Walking Down The Halbeath Road

16 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We're very short out wide, Coley or Dow being out would cripple us. Also gives us a lack of scope for changing things during a match if Coley or Dow aren't at the races, admittedly I've not seen allot of Edwards. 

Would imagine Edwards and Ryan would be used as replacements down the left and right?

Are any of the younger lads wingers?

Todd? He played wide right last season.

He’s mainly a center mid, tbh he didn’t play well when out wide, wasn’t good at protecting his full back and didn’t offer a big attacking outlet. He wasn’t comfortable there, best when he can get on the ball in midfield.

Edwards is a left back naturally.

We have quite a few who can fill in if required. McCann, Edwards, todd, probably ryan and I think comrie might have said when he was signing he can do so as well. Maybe even mcgill but absolutely none of them are natural and we’ll massively miss Dow and coley if they miss games/go off form.

Crosbie and sawers who play wide for the reserves have been loaned out to crossgates. Bowman’s best position I’m not sure on but i don’t think he’ll be playing first team much this year.

Celtic game might loosen up the budget slightly but I don’t really see any need to be signing anyone else apart from the winger we were already looking for, this just might help maybe up the quality of who we get or push any deal over the line.

Biazzare to see CM and ST brought up given the number of options we have in both positions.

10 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Biazzare to see CM and ST brought up given the number of options we have in both positions.

Do we really have that much up front? Nisbet and Ryan seem to be the only natural strikers, with maybe McGill as back-up. 

I think, like a lot of clubs, we'll be left very stretched with a handful of injuries/suspensions.

Do we really have that much up front? Nisbet and Ryan seem to be the only natural strikers, with maybe McGill as back-up. 
I think, like a lot of clubs, we'll be left very stretched with a handful of injuries/suspensions.

Nisbet, ryan, mcgill and McCann. Given we’re quite happy to play 4-2-3-1 that’s more than enough.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Nisbet, ryan, mcgill and McCann. Given we’re quite happy to play 4-2-3-1 that’s more than enough.

Well, since Ryan has played behind Nisbet already and we have no idea if McGill or McCann will be up to standard, I certainly wouldn't be ticking it off as job done.

We'll be tight for numbers this season but hopefully the quality of the core group will be enough to see us to a good year.

It's hardly bizzare. The key to doing well in any league is strength in depth, if we lost Beadling and Nisbet with injuries we would be significantly short of options. McGill is nowhere near good enough to play week in week out at championship level and Smith has gone out on loan, obviously we have Lewis McCann bit definitely think we need backups in these positions. Joe Thomson will be like a new signing when he's fit.

It's hardly bizzare. The key to doing well in any league is strength in depth, if we lost Beadling and Nisbet with injuries we would be significantly short of options. McGill is nowhere near good enough to play week in week out at championship level and Smith has gone out on loan, obviously we have Lewis McCann bit definitely think we need backups in these positions. Joe Thomson will be like a new signing when he's fit.

You want us to have ready made replacements for guys like nisbet and beadling? If so you need to give Roy mcgregor a call and convince him to change allegiances.

We are going to need to use youths to fill gaps at times, we’ve already used Morrison to fill in for Murray with Devine and Lang lacking fitness.

Other positions will need guys like Todd and McCann to step in as well. We need wide options as there’s no youngsters who can get chucked in.

Craw and Ross have made it pretty clear the squad is complete unless we rake it in before the end of the window and can add another attacker. This is the new reality - we're not going to carry a big squad of average players. 

At one point or another this season, we're going to have 3 or 4 out of Todd, McGill, Allan, Morrison, McCann etc starting because first team regulars are unavailable. It'll be frustrating I'm sure but as Shandon say, that's just the kind of situation we - and many other clubs - find ourselves in. Crawford looks to have done a good job so far with assembling a squad which has a good mix of experience, key players from the lower leagues and down south, and a promising bunch from our own set-up who, by all accounts, are learning under a decent coach in Greg Shields.

Our future strategy is to give youth a chance. It would be strange if the club now went out and signed established players because McCann and McGill might not be ready.

As said above, we need to give them time on the pitch if they are going to develop.  It might mean dropped points along the way but that's life. If we can give these young prospects loads of game time and stay away from relegation, I will be happy.

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Well, so be it. If it helps them become even better players for us, great. How else are they meant to improve if they don't play?

I don't have a problem with the young guys getting a shot at all. I've been vocal about us going down pretty much this exact route for a number of years now and feel it's the only way we can feasibly compete going forward, without overspending.

I'm also not naive to assume just playing youngsters will be hugely successful. The players need to be good enough and while I certainly hope they will be, I haven't seen enough of most of them to say whether that's the case or not.

I'm also not convinced that everyone will be so calm and understanding, if we hit another poor run of form like last season. Even after the Edinburgh City defeat, there were boos and shouts; that game didn't even matter greatly.

tl;dr I like the way we're trying to run things but I'm not yet convinced our squad is good enough to be successful or fans will patient enough to let it work.

Even after the Edinburgh City defeat, there were boos and shouts; that game didn't even matter greatly.

I actually thought that the fans handled losing to Edinburgh pretty well. The less patient of our fans moaned throughout as always but most seemed accepting of it. That game had potential to get ugly if fans were not in the mindset of it’s a bad day for new young side who have done well so far.

Especially with the players entry being next to where the fans were going out with no tunnel. If we had suffered such a result near the end of Johnston’s era then there could have been a riot.

A significant proportion of football fans are arseholes who think they can behave how they want towards players, but as long as the majority of us can be patient then the players shouldn’t go into their shell too badly.

That said be patient now is easy, a long losing streak will test that much more.

49 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Even after the Edinburgh City defeat, there were boos and shouts; that game didn't even matter greatly.

Tbf I thought the fans took that pretty well, the vast majority of fans just turned and walked out, losing to a bottom tier side in the closing moments is always going to get grumbles. 

First Team Squad Depth:
GK - Scully, Gill.
RB - Comrie, Martin, Murray.
LB - Martin, Edwards, Murray.
CB x2- Ashcroft, Murray, Lang, Devine, Morrison, Beadling
CM x2 - Beadling, Paton, Thomson, Turner, Morrison.
LM - Coley, Edwards, Dow
RM - Dow, Coley
ST x2 - Nisbet, Ryan, McGill, McCann, Turner, Coley

Honestly don't believe it's worth filling your pants over our squad depth atm. Just because we'll get a payday from this Celtic game doesn't mean the money should be spunked away immediately. I'd rather we wait until January, assess things and go from there. Until then give the young guys a chance wherever it is needed.

Admittedly, we look bare on the wing, however if push came to shove, I'm sure players such as McCann, Turner or Ryan would be relatively competent in these positions. I've not listed players like Bowman, Todd or Allan as tbh, I don't know enough about them.

As others mentioned, it is important to remember that practically every other team in the division will be in the same boat.