Walking Down The Halbeath Road

6 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Ach boys like Joe will always get it tight from the masses. He can pass a ball and doesn't fly into tackles. Classic scapegoat material 

Good on him

He appears nonchalant at times, but it's just how he looks. Our fanbase love a scapegoat once they've decided someone is pish.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I genuinely don't get how anyone can watch us this season and have him 7th or 8th, you're letting last season cloud your judgement far, far too much. 

Because IMO Mehmet, Benedictus, Fisher, Edwards, Todd, Mochrie and Wighton have been better? You could make a case for Hamilton too although he hasn't played as often. More consistent, making more important contributions, more exciting and dynamic, overall just better. In my opinion of course. If my mind was made up based on last year I'd have wanted him out the door and not playing at all. I'm happy for him to play, I think he's been fine. He's much improved from last season. But let's not pretend he's turned into some superstar, and let's look at who he is up against. More time on the ball, players less likely to punish mistakes. I just don't think he's good enough, especially if we get promoted and want to challenge at the right end. I'm not saying he's shite and I'm not saying we shouldn't play him, just that he's not brilliant and he hasnt been brilliant this season despite improving. Why does everything have to be so black and white?

I like Chalmers he's more often or not the player showing for the ball even in tight and tricky places, yes it doesn't always come off for him but when it does it's usually a decent ball and if he didn't have the occasional brain fart he would be nowhere near this level.

Also it's quite nice that after last season's disaster players are wanting to stick around with us.

Edited by 101

He'd excel with even more creative players around him that find space. He's really good at coming deep, bringing the ball out of defence and then trying to find our wing back or someone in space to get us up the park. 

There was one in particular he played out wide to MacDonald against Peterhead first half, absolute world cup ball. 

Surprised no one has mentioned that we, as a club, were an absolute bin fire last season. No player, aside from Sir Dan of Pybus, did any good last year and, sure, Chalmers was the absolute worst of the bunch. Even Matty Todd was rotten and he is player of this season so far for me. 

Playing under those managers didn't work. 

Chalmers was brutal, the worst of the bunch, and I dont think he will cut it in the Championship but I'm happy enough to forget last season and start again frooooommmmmmmmm......NOW! (The start of the 2022/23 League One Season)

Edited by Stoo61

Chalmers was far from the only poor player last season. Somehow though, some of our fans have noticed the improvement in Mehmet, Breen, Todd, Wighton etc, but refuse to acknowledge Chalmers’ contribution this season.

Chalmers is clearly an important player in McPake’s team. Beside Hamilton, I think he’s a real asset. Hamilton excels at the things Chalmers isn’t as good at. Chalmers is the best passer of the ball on the team though, which is Hamilton’s weakness. There seems to be a deliberate tactic to get him on the ball to spread the play and start attacks.

Anyone at Hamilton last week will also appreciate Chalmers’ ability to take set pieces.

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Because IMO Mehmet, Benedictus, Fisher, Edwards, Todd, Mochrie and Wighton have been better? You could make a case for Hamilton too although he hasn't played as often. More consistent, making more important contributions, more exciting and dynamic, overall just better. In my opinion of course. If my mind was made up based on last year I'd have wanted him out the door and not playing at all. I'm happy for him to play, I think he's been fine. He's much improved from last season. But let's not pretend he's turned into some superstar, and let's look at who he is up against. More time on the ball, players less likely to punish mistakes. I just don't think he's good enough, especially if we get promoted and want to challenge at the right end. I'm not saying he's shite and I'm not saying we shouldn't play him, just that he's not brilliant and he hasnt been brilliant this season despite improving. Why does everything have to be so black and white?

Mehmet, Fisher, Mochrie and Wighton? Not for me Geoff. 

Truthfully the only players I'd have him behind would be Benedictus and Edwards. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

Truthfully the only players I'd have him behind would be Benedictus and Edwards. 

I’m the same, and until recently i’d have him ahead of edwards.

a lot of the criticism does seem hangover from last year,  he’s still not the best defensively but gets involved a lot more now and anyone still claiming he only passes sideways/backwards is watching the game facing away from the pitch.

By the way, what’s going on? We’re now reporting it’s a one year extension!

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Joe+Chalmers+contract+extended&ID=14209

“This week Dunfermline Athletic were pleased to announce that midfielder Joe Chalmers has signed a year long extension to his contract with the club.”  

“On talking about signing his one year extension Joe Chalmers praised the team spirit and the feeling of togetherness that exists within the squad at Dunfermline.”

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Mehmet has been solid this season and improved as much, if not more so than Chalmers (at least until the Partick game where he made probably his first mistake of the season). He's also made some crucial saves at vital times to secure points.

Fisher came in and his being in the team coincided with our run of defensive solidity. He has been missed in the last two games. He's also good at bringing the ball out from the back.

Mochrie is hit and miss for sure but is one of the few players we have who can progress up the park quickly (the others being MacDonald, who is on a fine run of form, and Edwards) and is someone who is exciting to watch.

Wighton was injured at the start of the season and rushed back but since getting full fitness and moving to a more central role he has looked good and is one of our most important players in terms of movement and keeping the opposition on their toes. 

Now obviously opinions are subjective but for me Chalmers has been about a 6/10 most weeks with some 7 or 8/10 performances and the occasional 4/10. Like I daid before, pretty average. If we are in League One next season he'll be fine again no doubt but I have my doubts about him being a key man in a team at the top end of the Championship. 

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

By the way, what’s going on? We’re now reporting it’s a one year extension!

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Joe+Chalmers+contract+extended&ID=14209

“This week Dunfermline Athletic were pleased to announce that midfielder Joe Chalmers has signed a year long extension to his contract with the club.”  

“On talking about signing his one year extension Joe Chalmers praised the team spirit and the feeling of togetherness that exists within the squad at Dunfermline.”

Will 100% be a typo, some of the stuff that gets posted on the official site is embarrassing, takes a couple of mintues to proof read things. I do that as part of my job for others that are sending letters out the door and I think I might offer my services at this Play Your Part evening next week. Last week something got posted out and there was just a random number in the middle of a word.

Also, on the Chalmers contract, sounds like it's been triggered due to a certain number of appearances so he must've had a clause. However McPake played that down and said he'd be offering him one regardless kinda thing.

Edited by The Toun Clock