Walking Down The Halbeath Road

This has been posted countless times and is wrong. You got relegated because you got horsed by one the of the worst Airdrie teams ever on last day of season. Then were unable to beat an average Alloa side. Hence relegation. Nothing to do with points deduction. So this spouting that deduction relegated you is false!!

Ok, so we would still have been in the play offs without the points deduction? Thank you for clarifying. I thought finishing on a higher points total would have meant a higher finish, silly me.

Larbert-Par's being too optimistic on behalf of Ayr. With Moffat we had a slight chance of the playoffs. Without him we will be more concerned with the playoffs at the other end, assuming we avoid 10th spot that is. It would be hard to overestimate the pessimism among AU fans at the moment.

Dunfermline are not exactly flavour of the month down Somerset way just now. Or at Airdrie, Stranraer and potentially Greenock. They are perceived as a bunch of chancers who got off far too lightly for going into admin and consequently are now in a positio to hoover up the best talent from likely promotion rivals. This is an understandable reaction but a bit unfair on all the Pars fans who have rallied round to keep their club going. But since when have football fans been noted for their objectivity.?

You can't blame MM for taking the opportunity of full time football and a much superior financial deal. He's about 30 now and won't get many more chances like this, certainly not with Ayr. You're getting a very good player whose improved year on year since he joined us from Girvan. I wish him well, just not against us obviously. With him and your other signings and assuming you hold on to Geggan, you should have by far the strongest squad in League 1 and should definitely be favourites to win it

I agree with Sheldon. We were relegated because we blew the numerous chances to avoid it we had. It's far too easy to blame the points deduction but that had nothing to do with not getting the results that would have saved us.

The point deduction did have an impact though, it's a mentality thing. The players felt defeated by the deduction. You can't do much to help that. They're humans, not robots.

Would not getting paid not have more of a negative impact?

Edited by callum-ayr

The wages situation and the points reduction turned us from arguably the best team in the league to arguably the worst.

I think there was a slight galvanisation after the reduction but we were down to the bare bones and asked young guys to step up too quickly and they made lots of mistakes. We should've seen the Partick game out and we battered Airdrie for most of the game and lost.

You could see the same mistakes last season, you can't suddenly ask inexperienced guys to perform to the level of Dowie, McMillan and Jordan.

I don't understand this stuff that keeps coming up about the points deduction not contributing to relegation a year ago. The team we were left with after the squad was cut on entering administration had 6 games to play, so 18 points to play for. They managed two wins, two draws and two losses, and given how few games they had played up to that point, I count that as a more than decent achievement. They therefore dropped 10 points from the maximum available to them, while the points deduction was 15 points for entering administration. Therefore, the points deduction obviously made a bigger contribution to us finishing up in the play-offs than any weakness or inability from the players who made up the team at the end of the season. It seems so obvious to me that I don't see how it can even be disputed.

As for suggestions of bottling it against Alloa, nah, they were just a better side than us at that time, particulary so as important players were injured for those games. I had no problem with us going down last year, and upon receiving the points dduction my predictionw as that we'd go down in the play-offs. One thing that's often forgotten though is how well Cowden did to beat Hamilton away from home on the last day. It was a great result for them, and they should have got more credit than they did for that one.

U20s players Ryan Goodfellow, Ross Drummond, Declan O'Kane, Scott Mercer, Lewis Spence and Finn Graham have all signed 1 year contract extensions.

James Thomas, Cammy McClair, PJ Crossan and Jordan Orru have all joined the U20s after stepping up from the U17s, all signing 2 year contracts.

U20s players Ryan Goodfellow, Ross Drummond, Declan O'Kane, Scott Mercer, Lewis Spence and Finn Graham have all signed 1 year contract extensions.

James Thomas, Cammy McClair, PJ Crossan and Jordan Orru have all joined the U20s after stepping up from the U17s, all signing 2 year contracts.

Good news all round.

On the points deduction thing.

We were placed 2 points behind cowden who had a game in hand.

We had away games to Morton and partick and home games vs cowden and airdrie.

6 points was all I thought was achievable at the time, we got 7.

Cowdenbeath had home games vs livi and Dumbarton and away games vs rovers, ourselves and hamilton.

They also got 7 points from a significantly easier run of games.

Of course the points deduction was a major part in our relegation, yeah we had opportunity's but it was only superb results in the first place that gave us those chances.

We totally blew it at the end of season 12-13. We deserved to be relegated though, I have no gripes with that. I thought we were going to be relegated to 3rd division a la Livingston in all honesty.

Ayr Uinteds chairmans comments in todays paper was correct , how can you buy/offer contracts to players when you didnt have a pot to piss in last year , every club should go bust ,pay no c**** and start again with a shiny new bank balance

Ayr Uinteds chairmans comments in todays paper was correct , how can you buy/offer contracts to players when you didnt have a pot to piss in last year , every club should go bust ,pay no c**** and start again with a shiny new bank balance

This is the best one yet, we're not allowed to give anyone a contract, amateur football is all we're allowed. :lol:

I really don't know what everyone wants us to do? Just happily flounder in League 2 for a decade?

I think this is what sticks in the craw:

A further trading loss will be incurred next year in this division.....