Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I was under the impression that McPake/scouts identify targets and it’s the board that discuss contracts/compensation with the players/selling club. That was certainly the case pre-covid. I know that it was always Ross McArthur that negotiated contracts. The manager just said who he wanted them to be offered to. This is fairly standard in modern football, I believe. Would imagine Cook/Meggle are the people that would take on that role at Dunfermline.

This is why I mention the board regarding signings. McPake’s interviews certainly sound like he’s done his part of identifying the targets (that’s been the same both windows), but for some reason the transfers never seem to be completed.

Which would suggest you might think the board are, for some reason, refusing to pay wages for signings. 

Why? And why do you think they've lied to the fans about it? What is the conspiracy here?

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Which would suggest you might think the board are, for some reason, refusing to pay wages for signings. 

Why? And why do you think they've lied to the fans about it? What is the conspiracy here?

What conspiracy? I think you’re looking for something that’s not there in my post. I have never said that they are “refusing to pay wages” or “lied to fans”. I don’t believe either of those to be true, so no idea why you’re making that up. I just replied to your post claiming that the man identifying players is to blame. Reality is, we have no idea what the issues have been. It’s most likely partly McPake’s fault, partly the board’s fault. 

There’s probably been multiple issues here. Board are probably (understandably) more cautious after the money wasted on Grant/Hughes signings. McPake could be identifying targets that don’t want to come to this club/this level, in which case, we don’t want to pay premiums for players who don’t want to be here. I’m sure there are lots of issues that have come into play.

But it’s hard to deny that something’s gone wrong. It seemed clear from the manager’s interviews that we were wanting to make signings and we haven’t. Regardless of who is to blame, it’s something that needs to be sorted.

Edited by CallumPar

I'd get it not being an issue our end if other clubs hadn't managed to bring people in but they have. That was the excuse used in the summer but it isn't the case here. 

Transparency by the club on what has been the sticking point can go along way here.

Communication seems to be the common issue on this thread for the past few days. Having meetings with fans it fantastic and regular posts on social media etc are all good, if there is content. If the content and topics aren't covered that we want to hear about and let's face it they are fairly big items about the club and its future, then they need covering and transparently.

Edited by Heaton

What updates can the club give on potential signings? That some players were offered deals and turned them down? That some clubs rejected bids? 

There's plenty or fans who would say they were lying anyway.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

League 1 simply isn't attractive, especially to international players. It wouldn't be the case of just a little bit more money, it would be the case of significantly more money to even tempt the type of player who was viable, in terms of visas etc, to consider it.

So we're back to the club refusing to spend money then. Why do you believe this is the case? When did the investors say they would be providing large sums of cash for transfers incidentally?

Danger of going round in circles here but

They stated they were going to expand the market of players we were going to select players from, so either they somehow thought they could do that for little money or they were aware of the additional cost and haven’t funded that.   Either way they haven’t achieved one of the key reasons they became involved with the club.

20 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Notice in the weekly manager interview McPake has now confirmed we were in for Euan Murray, he wanted to come but Hartlepool were holding out to get someone in, didn't and now that's done. Sounds like it could be something in the summer, McPake a big fan apparently.

Just seen that. If he was keen to come, I’d imagine everyone was pretty focused on getting that over the line. But sounds like it’s Hartlepool failing to get someone else that meant it didn’t happen. That’s just bad luck and not the fault of anyone at the club. Here’s hoping we can get a backup option in the near future.

5 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Chalmers has signed a 2 year deal, interviewer mentions it in the recent interview

Club just announced on Twitter too. Good news, Chalmers has really turned it around and become a key player in McPake’s team. Good news.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Disagree, not good news. He's League 1 at best. Should we go up he simply won't be good enough.

Not sure on this logic at all. If Joe Chalmers simply isn't good enough then what does that say about 99% of our squad? Who have been outperformed by Chalmers? 

Personally think his improvement is exaggerated. More to do with playing at a lower level and not having to do as much defensively.  

He doesn't tackle and he gives the ball away quite a lot.  He was one I though we might try and upgrade in the summer if we went up.

It is fairly obvious this league suits him. Having quick players around him in this league will enable him to do his thing, but in the Championship when it is proper nighty-gritty, he goes missing in the midfield battle because he has no dig about him. He’s good on the ball and can take you up the pitch because of that, but again don’t think that luxury quite cuts it in the Championship.
He still gives the ball away plenty but gets away with it because the opposition is nowhere near as good as what he was up against last season. Can’t say I’m enthused about that one 😂

56 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not sure on this logic at all. If Joe Chalmers simply isn't good enough then what does that say about 99% of our squad? Who have been outperformed by Chalmers? 

Wildly disagree he's outperformed 99% of the squad.

Chalmers has been good this season and has earned his place in the team, but others have been better.

If we were to go up most of the squad would need replaced. There are multiple players who aren't good enough for the Championship.

While Chalmers is doing better than last season, that isn't any huge barrier to clear. He hasn't proved himself to be a Championship player IMO, what with his time with us and his underwhelming spell at Ayr. I'd say he's about the 7th or 8th on the list for player of the season for us so it's not like he's had a barnstorming campaign so far. Very much a meh player for me, and that's my response to this announcement. 

Hope he got it just for having lovely hair. One thing I’ll say, his wife/partner and their wee boy go to every game, wee boy in his Pars shirt and that’s nice to see. Bet it wasn’t easy for them when he was getting it tight last season. FWIW he’s been much better this season, yes he’s playing against L1 players but you can only play against who’s in front of you. He also takes the ball more than most, so It’s not surprising that he gives it away more, all that matters is he keeps looking for it even when things aren’t going well.

Edited by The Toun Clock

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

While Chalmers is doing better than last season, that isn't any huge barrier to clear. He hasn't proved himself to be a Championship player IMO, what with his time with us and his underwhelming spell at Ayr. I'd say he's about the 7th or 8th on the list for player of the season for us so it's not like he's had a barnstorming campaign so far. Very much a meh player for me, and that's my response to this announcement. 

Are we going to gloss over his time before Ayr? Pretend Inverness never happened? 

I genuinely don't get how anyone can watch us this season and have him 7th or 8th, you're letting last season cloud your judgement far, far too much. 

The second half of the Clyde game showed how much he's missed. 

I find it totally baffling how much stick he gets, and how quickly fans are to jump on his back. 

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Wildly disagree he's outperformed 99% of the squad.

Chalmers has been good this season and has earned his place in the team, but others have been better.

If we were to go up most of the squad would need replaced. There are multiple players who aren't good enough for the Championship.

Considering how quick you are to have a go at posters for what you percieve to be over the top posts that last paragraph is wild. 

If we go up as champions we absolutely don't need, and certainly don't want to replace most of the squad.