Walking Down The Halbeath Road

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I kind of took the “we’ll maybe know by Saturday” to mean that they’ll have an answer from the player/club and know if they’ll be here this month, rather than being signed today. Would love to be wrong though.

If Hibs sell Nisbet, I’d like to think we could pay a small fee to get one or two of the players we’ve offered pre-contracts to just now. 

I wonder if we could pay a fee to get Fisher back and signed on, he would probably be the obvious option.

I don't know how far Paul Allan is away but looking at the bench last Saturday we are very short of CM & CB options so anyone who could fill in for both slots would be good.

12 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

If you head over to the Falkirk thread you'll realise all our efforts are in vain as they have already clinched the title. Shame 

You'll be hard-stretched to find a Falkirk fan that thinks we're now favourites to win the title. That would be mental. But 7 points is by no means guaranteeing the league at this stage of the season.

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wonder if we could pay a fee to get Fisher back and signed on, he would probably be the obvious option.

I don't know how far Paul Allan is away but looking at the bench last Saturday we are very short of CM & CB options so anyone who could fill in for both slots would be good.

If Dundee were asking for a reasonable amount, I think trying to get Fisher back on a permanent basis would be a good move. Would minimise disruption and keep our reliable defence together. That’s the sort of player I’m thinking of here.

Agree regarding the need for midfield cover too. But I don’t think McPake is looking for ‘cover’ - believe he wants any new signing to improve the starting 11 or offer something different. Not looking for us to start throwing silly money around. Just feel like there must be one or two players we’ve spoken to about pre-contracts that could help us secure the title and improve the team now, without it costing too much to take them off their current club’s hands. If clubs are unreasonable, then it’s not an option. I’m sure we’ll be asking the question though.

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

You'll be hard-stretched to find a Falkirk fan that thinks we're now favourites to win the title. That would be mental. But 7 points is by no means guaranteeing the league at this stage of the season.

Falkirk fans are very up and down, you had a few of them saying the league was over after we won at TFS. 

Aye, I think we're in a good place but I don't get the (very few) posters who seem to think it would take us falling off a cliff or it be a massive bottle job not to win the league.

Falkirk have got it together for the first time since the covid break and could go on a very good run.  They're already pretty consistent at home and if they start to grind out results away from home, they could put a winning streak together.  There's not much quality in the league and we've seen it in the past when a moderately decent side starts churning out the victories due to having a slightly better team and a confident mindset.

We have a strong side for league 1, and have ground out the results due to our excellent defence.  If Bene, Edwards or Mehmet are out for half a dozen games, we could struggle a bit.

The flip side is, of course, that if Falkirk drop points at either/both Edinburgh and Kelty and we can beat Clyde and Montrose, the lead could be in double digits by the Airdrie double header in mid-February.  I am not suggesting that will definitely happen but the pressure is definitely on them not to fall further behind or begins to look like a tall order. 

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Not one Pars fan truthfully thinks the league is done.

Edited by da_no_1

27 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Feel like every team has very reactionary fans, I'm sure if it was the other way round there would be a few on here saying the same. Can't say I'm not jealous of your current position

100%. But I’m surprised McGlynn gets so much praise for the signings. In terms of attacking players, he’s signed about 5/6(?) strikers so far this season. That doesn’t suggest he knows what he’s looking for/what type of striker will work in his team. I get that he’s lost Alegria this window and he needed replaced. But it looks like he’s lost one striker and signed 2/3 hoping that one of them works.

Alegria and Burrell were working well before January and even then Mcglynn was saying he wants 1 more. Lose Alegria, bring in Allan as an able replacement and Wright as an extra back up. Think Meekison is a great signing going off what United fans are saying. A lot of them saying he's better than your star boy Mochrie! Really interested to see how the rest of the season pans out.

2 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

A lot of them saying he's better than your star boy Mochrie

I think our strength is we don't have any "star boys" but whatever floats your boat. Anyway not long to go til it's "we need to sign a rapist" time........strap yourselves in chaps.

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

If Dundee were asking for a reasonable amount, I think trying to get Fisher back on a permanent basis would be a good move. Would minimise disruption and keep our reliable defence together. That’s the sort of player I’m thinking of here.

Agree regarding the need for midfield cover too. But I don’t think McPake is looking for ‘cover’ - believe he wants any new signing to improve the starting 11 or offer something different. Not looking for us to start throwing silly money around. Just feel like there must be one or two players we’ve spoken to about pre-contracts that could help us secure the title and improve the team now, without it costing too much to take them off their current club’s hands. If clubs are unreasonable, then it’s not an option. I’m sure we’ll be asking the question though.

Yeh looking at the last time we won this league we didn't really bring in any stars, just Brad McKay, Craig Reid and Scott Robinson. Sometimes to go the distance in a league you need some seasoned pros who can get you over the line and add some depth to your squad.

Hopefully Kev's deal is done sooner rather than later and we know how much cash we have to play with although I'm sure that can work against us as selling clubs know we will be relatively cash rich.

I seen a post saying that it's refreshing McGlynn knows what type of player he wants, rather than signing them for the sake of it. 

From the outside it seems the opposite, they lost Algeria who was a physical presence, different from Burrel who likes to run the channels and get in behind. So they bring in Allan who likes to run the channels and get in behind? 

It seems likely Kennedy will be away, unless I'm missing it who replaces him? McGuffie? 

Meekinson comes with good pedigree, so where is he getting played? Do you drop Nesbitt who's come onto a game in the ten role? You can drop Henderson back to CB but then surely you're missing that steel in the middle of the park? A replacement for McGinn? At various points this season you've had Falkirk fans claim he was the best midfielder in the division (he's not of course) 

The signing of the right back seems a good one which should add more balance. 

From the outside I'm not massively concerned, if they'd brought in a Hamilton type to play alongside McGinn, a better CB to partner Donaldson, a winger to replace Kennedy or a physical alternative for there front line it would've been more worrying. Rather it seems McGlynn has signed a bunch of players because they're available, rather than because they're what he needs. It's a very McGlynn thing to do. 

29 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Alegria and Burrell were working well before January and even then Mcglynn was saying he wants 1 more. Lose Alegria, bring in Allan as an able replacement and Wright as an extra back up. Think Meekison is a great signing going off what United fans are saying. A lot of them saying he's better than your star boy Mochrie! Really interested to see how the rest of the season pans out.

Surprising news to me that Mochrie is our star boy tbf. 

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Aye, I think we're in a good place but I don't get the (very few) posters who seem to think it would take us falling off a cliff or it be a massive bottle job not to win the league.

Falkirk have got it together for the first time since the covid break and could go on a very good run.  They're already pretty consistent at home and if they start to grind out results away from home, they could put a winning streak together.  There's not much quality in the league and we've seen it in the past when a moderately decent side starts churning out the victories due to having a slightly better team and a confident mindset.

We have a strong side for league 1, and have ground out the results due to our excellent defence.  If Bene, Edwards or Mehmet are out for half a dozen games, we could struggle a bit.

The flip side is, of course, that if Falkirk drop points at either/both Edinburgh and Kelty and we can beat Clyde and Montrose, the lead could be in double digits by the Airdrie double header in mid-February.  I am not suggesting that will definitely happen but the pressure is definitely on them not to fall further behind or begins to look like a tall order. 

Pretty much sums things up pretty well for me

Mochrie blows hot and cold IMO. When he's good he's very good but when he's not on it or he needs to do a more structured role or defensive role he can struggle. Think Meekinson will be similar, neat and tidy on the ball etc but will be up for a battle in the middle of the park and will he track back etc. Will be interesting to compare them anyway.