Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Goalkeepers: Keep all three if Murdoch is fit enough to make a comeback during the season. Gill is an interesting one - he seems highly rated but hasn't really had a chance even in the Challenge Cup.

Defenders - I'm undecided here. Thought Durnan was decent enough at times but he's not had a chance since his injury. Ashcroft was really good last season but hasn't been so hot this year. Devine started off terrible as predicted but hadn't been too bad recently. Of pushed, I'd say keep Jackson Longridge, Durnan, Ashcroft and possibly Williamson although I wouldn't be too fussed if he left.

Midfield - I'd be keeping Beadling, Craigan for his versatility and Thomson. Blair is a maybe as long as his wages are doable. The rest can leave as far as I'm concerned.

Forwards - wow. Slim pickings. There's nothing there really. el Bahktoui looked OK as a number 10 with Anderson but that's about it unless we could convince McInnes to send us Anderson again.

2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Who we are going to keep and who will move on will likely be decided by who is still under contract.

Aye we know that but we're talking about if it were possible to retain and punt whoever you wanted.

I'd keep Ryan Scully, James Craigen, Tom Beadling, Joe Thomson, Ryan Williamson (last chance) and Jackson Longridge. The rest can gtf, although if it's possible to get Anderson and Blair on loan again I'd take them. 

We were aiming for 4th minimum before the season started and I felt that would be tough but manageable. However, that was assuming Falkirk and Partick Thistle would be among the sides challenging, which they haven't come close to doing.

Their struggles should in theory have made our task easier but it looks like we're still going to miss out. That failure will largely be blamed on AJ but a lot of these players need to take responsibility as well; they simply haven't performed for large portions of the season.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

A lot of these players simply aren't good enough to reach even that level.

I'd agree. We have a handful of players that I think could be in a title-winning team and literally one or two that could compete in the top flight (Beadling +Thomson)

The key for us is recruiting a lot smarter and giving chances to our most talented young players where possible. Any of the 20s guys that are being signed up should be in or around the first team, especially if we have a couple of dead rubbers at the end of the season.

It's an odd end. When we looked in trouble we were desperate to be safe. However when we started challenging for the playoffs we were on a roll and it feels like a big disappointment we almost certainly won't make them now. But there's a good chance we would have made a big slobbering cock of the playoffs anyway.

A frustrating season and one we'll be glad to see the end of.

Oh, and AJ's best XI is:  

Murdoch 

Williamson Morris Ashcroft Talbot

Higginbotham Falkingham Geggan Cardle

El Bak Clark

Was Morris resigned by AJ? If so he should be ahead of McAusland.Williamson not signed by AJ either.

Edit falky and geggan too.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Was Morris resigned by AJ? If so he should be ahead of McAusland.Williamson not signed by AJ either.

Edit falky and geggan too.

I thought you meant guys who played under him, not guys he signed

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Didn't make it clear I meant his actual signings. He made about 50/50 good bad maybe?

Aye he had some good signings and some shitters. In League 1 you can get away with it more as the difference is much smaller. It's much larger in the Championship though.

Actually thinking about it now he probably had a really good signing record (better than 50/50l, but the last close season cost him.

Edited by DA Baracus

Ajs best XI

Murdoch

Craigen Ashcroft M'Voto Morris Longridge

Beadling Thomson 

Higgy

El Bak Clark

On 15/08/2018 at 10:30, smpar said:

I think Ryan and Faiss are too similar to work together, I’d loved to proved wrong though.

On 15/08/2018 at 11:46, Stellaboz said:

Too similar? Pish. I think they'd be great.

On 15/08/2018 at 18:09, DAFC. said:

I am of the opinion that Ryan and El Bak should start up front. Not identical in the way they play at all. 

On 15/08/2018 at 19:13, We Are Pars Fans! said:

I’d agree with Fass and Ryan starting up front.

On 01/04/2019 at 18:37, Grant228 said:

I'd genuinely consider Faissal and Andy Ryan but it's already clear they don't work as a partnership but I think when he's played more as a 10 he's been far better, Andy Ryan has a not bad goals to game ratio and I genuinely believe he'll score goals wherever he goes next. 

:whistle