Walking Down The Halbeath Road

This chat does bring back fond memories of the summer of 2010. We played Aberdeen at EEP in a friendly and won 1-0. A young Poet, helping out the club on work experience, was feeling quite positive about the season ahead.

But the mood at the club the next morning was very solemn. There was panic and shock at the crowd being just over 1,000, as the club had budgeted for a much higher attendance.

"We got almost 10,000 when we played last time" weeped a downtrodden club employee. Yes, they were basing their projections for a Wednesday night pre-season match on how big the crowd was for a Scottish Cup quarter-final on a Saturday afternoon.

Spoiler alert; we almost went bust within a few years because these idiots were in charge of decision-making. Well, that and paying absolute shite like Andy Dowie over 1K per week.

3 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:
12 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:
I'm not sure I could defend £15 to attend a non-competitive football match, particularly two teams at this level.

How can we fund better players if folk are moaning about what's effectively not even the price of a good pub meal? Mr Pink there, doesn't tip if it's non competitive.

Are you on the wind-up? What sort of gibbering fool would pay more than £15 for a pub lunch?

23 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

This chat does bring back fond memories of the summer of 2010. We played Aberdeen at EEP in a friendly and won 1-0. A young Poet, helping out the club on work experience, was feeling quite positive about the season ahead.

But the mood at the club the next morning was very solemn. There was panic and shock at the crowd being just over 1,000, as the club had budgeted for a much higher attendance.

"We got almost 10,000 when we played last time" weeped a downtrodden club employee. Yes, they were basing their projections for a Wednesday night pre-season match on how big the crowd was for a Scottish Cup quarter-final on a Saturday afternoon.

Spoiler alert; we almost went bust within a few years because these idiots were in charge of decision-making. Well, that and paying absolute shite like Andy Dowie over 1K per week.

Absolutely hoored it down that night.

There was similar shock that playing man u’s kids didn’t attract the same numbers as when we played their first team for nippers testimonial.

There’s was reckless spending, dodgy deals and some outright theft from the club during that era but the misunderstanding of how fans think still astounds me.

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

What was the friendly that got rained off? Probably the heaviest rain I’ve ever seen in the summer.

The wee team. I'm sure it was a league/challenge cup game. There was a 15 minute difference between burning up in the Watering Hole beer garden and nearly swimming down New Row.

10 minutes ago, smpar said:

The wee team. I'm sure it was a league/challenge cup game. There was a 15 minute difference between burning up in the Watering Hole beer garden and nearly swimming down New Row.

I arrived 5 minutes late to Dunfermline; didn't have a clue what was going on. I was so confused when I got in to EEP and the game was subsequently called off over the tannoy. 

17 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

There was similar shock that playing man u’s kids didn’t attract the same numbers as when we played their first team for nippers testimonial.

Jesse Lingard, Josh King, Oliver Norwood, Ravel Morrison and Robbie Brady all involved for United that day.

We had Allison, before his move to Liverpool.

26 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Jesse Lingard, Josh King, Oliver Norwood, Ravel Morrison and Robbie Brady all involved for United that day.

We had Allison, before his move to Liverpool.

I actually checked the match report there just in the off chance 😂

I don't even have a recollection of a Manchester United game after Nipper's testimonial.

I can't suffer a pre-season friendly I think the last friendly I attended that wasn't a testimonial was against Everton in the early 2000s. I went because of people suggesting there was a 15 year old who was a potential £15million transfer in the Everton team and I wanted to watch him. Rooney came on and was poor. Gravesen and Kevin Campbell stood out if I remember rightly.