Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Vincent was by absolutely no means a destroyer type player, at all. 

For all the nothing he'd usually contribute Vincent was then absent for the other part. Our midfield shape was weird on Saturday which in itself hung Beadling out to dry, with Paton dropping so deep you often had Beadling up against 3 United centre mids, they just passed around him. If Crawford wants to persist with Paton dropping that deep he needs to have 2 centre mids. 

We only played with two midfielders on Saturday - Stanton and Harkes. Butcher was at centre half.

Kyle Turner should have started on Saturday in place of one of the strikers. We should have went with one up top, filled out the midfield and tried to catch them on the break. Instead we played high balls to Dundee United's giraffe like centre-half's who just lapped it up. Straight out of AJ's tactics book.

38 minutes ago, JFPar said:

Straight out of AJ's tactics book.

This is really the worry, isn't it?

Crawford has the ability to make a lot of mistakes and get away with it because of what he done for this club as a player. If it had been John Hughes or Stephen Aitken etc in charge for this spell then I'm fairly convinced the majority of the support would have wanted them emptied by now.

We're not near that point yet but Crawford has to make the most of having the fans on his side. I felt Celtic was a huge step forwards but then Saturday was a steady jog back.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

We only played with two midfielders on Saturday - Stanton and Harkes. Butcher was at centre half.

It definitely wasn't a strict 442, without the ball you would have Shankland up by himself, was more of a 4231 you were playing.

At one point in the second half you went with 5 at the back, was very bizarre and it's where we had our best spell, you then swiftly went back to a four. 

2 hours ago, JFPar said:

Kyle Turner should have started on Saturday in place of one of the strikers. We should have went with one up top, filled out the midfield and tried to catch them on the break. Instead we played high balls to Dundee United's giraffe like centre-half's who just lapped it up. Straight out of AJ's tactics book.

Hate to agree with that, given Craw has looked a lot more tactically astute than AJ. God knows what Craw was up to with that line-up, especially against a vastly superior team. Perhaps lining up against United in the same manner as the Celtic game and catching them on the break would have been a better way to go about it. 

I must say, having seen us in the flesh 6 times thus far, Kyle Turner simply has to be starting games.

9 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Bring back wee Josh

That thought makes my arsehole tickle a little bit.💖

6 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Aye, Vincent isn't - and never was - the answer.

I'm not actually sure what Beadling's position was meant to be on Saturday. He didn't help defensively or push forward much. I think he still managed to do more than Coley, though.

Get Gary Mason in pronto.

I actually had a dream about that the other week. I've never been so disappointed to wake up before.

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

It definitely wasn't a strict 442, without the ball you would have Shankland up by himself, was more of a 4231 you were playing.

At one point in the second half you went with 5 at the back, was very bizarre and it's where we had our best spell, you then swiftly went back to a four. 

Two central midfielders and four forwards for most of the game. When Pawlett came on for Clark you could have argued it became 4231 although Pawlett really didn't drop back. At no point was it five at the back. 

Absolutely imperative that we move on from the utd game,was it a huge dissapointment after our near heroic effort at parkhead? Absolutely. But i think we all knew dundee utd are our bogey team,never mind the fact that in my mind they were/are overwhelming favourites for the league this year. Thought some of the criticism of beadling was very unfair,him and 10 others gave their absolute all for 120 minutes the week before and were literally dead on their feet. Even though we have a team with a young average age,lets dust ourselves down and move on. Ryan Dow and Kyle turner on their game,offering good service to nisbet and i see no reason why we can't record a comfortable away win. Yes, arbroath may well turn out to be a difficult away day for a few teams this year,if we stick to our own game and fly out the traps like the dundee match first game of the season we will be just fine. Euan Murray definately a miss,Lang obviously not there yet. Many too quick to criticise morrison after utd game. Lets see how he fares. Scully still the biggest '?' in our team for me. Goes from the sublime to the ridiculous week upon week. But we just dont have the financial muscle to be looking for better quality there. As simple as that. Onwards and upwards saturday. 4-0 pars. Nisbet x2 dow and beadling.

Is the trialist tonight that boy from Burnley? Sounds as if he’s had a really good game. Lang absolutely strolling it as well apparently. Surely he’s fit enough to be in contention.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Two central midfielders and four forwards for most of the game. When Pawlett came on for Clark you could have argued it became 4231 although Pawlett really didn't drop back. At no point was it five at the back. 

With Appere dropping off you had a fairly distinct line between the two cdms, 3 cams and Shankland. 

It absolutely was a five at the back for ten/fifteen minutes in the second half. 

Is the trialist tonight that boy from Burnley? Sounds as if he’s had a really good game. Lang absolutely strolling it as well apparently. Surely he’s fit enough to be in contention.

Yes, players were certainly calling him Vinnie. If he signs, I’d imagine he’ll be one for the reserves/for the future. Looks good on the ball, he’s very quick and beat his man with ease. However, his final ball was often terrible. Think he’s only 18 or so though and that will improve with coaching.

Lang played very well. He looks strong and has a bit of pace about him. Was commanding the defence and looks really good and confident with the ball at his feet - some of his passing was top quality. I am aware though, that this was East Fife’s fringe players, which is a much easier test than he’d get in a league game, but it was promising nonetheless.

Young Sawers on the right wing and Cameron Graham looked very good and was surprised by how young they are. Bowman and Edwards at full back both bombed down the wings and look quick and comfortable with the ball. Greg Shields has that team playing some really entertaining football.

Just now, CallumPar said:

Yes, players were certainly calling him Vinnie. If he signs, I’d imagine he’ll be one for the reserves/for the future. Looks good on the ball, he’s very quick and beat his man with ease. However, his final ball was often terrible. Think he’s only 18 or so though and that will improve with coaching.

Lang played very well. He looks strong and has a bit of pace about him. Was commanding the defence and looks really good and confident with the ball at his feet - some of his passing was top quality. I am aware though, that this was East Fife’s fringe players, which is a much easier test than he’d get in a league game, but it was promising nonetheless.

Young Sawers on the right wing and Cameron Graham looked very good and was surprised by how young they are. Bowman and Edwards at full back both bombed down the wings and look quick and comfortable with the ball. Greg Shields has that team playing some really entertaining football.

No way would we get him on a free from Burnley so if he's not ready for the first team then it would be an utterly pointless addition.

There were quite a few experienced players for East Fife far more than our none.