Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Geggan is a 25 year old who played for Livingston as a youth player before joining Dumbarton in 2006. He played there for five seasons making 164 appearances in all competitions scoring 9 goals. He won a winner's medal with Dumbarton as they won the Third Division in 2009. The midfielder joined Ayr United in June 2011 and went on to make 43 starts for the Somerset Park side, scoring six times.

Just off the top of my head.

Geggan will do a good job for you. Nothing spectacular but hard worker with a bit of skill and will chip in a few goals too. Good luck to him.... Bar the games against us.

All this "they're second division players so must be rubbish" chatter reminds me of when we picked up the likes of Stewart Petrie and Davie Bingham from Forfar, and obviously Steven Bell, who proved themselves in the First Division and, in the case of the former, the Premier. And Dundee United have plundered the lower leagues for players in recent times and haven't exactly done badly.

Hopefully the guys will be able to take their chance. It's a step up for them, not least in moving to full-time football, but I have every faith they can do well for us. Welcome to them and the best of luck to them as well.

Edited by Larbert_Par

I'm content with the fact that the intent of signing so many young players from lower leagues is just so that we can start from scratch. If we can survive financially on the first division for a few seasons while we rebuild then I'm happy with that. We have to be ambitious and constantly aiming for the SPL so that we can stay there for good, but it has been positively recognised that that is not possible as the core squad we have had in the last couple of years is far too weak for the top flight of Scottish football.

We have relied on players like Hardie, Cardle, Graham etc to get us into the SPL and keep us there, and those sort of players are a million miles away from Crawford, Brewster, Nicholson, Skerla and co.

So JJ looks like he has the right idea of starting from a youthful squad, where we can progress from that and hopefully bring in players capable at SPL level.

And, believe it or not, I haven't been drinking tonight. unsure.gif

Can't remember seeing any of them playing so will be able to treat them all with an open mind. Hopefully they can entertain the fans and make their mark on the club in a positive way.

Also new away kit:

F7deP.jpg

May I be the first to comment in this thread, that is one horror show of an away top.

All this "they're second division players so must be rubbish" chatter reminds me of when we picked up the likes of Stewart Petrie and Davie Bingham from Forfar, and obviously Steven Bell, who proved themselves in the First Division and, in the case of the former, the Premier. And Dundee United have plundered the lower leagues for players in recent times and haven't exactly done badly.

Hopefully the guys will be able to take their chance. It's a step up for them, not least in moving to full-time football, but I have every faith they can do well for us. Welcome to them and the best of luck to them as well.

I've seen Wallace with Rovers, played on the right wing where he was ineffective. But then again, up top he was scoring for fun at East Fife, and should do decent for the Pars. I couldn't tell you what Geggan was like, even after seeing Ayr four times last season, but that's largely due to poor memory. He must have been doing something right as we only picked up one point in four and were knocked out the challenge cup at cappielow by Ayr. Sure all three will be good enough for the first. There isn't the same gulf in quality for players moving to established clubs as there was before.

I really hope that the majority of our fans this season stick with the young guys throughout, even if things aren't going well. It's one thing to say you want to see younger players and complimenting JJ but it's another to stay reasonable and logical even after we've been bullied and beaten by Dumbarton at EEP. Unless we are incredibly lucky this "project" will take time and the fans need to try and be supportive of it and back the players even when times are tough. Could be a very fun season if we go in with our eyes open.

I really hope that the majority of our fans this season stick with the young guys throughout, even if things aren't going well.

I just bought my first season ticket for a few years, so I'm prepared to give JJ and his younger players a chance. Hopefully we get a fair few more season tickets sold.

Geggan is a player on the up I reckon. I'm not sure how far he can go and maybe doing a decent job for Dunfermline, possibly even at the bottom of the SPL will represent a success for him but he will definitely offer something.

He scores a few goals, including headers, with his runs into the box and is a fairly energetic player. Maybe not the silky passes type, but a real grafter and relatively skillful. It's a non-gamble signing for Pars and there's a chance he'll emerge as a real favourite. If not then nothing has been lost.

I'll watch his progress with interest.

Andy Geggan was, and still is, a favourite amongst our fans from his time with us, not only for his graft and determination on the pitch, but for the fact that he's a very decent guy too.

He started as a right-back when with us, but became a swashbuckling, all action midfielder in his last few seasons, and he definitely has the potential to 'make it' full-time and move up the levels. He's a good tackler, has a great engine and fitness, and for someone who's not that tall, is decent in the air too. He might not win every header due to his height, but whoever he's up against, certainly won't get a free header. Good Luck to him, he'll certainly get a good reception on his return to The Rock.