no way we're a bigger club than St Johnstone. They're an established Premiership club, often finishing top six, who not long ago were in Europe quite a few times and who won the Scottish Cup. We were in League 1 for three seasons. Unless folk are talking about crowds, but we lie about our attendances and the actual difference in home attendances is fairly small.
It doesn't matter anyway who the 'bigger club' is. You don't get points for that. I take the point though that we are similar clubs and they've massively out achieved us for years.
I think a fan backed club is great but as I said it depends quite a bit on momentum and results. We could go on a downwards spiral whereby crowds and budgets have a knock on effect. AJ shouldn't have been allowed to effectively buy two teams a season. Just wish someone would invest some cash to allow a bit of a cushion.
Easy for me to say.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

I think a fan backed club is great but as I said it depends quite a bit on momentum and results. We could go on a downwards spiral whereby crowds and budgets have a knock on effect. AJ shouldn't have been allowed to effectively buy two teams a season. Just wish someone would invest some cash to allow a bit of a cushion.
Easy for me to say.

I wasn't having a go at you for it. I just disagree.

Momentum is always going to swing so we just need to try and get it right more often and be prepared for when it goes wrong.

Reportedly (Hamilton Twitter feed) Daniel Armstrong was triallist in today's 2-0 defeat by Hamilton reserves. I thought he was pretty decent in live game for Ross County I saw last season against ICT, and seemed nothing like the player we'd had previously. Looked very dangerous in terms of direct running and crossing. Should we give him a second spell?