Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Goalkeeper is one position that if Robinson got injured we could get an emergency loan perhaps? I’m hoping Murdoch gets back ok. Gill had a great game against Arbroath, would like to see him play in the pointless Irn Bru cup.

Would depend on Murdoch's fitness. If Robinson got injured but Murdoch was fine then there would be no reason to get another keeper 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Ryan, Fais, Hipo, Londgridge and Smith can all play up front. How much depth do you want?! Would rather the manager doesn't spunk his budget and saves it for when (and where) it's needed

I'd say we have 3 out and out strikers on our books, Fassial El Bakhatoui, Andy Ryan and Calum Smith. 

Fassial El Bakhatoui's record isn't stunning and in reality we're talking 1 exceptional season since he came to us back in 2012-2013 (2 appearances, 0 goals) Scottish First Division. That said he's an undoubted talent with the hope that AJ can get the very best out of him.

2013/2014 season Scottish League 1/Cups, 20 appearances and 4 goals - 2014/2015 season Scottish League 1/Cups, 29 appearances and 9 goals - 2015/2016 season Scottish League 1/Cups, 41 appearances and 30 goals.

Faissal at Dundee isn't great reading accepted that albeit it was at a higher level). 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 combined within the Scottish Premiership/Cups 66 appearances and just 8 goals.

That's a goal to game ratio of 0.39 per game over his Scottish career. Mainly down to that one fantastic season with us.

Andy Ryan has a career total of 60 goals in 194 games in all competitions. That's a goals to game ratio of 0.32 goals within the Scottish game. Chance to shine this season and he will be given game time and we should expect decent service for our strikers. Big hopes for me.

Calum Smith's record  is Scottish Championship 2016/2017 season he had 3 first team appearances with 0 goals - 2017/2018 Scottish Championship/Cups he had 18 appearances and 3 goals - Scottish League 1 in 2018 with Alloa Athletic, another 14 appearances with a return of  1 goal. 

He is a young player short on experience , again an udoubted talent and hopefully he's given his chance (measured) to develop and come through as a 1st team regular.

And  Calum Smith's goal ratio per game is sitting at 0.1 goals per game.

Myles Hippolyte is a winger and not an out and out striker but his ratio is a decent 0.18 goals per game ratio over his whole career so far in both England and Scotland.

It is generally acknowledged Louis Longridge can play in either position (winger/striker) so yeah, we'll count him in a back up strikers position. Goal to game ratio of 0.14 goals over his whole career.

King Higgy has 17 goals in 86 appearances for the Pars, over 2 seasons. He'll chip in as usual.

So in summary there's probably a case to argue about signing another out and out striker and then again not, given the aforementioned opinions pointing out our potential array of forward playing talent.

Last point though all our 3 strikers are all in some way an inherent risk, albeit a measured risk.

Edited by Potted hOuGh

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If we're signing another striker then what's the point of at least 1 of the current attacking players? We're not in a position to be stockpiling players 'just in case'

Never said that we should be stockpiling players in any position.

I just feel that Smith is still too inexperienced,  so that's 2 experienced strikers.

We'll see what transpires.

2 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Judging Faiss' spell at Dundee is a bit harsh imo.

He was used as a bit-part player and played out of position in the wrong role.

Not judging in fairness too harshly, just taking into account his overall career in Scotland.

That said I'm over the moon at him being back and I believe AJ will get the best out of him.

2 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Well playing a dangerous, explosive striker as a striker will certainly help him.

Certainly much better than trying to shoehorn him in as a creative winger.

I agree 100% with that.

43 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Judging Faiss' spell at Dundee is a bit harsh imo.

He was used as a bit-part player and played out of position in the wrong role.

Only after he utterly flopped up top. 

Only after he utterly flopped up top. 

With a significant climb in quality of opposition. Faiss was still learning a lot about his own role/position when he went to Dundee. It was widely acknowledged that, although you couldn’t grudge him a shot at the Premiership after that season in League One, playing no higher than the Championship would have been a good move for him.

1 minute ago, smpar said:

With a significant climb in quality of opposition. Faiss was still learning a lot about his own role/position when he went to Dundee. It was widely acknowledged that, although you couldn’t grudge him a shot at the Premiership after that season in League One, playing no higher than the Championship would have been a good move for him.

He's in the Tele today moaning that 'he wasn't given a chance at Dundee' and is 'frustrated' because he felt he was 'comfortable' and played well against the big teams in the Prem. He's also annoyed that we didn't let him join a Prem team on loan so he had to drop down to you lot. 

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's in the Tele today moaning that 'he wasn't given a chance at Dundee' and is 'frustrated' because he felt he was 'comfortable' and played well against the big teams in the Prem. He's also annoyed that we didn't let him join a Prem team on loan so he had to drop down to you lot. 

'you lot', wooft. Spanked your hides last time we met with Faiss contributing a fair bit. 

Hopefully he'll have a run out on Sunday and turn in a decent performance,  then over the course of the season. That way he may get another chance in the bigger league.

I'll go back to his first period with us. He was adjusting to the game here when he arrived and hadn't played much 11 side football,  but you could see his raw qualities.

He was improving season on season playing regularly. I said at the time he should have spent another season with us, but he didn't.

He may just have to come back to go forward.

Edited by Potted hOuGh