Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Didn't realise there was a clause in Geggan's contract. Fvck. Our best player too.

Didn't count Scully before as he was only loaned to us, but would definitely like to keep a hold of him. Can't see him getting game time at Partick. He'll be behind Gallacher and Fox. Guess we could always get him on loan again. Same goes for Shankland. He might be expecting some game time at Aberdeen next season though.

Geggan and Falkingham, certainly - not sure about the rest, had clauses in their contracts that if we didn't go up, they can talk to other clubs BUT, we'd be due a small transfer fee for them (that fee has been agreed with the player and written in to his contract). JJ said at the time when they signed it wasn't a large amount, a smaller valuation of them than the Pars actually have, but it'd be enough to replace them if they were to leave.

We'll learn from today. A lot of the younger lads will continue to improve next season.

All 10 teams are capable of beating each other next season, imo, and it won't be easy - but I do believe in our players and I think we have a good chance of at least challenging for the title again. I'd be happy with another top 4 finish, and if we do miss out on top spot, then at least we can give the play offs another go.

Onwards and Upwards. Mon the Pars! :D

Geggan and Falkingham, certainly - not sure about the rest, had clauses in their contracts that if we didn't go up, they can talk to other clubs BUT, we'd be due a small transfer fee for them (that fee has been agreed with the player and written in to his contract). JJ said at the time when they signed it wasn't a large amount, a smaller valuation of them than the Pars actually have, but it'd be enough to replace them if they were to leave.

We'll learn from today. A lot of the younger lads will continue to improve next season.

All 10 teams are capable of beating each other next season, imo, and it won't be easy - but I do believe in our players and I think we have a good chance of at least challenging for the title again. I'd be happy with another top 4 finish, and if we do miss out on top spot, then at least we can give the play offs another go.

Onwards and Upwards. Mon the Pars! :D

That's the thing though Burty, after 2 seasons of being in the play offs in the spin and getting cuffed in each of them, where do you get the confidence that next season would be any different?

Earlier in the season Dunfermline fans were arguing that Jefferies wasn't the clueless dinosaur that the rest of the country thought he was and, indeed, thought he was the best manager in the league.

It would appear there's been an opinion shift on that one.

Difficult to see anything other than a Dunfy title party at the end of next season. With Rangers not in the league though, average crowds will be down to what, 2000? Surely they'll have to cut their budget to suit? Cant imagine guys like Geggan, Grainger, Falkingham etc playing for peanuts, equally Jefferies and McCann must enjoy reasonable coin.

Do Dunfermline own their stadium? Must also cost a fair few bob to run/rent.

I've never thought JJ was a top manager but I respect him a great deal for sticking by the club and working for free. He had no obligation to do that and it says a lot about him that the challenge motivated him enough to stay on. His tactics and ways of doing things I don't think are great. I could definitely see him moving upstairs and Potter taking over in the near future.

Next season we need to avoid the play-offs if at all possible. Obviously I'd rather be in them then mid-table or fighting at the wrong end but title must be the only ambition. If we are staying full-time as has been suggested then anything else would be a disappointment. A big summer ahead for the club and we need to learn lessons from this year. We need a more lethal striker, a keeper (preferably Scully if at all possible) and a few more streetwise guys that have seen it all before at this level.

Hope we can get some decent discussion in this thread and not too much slagging of players etc. It really won't help matters.

Title party? A full time Qots with less resources steamrolled this division a couple of seasons back, the title is the very least we should get resources permitting. And it's something that I struggle to get excited about, which is wrong and massively patronizing.

We need a striker, a good one.

We need to buy wide mid fielders that can play there, make us a balance side. You don't need anything complicated in this division, 4-4-2, balanced and well set up will go a long way. If we sign a ton of central mid fielders I'll cry inside.

Airdrie will mount a good challenge, Morton if they appoint a good manager will likewise. We need to get things right next year.

What about loaning Byrne out for six months? Been of the boil for a bit, he's obviously got talent about him.

Title party? A full time Qots with less resources steamrolled this division a couple of seasons back, the title is the very least we should get resources permitting.

A very Rangers-esque attitude there Grant, one that pervades your entire support and part of the reason the majority of Scottish football are revelling in your failure today.

Earlier in the season Dunfermline fans were arguing that Jefferies wasn't the clueless dinosaur that the rest of the country thought he was and, indeed, thought he was the best manager in the league.

It would appear there's been an opinion shift on that one.

Difficult to see anything other than a Dunfy title party at the end of next season. With Rangers not in the league though, average crowds will be down to what, 2000? Surely they'll have to cut their budget to suit? Cant imagine guys like Geggan, Grainger, Falkingham etc playing for peanuts, equally Jefferies and McCann must enjoy reasonable coin.

Do Dunfermline own their stadium? Must also cost a fair few bob to run/rent.

I know your sort of having a go here but I'll reply anyway.

I was one of people who backed JJ becouse in my mind this season has been a success particularly up til February when the praise was at its strongest, I feel it was unfair that he got no credit for that, he does make mistakes and certainy some of those are baffling , however there has been a lot of revisionism on how our season should have gone, even if it hasn't finished as well as we'd hope. Now I think he probably should hand over more of the reins to McCann /potter but I still think he could be useful. Next year is meant to be his last anyway and I don't feel the need to push him out before that.

In terms of crowds, we surpassed our non-rangers average was 2600. Our target was averaging 2500. Now I expect we might lose a couple of hundred but depending on season ticket sales I would be budgeting on an average of 2300-2400. Of course that will mean budget cuts but maybe not as severe as some suggest.

In terms of stadium ownership, it's owned by a group of wealthy fans , we got it rent -free this year but next year iirc it will be £40k from next season, we are however fortunate that the centenary club lifeline is well subscribed, over 1000 fans are paying £20 pm, some of that is payed in prize money but the vast majority goes straight into the club.

That's the thing though Burty, after 2 seasons of being in the play offs in the spin and getting cuffed in each of them, where do you get the confidence that next season would be any different?

I'm just, generally, a glass half full kind of guy, tbh...I always live in hope rather than expectation with the Pars, lol.

I wanted to post some stuff on .net but given the nightmare admin have had tonight I've decided not to, not through any fear of a ban tho as I'm nearly certain my thoughts would stay.

Basically I want to thank the players and staff for this season, we have progressed greatly this year and whilst we missed out on promotion I still consider this year a success, to finish 2nd so easily should be praised IMO. We haven't performed well in one game but I don't feel that should be enough to ignore what was achieved in the previous games.

Secondly I feel a slight need to defend the players under attack tonight, they weren't good enough today, but these are the same guys who strolled 2nd, yes probably a few will find themselves released and probably rightly so but IMO the majority of the squad is good enough to stay next season and I believe that they have the ability to win this league.

And finally we have had the management issue discussed, I think JJ has been good for the club and I'm happy for him to stay, I'd like him to continue to move the balance of power towards mccann/ potter with next season being his last.

I've said these things elsewhere but felt the need to put them together here, I've chosen not to place this on .net as I want to discuss the pars in an open forum, I'm not interested in it looking like everyone agrees with me, if one section of the support is being silenced then it should be realised they are actually putting everyone off from posting.

My opinions may seem a little on the happy clappy side of things but I hope that come tomorrow morning and throughout the next week or so those that are angry/disappointed will see those emotions subside and they start to feel optamistic for the future again

Title party? A full time Qots with less resources steamrolled this division a couple of seasons back, the title is the very least we should get resources permitting. And it's something that I struggle to get excited about, which is wrong and massively patronizing.

We need a striker, a good one.

We need to buy wide mid fielders that can play there, make us a balance side. You don't need anything complicated in this division, 4-4-2, balanced and well set up will go a long way. If we sign a ton of central mid fielders I'll cry inside.

Airdrie will mount a good challenge, Morton if they appoint a good manager will likewise. We need to get things right next year.

What about loaning Byrne out for six months? Been of the boil for a bit, he's obviously got talent about him.

Grant, we don't "need" to do or have anything of the things you say. What we need to do is add & subtract properly & take it from there. If it means being able to afford certain players or staff then fine. If not, well yes it might be a long season but if we have a club at the end of it then that'll do for me. We should never, EVER as fans be put in the position we were in last October when a judge was deciding our fate in a court. The single worst day of my life. Don't forget it.

I wanted to post some stuff on .net but given the nightmare admin have had tonight I've decided not to, not through any fear of a ban tho as I'm nearly certain my thoughts would stay.

Basically I want to thank the players and staff for this season, we have progressed greatly this year and whilst we missed out on promotion I still consider this year a success, to finish 2nd so easily should be praised IMO. We haven't performed well in one game but I don't feel that should be enough to ignore what was achieved in the previous games.

Secondly I feel a slight need to defend the players under attack tonight, they weren't good enough today, but these are the same guys who strolled 2nd, yes probably a few will find themselves released and probably rightly so but IMO the majority of the squad is good enough to stay next season and I believe that they have the ability to win this league.

And finally we have had the management issue discussed, I think JJ has been good for the club and I'm happy for him to stay, I'd like him to continue to move the balance of power towards mccann/ potter with next season being his last.

I've said these things elsewhere but felt the need to put them together here, I've chosen not to place this on .net as I want to discuss the pars in an open forum, I'm not interested in it looking like everyone agrees with me, if one section of the support is being silenced then it should be realised they are actually putting everyone off from posting.

My opinions may seem a little on the happy clappy side of things but I hope that come tomorrow morning and throughout the next week or so those that are angry/disappointed will see those emotions subside and they start to feel optamistic for the future again

Good post. Exactly how I feel. I understand it's all still a bit raw but once the dust settles we need a strong statement from the board about the season ahead with clear vision about finances etc. I would expect nothing less from them.

Edited by da_no_1

Reckon yesterday was a pretty unacceptable performance. It's time to face the reality that too many of the younger players simply aren't good enough over the course of a season. Many are decent in individual games but simply lack consistency. Of course all players, even the best ones, will go through spells where they aren't playing so well, but too many of our players do it too often and are shown up against the better teams. Also there is no excuse for how weak and how easily the team were out-muscled.

The team were given, rightly I think, a bit of a 'bye' in terms of performances and results and the younger players were given a chance to prove themselves after the near death of the club. Some have taken this chance and should be kept on, but others should not be kept on. We can't afford to keep paying those who aren't good enough. Some of the more senior players should also be allowed to leave. I feel the time for letting some players off with too many poor performances and mistakes is over. I'm not saying that we be critical of players and boooo them, but I do think we really need to have a look at the squad and accept that some aren't good enough.

Obviously we don't have the money to go out and sign a whole load of players, but if players are allowed to leave and thus free up wages, we should be looking to improve areas. The defence is the main area, as frankly we've been pish there all season. Morris started off well but has simply not lived up to his inexplicable hype. Page is pretty poor and I'm not sure where all the great praise for him came from. Williamson simply isn't a defender and should be used more as a winger. Did you see his laughable attempt at a tackle for Cowden's third yesterday?! Thought Whittle was very unlucky to lose his place to Grainger. I'd punt Grainger and play Whittle at left back. He isn't actually that good going forward/on the wing as has been proven recently.

The midfield is an area where I think we are alright if we can keep key players but we need width. Geggan got the POTY and for a reason; would love to hold on to him. Falkingham has been poor over the last few games, but I thought had a very good season overall and would love to keep him. Husband flatters to deceive too often I feel. Forbes has been a disappointment. What we really need to strengthen is width I feel.

Upfront we've been really unlucky with the three main strikers being injured for so long. Hope we can keep Wallace and would be pleased to see Shankland and Moore back if we can get them on loan again (and hopefully if Moore recovers). Those three and Smith would be brilliant.

The main change I'd like to see however is in the management. For some reason some people have called Jeffries a 'legend' Utter garbage. He is nowhere near that and never will be for the Pars. I'm afraid his record can no longer be ignored. Whilst it would be harsh to blame the relegation from the SPL on him, he was unable to do anything to halt the slide. The points deduction cannot be blamed on the relegation from the First Division. Even after the points deduction, it was still in our hands to avoid the playoffs and we blew it. Then came the playoffs, with two disgusting displays away from home and ultimately a relegation. Then this season the slump towards the end of the season was highly alarming. The performance at Stranraer was poor and the performance at Central Park was terrible. However we still had the chance yesterday to do it but turned in an utterly abysmal performance, probably the worst of the season. Even the game at Station Park where we were pumped 4-0 we played better (quite a bit better actually). How long can he get away with such results and performances now? I'd also like to see Neil McCann go as I don't think anyone who peddles the bullshit that 'Scotland needs the 'old firm'' should be at the club. Who to get in? Not sure and it's not my job, but there are plenty of options I'd imagine. Just not Kenny Shiels!

Finally I want to comment on the Leishman thing before the game yesterday. No idea why so many are attacking him and spouting pish about how it was 'all about him' or 'ego driven' etc etc. Leishman is in no way exempt or above criticism, and should he do anything to deserve should be rightly called out on it. But all he did yesterday was to take a unique opportunity to tell thousands of fans who aren't usually at East End about the Pars Lifeline scheme. He tried to get the fans to quieten down so he could them about it. That's all. As for the aeroplane thing, he was encouraged by loads of folk to do it and only did so for about all of three seconds. If he didn't I'm sure folk would rip him that too. Can someone explain how those actions make it 'all about him' or were 'ego driven'? How dare he try and raise awareness of a scheme that helps raise money for the club! What a dick! Boooooooo!

Edited by DA Baracus

Some utter pish being posted on dafc.net. I can't respond to my thread. People are saying that Cowden have have years to build their team etc.

I thought the years of hiding the truth was finished on there but the very people who got so outraged about it are doing the same now.

Some utter pish being posted on dafc.net. I can't respond to my thread. People are saying that Cowden have have years to build their team etc.

I thought the years of hiding the truth was finished on there but the very people who got so outraged about it are doing the same now.

Just avoid that site. I stopped posting on it during the administration saga. Glad I did. Full of utter arseholes as well as an admin team who seem to be on some sort of amusing power trip. p***ks.

Also that argument is shite. Since many of our younger players featured, surely they have had years to play together and be built as a team?

Hopefully the 'young, inexperienced' shite will be dropped now as well. I got pelters from other Pars fans for saying it should be cut out and that much of the squad was actually quite experienced. Some went on as if it was a novel idea and we were the first to do it, despite many teams doing it far before we did and to much better success.

DA B's long post

Lots of good food for thought. Good to see healthy debate. It's only right and proper to question the players and management after a pretty tough defeat and I hope the board take stock of the situation and do what they think is best - be it backing the current setup or making changes.

My natural inclination would be to keep faith in most of the lads, strengthen where we can and give it a go again next year. They'd know the opponents, grounds etc much better and there really would be no excuses for at least putting in a challenge near the top.

However, I thought Cowden fans were a bit quick to get on Cameron's back but Jimmy Nic seemed to be able to get so much more out of the same group of players. Look at Bollan at Airdrie. Look at Kenny Shiels too - there's no simple recipe for success.

Some good points DA Baracus.

I think the Jefferies thing is all to do with his attitude and commitment rather than his actuall managing of the team. Let's be honest, it's been a fairly dire few seasons on the pitch. There's nothing he could have done about the SPL campaign and he deserves enormous credit for staying on for free post-admin. This season has ultimately been a failure when you get right down to it though, as they were clearly aiming for promotion.

There will be a lot of pressure on him next season though. We're staying full-time, there isn't the uncertainty hanging over the club any more. He has to get the right squad together and that means new contracts, new signing and releasing others. Don't go daft but a few more experienced guys to help the younger guys along. Forbes, Grainger and Page haven't exactly set the heather alight though.