Walking Down The Halbeath Road

So it wasn't the investors who were entirely to blame for the appointments of Grant and Hughes then? And the board apparently don't vote on things but just leave it to three people?

I've seen plenty of games this season. You don't need to tell me anything. I know fine the situation.

Edited by DA Baracus

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So it wasn't the investors who were entirely to blame for the appointments of Grant and Hughes then? And the board apparently don't vote on things but just leave it to three people?

I've seen plenty of games this season. You don't need to tell me anything. I know fine the situation.

Well we know how much Meggle wanted PG following our 1-4 thumping of them. I’d be shocked if other board members had the same opinion, never mind a majority.

Listen, I’m just venting, fed up with how the window has gone, I know there’s hard work going in everywhere behind the scenes. Lose a key player, don’t replace him (yes I’m sure we tried), dropping more silly points. We can’t really afford to wait until the end of February to recruit, four games minimum but potentially five if the crunch game with Falkirk gets announced.

Have the Germans even invested any money yet? Certainly haven’t on the pitch and this new training facility isn’t exactly up and running. 
we had to strengthen, we are maybe 5 points clear but haven’t exactly been great this season and a few players could have pushed us over the line but we have again failed. We have signed Bene, Hamilton and a backup 19 year old keeper on perm deals since relegation, the squad is ridiculously thin and a couple of injuries would leave us at bare bones. 
mcpake and the squad have done fantastic to be in the position we are in and credit to them but I feel a bit of improvement was required to sustain it

Are we just ignoring the financing from the investors now and blaming everything on them? Are we ignoring the multiple interviews and articles where they clearly said they won't be chucking cash at the first team and the ones that have explained the hold up with the training ground? Of course it still remains to be seen if it will happen, especially if we fail to go up this year.

The rest of the board and McPake are getting away with it then and it's the big bad Germans (only two of who are German incidentally, and only two of whom are actually on the board) who are completely at fault here? That seems to be the narrative I'm seeing across the various boards and social media (I've even seen the daft old conspiracy theories rolled out again).

I seem to recall an interview with Cook in the summer saying it was proving more difficult to sign folk and that McPake and his staff were trying to sign guys from the English Premiership and Championship (amongst others). Perhaps McPake is overreaching with his ambition? It's League 1, we don't need top, top players, especially for cover. Just get someone semi competent in to help us try to win the league. I think he's over-thinking things and being too picky and it could cost us, because we clearly need a couple of folk in.

I see no agenda against Gmbh - I see a very supportive fanbase who turn up week after week supporting the team/players & just want to see some sort of ambition to get us out this shitey league.

We're currently running with 2 fit central defenders & a 16 year old as back-up. That's just not good enough I'm afraid. 

Not ignoring the finances at all. But having our own academy and training facilities will not be sustainable if we don’t earn promotion from league one. McPake has given the board no reason to doubt his credentials/ability to get us out of this league. However, it doesn’t seem like he’s been given resources to bring in players he feels he needs.

I’m glad we haven’t gone out and signed lots of new players. But it’s definitely disappointing that the squad is weaker than it was at the start of January. I was hoping we‘d strengthen. Instead, we’ve lost a key player and brought in nobody. If we see a decent CB come in over the next few days, I’ll be happy enough. Until that happens, I think it’s fair to question the lack of investment in the first team. 3 permanent signings in 2 windows combined doesn’t really suggest we’ve done enough to try and bring players in. 

Are we saying that the board should be signing players now (or the two German guys on it as some seem to imply)?

Do folk genuinely believe the board are withholding funds form McPake and lying to the fans about it? Why?

Why would the board not support signings? Even though they have indeed supported signings in every window. They supported Crawford, Grant and Hughes to make plenty of signings. They supported McPake in bringing in 7 players in the summer.

McPake (and his staff) is getting away very lightly here. For me the vast majority of the blame is on him for this. Even then that might be harsh if they've been doing the work and players have simply turned them down, but there is the suspicion that he's being too picky. As stated, it's League 1, we don't need top players. We just need enough to get out of this league. If we can achieve that then in the summer more signings can be made, and the club is a more attractive one to sign for too.

So it's not OK to speculate about the Gmbh overall involvement in the signings but it's fine & dandy to lay the blame firmly at McPakes' door with no real hard evidence. Weird.

Edited by da_no_1

51 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

So it's not OK to speculate about the Gmbh overall involvement in the signings but it's fine & dandy to lay the blame firmly at McPakes' door with no real hard evidence. Weird.

So it's not OK to speculate about McPake's involvement in the signings but it's fine and dandy ylto lay the blame firmly at Gmbh's door with no real hard evidence (depsite only two of them being on a board of 8)? Weird.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So it's not OK to speculate about McPake's involvement in the signings but it's fine and dandy ylto lay the blame firmly at Gmbh's door with no real hard evidence (depsite only two of them being on a board of 8)? Weird.

Sakes - neither of us know for definite. Best to leave it maybe? 😀

From what I heard about the Mochrie deal, the Germans had very high expectations about the deal, wanting a detailed dossier about how the player would fit in, his underlying numbers, the wage contributions, and loads of other things that you wouldn't expect a League One side to have to do just to get a young guy in on loan. Certainly seems they are very hands on and very demanding, which may make things hard to get things sorted, especially when it's last minute shopping.

Also think McPake saying that they are looking at players for next season is a touch strange. It's fine doing that but these guys probably won't want to come in of we're still in League One. There's a balance to be had and I'd rather they prioritised players to get us over the line this term. If Mehmet, Benedictus, Breen or Edwards get injured or suspended then we are in real bother. Even more so if they miss one of the two Falkirk games.

26 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Ryan Willamson....IGetting a fair amount of stick from the Lolkirk lot saying we have signed a dud ,how was he with you guys?

Was very promising and looked really good, then burst his knee and broke his leg separately within a year. Never progressed really after that and his defending was pretty suspect - got way too much abuse from fans here. Not sure how he's been for Falkirk but you can expect some good attacking returns from him, just don't expect much defensively.

15 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Sakes - neither of us know for definite. Best to leave it maybe? 😀

Yeah that was my point. None of us know but it seems to be 'the Germans' getting the vast majority of the blame for things from what I'm been reading across the  various sites and on social media. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah that was my point. None of us know but it seems to be 'the Germans' getting the vast majority of the blame for things from what I'm been reading across the  various sites and on social media. 

Well, they started it.......

Just now, Heaton said:

I see Nisbet pulled up and had to come off last night. f**k you Nisbet and f**k you Hibs

He wasn't going anywhere anyway, so doesn't matter just now.

Seems like he'll probably leave in the summer for a reduced fee which is a bit shit.

Worth noting that although we've brought in 5 players, we have also moved 6 on. Would be amazed if the business we've done in this window wasn't cost neutral. If McPake hasn't shuffled the deck he's clearly happy with what he's got - not sure how that can be leveled at your board. I suppose we'll find out come May whether he's made the right decision 

20230201_135835.thumb.jpg.1e555d89f0d5c3503e3ae2ca7d00af24.jpg

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Also think McPake saying that they are looking at players for next season is a touch strange. It's fine doing that but these guys probably won't want to come in of we're still in League One. There's a balance to be had and I'd rather they prioritised players to get us over the line this term.

100% - how can we genuinely be looking at PCA's if we don't know what division we'll be in for sure, unless it's guys happy enough to play either Champ or L1.

3 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

100% - how can we genuinely be looking at PCA's if we don't know what division we'll be in for sure, unless it's guys happy enough to play either Champ or L1.

We done that the season we blew the 9 point lead to Partick and finished 5th I believe. Nesbitt, Mccann and Williamson all signed up expecting to play in the championship but got caught in league 1