Parscelona

Walking Down The Halbeath Road

11 minutes ago, RiG said:

Twitter rumour mill in full swing suggesting we are after Craigen.

he's a reasonable utility player, good enough to keep you in the league, not good enough if you want out it.

Would be a very good signing for ICT imo

I'm not sure how he could be classed as a very good signing for anyone. Decent perhaps but nothing more. Saying that I would've had him in our squad for next season. Just think we should be getting better for the wage he'll be on.

Craigen deserves respect for giving it a decent go in an unfamiliar position, and being a passable full-back. He wasn't outstanding and was responsbile for a couple of terrible goals (Falkirk and Dundee Utd away) but on the whole he did as good a job at right back as anyone could reasonably expect. He also had a couple of games at left-back and didn't look out of place there either.

The only real disappointment from his time with us is that he didn't get as much of a chance to play in midfield as I'm sure he would have liked. That wasn't his fault though - by being the only player in the squad who had shown himself to be reasonably competent defensively at right-back, it was usualy the case that he just had to play there.

He was generally a reliable, unspectacular player who did his best for us.  He should be replaceable, but I wish him no ill either.

Craigen is a decent pro at this level, but far from good enough to get me concerned he’s leaving. I would have probably kept him as he’ll provide utility cover in our squad to an ok level, reliable enough to come and fill a hole but rarely a match winner, there’s a pile like him.

Arguably in the top three players over the season but as said a stop gap player. 

That’s cos outside of thomson and j.longridge you have very little to work with. Even j.longridge had too many bad spells.

You have a ‘mostly did ok, couple of bad games’ craigen and Ashcroft and maybe beadling

Then you have ‘decent but not here long enough’ keena, Anderson and maybe Scully.

And L.Longridge as good for a brief spell but poor otherwise.

After that is just a pile of shite. Being top 3 in our side isn’t an achievement.

He’s very much a cally signing. Fits the mold of hardworking reasonably experienced at this level yet not spectacular.

Caley Thistle have signed Rooney and McHattie in recent times so James Craigen would be a wonderful bit of business in comparison.

“John Robertson has really stirred the fans up with this signing” in FM08 lingo

Would be surprised to see him go any further north if it’s true his partner stays down south.

Craigen is a decent pro at this level, but far from good enough to get me concerned he’s leaving. I would have probably kept him as he’ll provide utility cover in our squad to an ok level, reliable enough to come and fill a hole but rarely a match winner, there’s a pile like him.

He’s very much a cally signing. Fits the mold of hardworking reasonably experienced at this level yet not spectacular.
I would say craigen can look back and say he achieved something.
He came in and steadied the ship in midfield. Scored an important free kick against ICT. Took all the set pieces. Next season took over and made his own the right back position from the championship right back of the year even though it wasn't his natural position. I guess it depends how you look at it. He is a stop gap but judging on how far we have fallen back might have been one to keep.
If we can get better than fair enough but hoping hes not another cardle.

Cheers. I'm not buying into it too much but he does fit the mould of our signings - works hard and can play in a few positions. Decent but not exceptional. Will see if anything happens there.

...it’s true his partner stays down south.

The lucky b*****d.

2 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

The most disappointing departure from the club since Shaun Byrne for me.

Shaun Byrne did next to nothing in a Pars shirt. Craigen has also done nothing of note apart from filling the gaps when there were injuries and being a consistent performer without being anything special.

We can get better with the wage he'd be on. 

35 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Shaun Byrne did next to nothing in a Pars shirt. Craigen has also done nothing of note apart from filling the gaps when there were injuries and being a consistent performer without being anything special.

We can get better with the wage he'd be on. 

What wage was he on?

1 minute ago, ShaggysBeard said:

What wage was he on?

I would never claim to know that, but you can assume it'd be decent, and there are better options out there than a squad player that can fill in for injuries. 

Byrne did well but had a slight hesitancy to his game in terms of tackling when he was with us. Completely different player now. Unfortunately he couldn’t get a kick in that title winning team as Geggan & Falkingham were superb.

Byrne did alright with us, and in a couple of games was really good, but it would be totally rewriting history to claim he was a great player for us or was a loss at the time.

He's developed loads since leaving.

Edited by DA Baracus

He was very classy with the ball, different story without it. It wouldn't be unfair to call him very promising at the time he was released.