Walking Down The Halbeath Road

27 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

A mid-season review. Please be gentle..Link

Seems pretty accurate to me. I don't know a single Pars fan that wants AJ to be given more time and I also think Goodwin would be a great appointment.

Faiss, as much as I love him, has definitely not been our best player so far. Not that there are many contenders but I'd say it would have to be Jackson Longridge. I think in different circumstances he could be an excellent Pars player.

Thomson has been good. Would say Durnam looked ok.

Fais looks like the worst signing of the lot, considering the expectations of him.

I would say this for AJ on paper most of the signings look like we should be top four but due to one or two bad ones plus injuries it’s turned out badly.

IMO his biggest error was changing a working formation just to shoehorn in the Longridge brothers. If we had kept or replaced Morris with a pacy centre half then it might have. I really did underestimate just what Morris was doing at the back, Ashcroft and Williamson were obviously being talked through the game by him and have since become dodgy to put it mildly.

If we play a 4-4-2 with 

Murdoch

Martin Durnam Ashcroft Longridge

Beadling

Higgy Thomson ??

Keana ??

This is probably our best team. We have three potential left wingers, all have issues. Hippo, Longridge and Connolly. Would rather have kept Cardle. Longridge looks great on the ball but what is he? A striker, midfielder or a winger? Hippo blows hot and cold. Connolly not sure about him.

To partner Keana, Muirhead, Fais and Ryan. Again all three have been poor. They should be good. No idea why not. Muirhead and Ryan edging ahead just but is Muirhead actually a striker? If he is LM then that’s four FOUR left midfielders. Mental, we actually bought a FOURTH for no reason other than an ego trip for AJ.

We should ship out several players and bring in one quality left winger and a striker and possibly we can finish top four.

Firstly, and I realise this is petty, but please stop saying 'Durnam'. It's 'Durnan'. Also it isn't 'Keana', it's 'Keena'.

Anyway, I think the manager fancied the 3-5-2 because it was the popular formation over the summer during the World Cup. Loads of teams/managers suddenly switched to it after the World Cup. It worked in a few games but failed in a few games. Think the reaction to it in the games we were shit were massively over the top. We've been shit with 4-4-2 as well, although that's our best formation for the most part.

Can't see any players leaving in January unless they agree to cancel their contract to sign for someone, and can't see who in our squad would do that.

We won't be finishing top 4 even if we do bring in a few players if we remain with the current manager.

7 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21810880

At least things have improved since this time in our history.

If you get a chance, go back and check this thread from that period. Some really heartwarming support from other clubs and also VT prematurely revelling in our demise - a fascinating read.

I missed that Geggan story at the time, what a man :wub:. The club has been saved for better things turning profits and hopefully in the near future some success on the pitch as well.

I've gotta say, and I hope I'm not the only one, I do feel bad for AJ. It's not nice seeing a crowd turn so vocally on someone and he genuinely seems like a nice bloke which has added to my frustrations at the board as he did do us a good turn getting us into the division and consolidating us but he's been hung out to dry for so long now that I can't see many fans remembering this when he does depart. The board have to take that on their own chin. 

1 minute ago, All-Star-Par said:

I've gotta say, and I hope I'm not the only one, I do feel bad for AJ. It's not nice seeing a crowd turn so vocally on someone and he genuinely seems like a nice bloke which has added to my frustrations at the board as he did do us a good turn getting us into the division and consolidating us but he's been hung out to dry for so long now that I can't see many fans remembering this when he does depart. The board have to take that on their own chin. 

Pretty much my feelings as well. It should never have reached this point.

After the Falkirk game all they had to do was sit down with AJ, thank him for his efforts and part on good terms. It's been obvious to almost everyone for weeks if not months that it was time to call it quits but they persist out of sheer stubbornness.

28 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

Yep, 100%, he's done the job he's been asked to do, by all means is a nice guy and is good to work with. I appreciate it's rare to part with a manager on good terms but it really could've been done with AJ. 

Sick of reading this 'one result and we go on a run' nonsense from the manager and players.

What about the Morton game? We then lost a game against a side that hadn't won at home all season then draw with Alloa.

We are a badly organised bunch of individuals who on paper should be at least top half. Even if we somehow beat Ayr I would expect us to lose to Falkirk.

38 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

A good result against Ayr, and we'll go on a run passing them come April. Christmas mulled wine is highly recommended.

Christmas crack cocaine I think you mean.